Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #16
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
No, two companies joined together British-something and MG I think (I'm probably wrong, but ask one of the Brits lol). And now they're bankrupt.
Depends how far back you're going. The last demise I recall was with Rover, after being bought by BMW, and then dumped (don't blame BMW to be honest, lol), things went from bad to worse...I assume that's what you're talking about? Other than that there was British Leyland....which was just a disaster in British engineering really. It was all really the same group though (Brit Leyland was parent company to Austin and Rover). And yes Jamie...I do hate that magazine, lol....I'm staying loyal to Auto Express (have five yrs worth of issues...only missed a couple )

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #17
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Depends how far back you're going. The last demise I recall was with Rover, after being bought by BMW, and then dumped (don't blame BMW to be honest, lol), things went from bad to worse...I assume that's what you're talking about? Other than that there was British Leyland....which was just a disaster in British engineering really. It was all really the same group though (Brit Leyland was parent company to Austin and Rover). And yes Jamie...I do hate that magazine, lol....I'm staying loyal to Auto Express (have five yrs worth of issues...only missed a couple )
British Leyland!! That was it...I saw it on Clarkson's Car Years lol.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #18
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
British Leyland!! That was it...I saw it on Clarkson's Car Years lol.
I thought it might have been, given that you said "British-something"

They're still sort of about though...

LDV (Leyland Daf Van)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

We had the Chrysler Canada president in our building yesterday, and he explicity said there is no basis behind DaimlerChrysler being sold, it was all just rumours. They have said that there are several new models coming out in the next few years, and a couple more are being re-worked, they just didn't tell us which ones.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #20
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I haven't heard anything around the Dodge dealership that I'm at about Chrysler being sold.. actually they were telling me about some of the cars that came out and are coming out soon (like the Challenger late this year apparently)..

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #21
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
I haven't heard anything around the Dodge dealership that I'm at about Chrysler being sold.. actually they were telling me about some of the cars that came out and are coming out soon (like the Challenger late this year apparently)..

The Challenger was supposed to be an '09 model, so it should come out next year.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #22
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
We had the Chrysler Canada president in our building yesterday, and he explicity said there is no basis behind DaimlerChrysler being sold, it was all just rumours.

And why should he not lie to you? People do it all the time. He has plenty motive to tell that lie.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:14 AM   #23
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Challenger is due to be in showrooms in 12-14 months.

And What, that is perfectly reasonable, but also consider that he really has no reason to lie to us. Being sold would not have any large effect on what we would be doing, we'd just be reporting to someone else.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:32 AM   #24
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
And What, that is perfectly reasonable, but also consider that he really has no reason to lie to us. Being sold would not have any large effect on what we would be doing, we'd just be reporting to someone else.
You're thinking small, kid.

If he says..."Yes, we are trying to find a buyer for DaimlerChrysler..."...then all of a sudden his conversation is recorded on someone's cellphone, posted on YouTube, and word gets around that Chrysler is desperate for a buyer because they don't have a confident plan to rebuild themselves...aka low-ball the sh*t out of them when you send a bid in for the company.

Then there is the whole "company on a downward spiral" image that the recently rebounded company would like to avoid again. They wouldn't want their customers to know they are struggling. A "for-sale" sign will do that for them.

This is why he would lie to you...among other corporate reasons.

Point is is that you are only salesman for the company. You haven't a great investment there so you are liable to run your mouths. For all he knows you could be working for Walmart next week. Or worst...Honda. He won't tell you anything he wouldn't tell the public. Why should he trust you with inside info?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #25
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

No suprise when I found out.
Shit, Ford alreadly owns Cummins, and they still put those in the Rams.
GM might as well take their share too. Everyone else has.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #26
What
Banned

GM is considering...allegedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com)
-- General Motors is toying with the idea of buying Chrysler but the No. 1 automaker would face major hurdles if it were to acquire its crosstown rival, a news report said Thursday.
Citing people familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal reported that GM has had talks about buying Chrysler and hasn't ruled it out.

Separately, the New York Times reported that while DaimlerChrysler (Charts) would prefer to sell all of Chrysler Group, it seems hard to find potential acquirers interested in buying the unit as a whole, rather than letting bidders pick and choose assets.

The newspaper noted that selling the unit as a whole would eliminate buyers who want just Chrysler's valuable Jeep brand and its American dealership network, and also limit bidders to those able to the raise the asking price.

If GM buys Chrysler...the Viper will get bitched.