Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #46
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
My neighbor has an RX-7...just got it recently, and everytime I walk by it, I see the 5" exhaust, and a small part of me dies inside ...I'll see if I can snap some pics of it...

I've seen alot of modded turbo RX7s with huge exhaust. But, I don't count that as ricey.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #47
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
200k miles must be a record or something for a rotary...

Unless he meant the CHASSIS had 200k miles.

As soon as you get your head outta your a$$ you may realize how stupid your comment is
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #48
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Double Post, Do'H

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 12-08-2005 at 10:15 PM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #49
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
As soon as you get your head outta your a$$ you may realize how stupid your comment is

Sure thing rotard

I'll post something that Chris wrote that I personally can relate to with my girlfriends FD (which was babied for all 90k miles until it blew), and many people I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
No, I've seen a few bone stock N/A rotaries go over that mark without a rebuild. Someone who never overheats teh engine, is religious about oil changes, and doesn't beat up the car can go a long time.

Turbo ones much less likely and modded ones not at all, however.

Of course my OWN FC died at 100k miles, but I have no idea how the PO treated it. none of my modded rotaries went that long, that's for sure.

That pretty much sums most rotary owners up.

~Blow your mind~

Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #50
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
I've seen alot of modded turbo RX7s with huge exhaust. But, I don't count that as ricey.

I don't see it as ricey, but just tasteless...and I think he traded it now...I haven't seen it in a couple of days, but now there's some other car (haven't paid much attention to it--also with a rediculously larger IMO exhaust tip) but I'll go get some pictures now...while I collect cans for my school

EDIT: Car wasn't there, but It should be tomorrow morning, I'll put some pictures up tomorrow after school I guess

Last edited by chris_knows : 12-08-2005 at 11:05 PM.
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 AM   #51
importluva
Obsessed with imports

T-bird, read my quote. You are claiming ALL rotaries struggle to get to 200k. Thats not even close to the truth, regardless of what you think or what ChrisV says. N/A rotaries are known to go beyond what your own accord has been through. My own car is still going very well at 167k.

Turbo rotaries will need to be rebuilt, agreed, but N/A should last a very very long time. I still see the original RX-7s from the 70s still running. The 787B won LeMans with a rotary, and after they opened up the engine,it was still perfect . Mazda races the Renesis. Rotaries are reliable and advantageous enough to have been banned from some forms of racing.

Rotaries are not as fagile as you are making them out to be. Don't spew any more misinformation if you don't know the facts.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #52
importluva
Obsessed with imports

And just for kicks, someone in Puerto Rico fitted a 20b sequential turbo engine, mated it to the RX-8 6-speed, and put in a RX-8. The beast is making 650hp, all for $7500. At that power level, the 2nd gear synchros are starting to go, but even then, the tranny is holding up quite well.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #53
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
No, I've seen a few bone stock N/A rotaries go over that mark without a rebuild. Someone who never overheats teh engine, is religious about oil changes, and doesn't beat up the car can go a long time.

The "don't beat up the car" part is not entirely true. It depends on what you mean by "beat up the car", but i have been told numerous times to redline my FC atleast once every time i drive it, keep the carbon out.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #54
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
The "don't beat up the car" part is not entirely true. It depends on what you mean by "beat up the car", but i have been told numerous times to redline my FC atleast once every time i drive it, keep the carbon out.

Oh, yeah, I'll agree on that, but you can't ignore them like normal cars. No detonation, no overheating, no running low on oil, no constant threashing beaceu you think it can run to 8k every time you hit the gas pedal, which is how too many new rotary fiends treat the cars.

As for the race cars, being reliable for 24 hours, with a huge tech crew to keep it healthy, is a far cry form street use. You gotta last more than 24 hours on the road. They make a big deal about it completing the 24 hours, but there have been a LOT of cars that completed the 24 hours, and they pretty much all had pistons. You simply don't hear about the condition of the engine after the race because no one really thinks it a big deal to mention it.

I know you don't give a shit what I say, but I've owned and worked on more rotary cars that you, and I LIKE them. But the number of stockers I've seen make it reliably to that kind of mileage is small, and the number of modded ones that put out more than stock levels of power and made it to that kind of mileage is nil even with top shops putting them together. I've asked on RX7club and teamFC3s, and no one can point one out. yeah, stock N/As with a bunch of miles are able to be located, but mine only went 100k before it ate an apex seal and destroyed the rear half of the engine with no warning. Good oil pressure, no overheating, and excellent running right to the point it didn't...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-09-2005, 02:04 AM   #55
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
And just for kicks, someone in Puerto Rico fitted a 20b sequential turbo engine, mated it to the RX-8 6-speed, and put in a RX-8. The beast is making 650hp, all for $7500. At that power level, the 2nd gear synchros are starting to go, but even then, the tranny is holding up quite well.

How many miles doe that engine have on it? How many till it needs rebuilding?

It's cool and all, and I fully support that sort of craziness...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-09-2005, 03:37 AM   #56
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
T-bird, read my quote. You are claiming ALL rotaries struggle to get to 200k. Thats not even close to the truth, regardless of what you think or what ChrisV says. N/A rotaries are known to go beyond what your own accord has been through. My own car is still going very well at 167k.

importluva, read between the lines, I was being SARCASTIC/EXAGERATING. Of course some rotaries will last that long. I've been specificallyu talking about the 13b-REW in almsot all cases in seriousness. BTW - Your rotary is N/A correct? Well, it still has some catching up to do, my Accord is at 226k trouble free miles. And never babied for a minute.

Quote:
Turbo rotaries will need to be rebuilt, agreed, but N/A should last a very very long time. I still see the original RX-7s from the 70s still running. The 787B won LeMans with a rotary, and after they opened up the engine,it was still perfect . Mazda races the Renesis. Rotaries are reliable and advantageous enough to have been banned from some forms of racing.

I never said N/A rotaries wouldnt last long (when I was being serious), my whole case is agianst the twin turbo REW, as I've had lots of experience with them between the one my girlfriend owned, rotary experts who have owned them, and several other people who have owned them. Okay maybe you DON'T know, but the RX-7 CAME OUT in 1978 as a 1979 model, why is it I find it hard to believe you've seen a ROAD GOING example of a 1979 RX-7 with the 12a motor RECENTLY? My dad owned a 1979 12a RX-7 for a short while (in the early 80s), he liked it, it was beater car though. He admittedly beat the living hell out of it. Wow, a RACE ENGINE lasted the entire race. That's such a feat for rotaries, no really, it is... While that was a nice feat for Mazda and the Rotards, what Renesis powered RX-8's are winning ANYTHING today? Seriously what racing series are they doing so well in?

Quote:
Rotaries are not as fagile as you are making them out to be. Don't spew any more misinformation if you don't know the facts.

Oh really? You want more "misinformation"; well, the FACT is sitting BLOWN UP in my girlfriend's garage back home.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 12-09-2005 at 03:42 AM.