Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
speeder
CF Enthusiast

Ford Laser help again!

As some of you may know I have been trying to restore my car back to show room condition. The only problem now is the engine dies when idling. there is alot of black smoke that comes from the exhaust pipe. The spark plugs are always coated with carbon they are totally black. I have changed the engine, throttle body and oxygen sensor but the problem persists. I really need your help guys

"All units be advised, be on the look out for a black sports car, last seen going airbourne near the highway overpass. The SPEEDER is travelling at well over the speed limit, pursue with caution"
speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
speeder
CF Enthusiast

These are the pics

"All units be advised, be on the look out for a black sports car, last seen going airbourne near the highway overpass. The SPEEDER is travelling at well over the speed limit, pursue with caution"
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

it sounds like a malfuctioning FCU (fuel control unit)or module. Its jetting out more fuel than it should be.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKtEAGLE
it sounds like a malfuctioning FCU (fuel control unit)or module. Its jetting out more fuel than it should be.
the symptom seems to point to it running very rich, but to conclude that it is the FCU just from one symptom is a little far fetched.

Wait, speeder, did you say you changed the engine??
Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
speeder
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
the symptom seems to point to it running very rich, but to conclude that it is the FCU just from one symptom is a little far fetched.

Wait, speeder, did you say you changed the engine??

Yep. The main reason i changed it because problem was much worse in the old engine. It used to jerk violently and used to do 22 mpg. For a 1.8!

I replaced it with an identical engine but not ford. It was from a Mazda lantis I think. It was a reconditioned engine.

The fuel usage now is still quite bad. i got the air filter, spark plug cables and distributor checked out and its all fine. This problem has been going on for about 5 years. The ford guy's in all their wisdom are all puzzled by this. They first told me it was my throttle body then my oxygen sensor or air fuel sensor that was faulty i changed both but same problem. Last week i got the spark plugs cleaned cause they were totally black, so far not much trouble from it. But I want a permenant solution guys please help me out.

Last edited by speeder : 05-21-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
speeder
CF Enthusiast

I also changed the fuel pump recently replaced the standard ford part with a Bosch part.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
speeder
CF Enthusiast

I recently took my car to my trusted mechanic to change the air filter. He said that the problem is because my ECU maybe malfunctioning. He said it maybe due to the flooding that happened sometime ago. My car was submerged till the hood. What do you guys think? His he right or is it a case of trial and error?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

ECU's are not too fond of water -

Neither are the various electronic sensors and actuators used in a modern engine management system
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
speeder
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
ECU's are not too fond of water -

Neither are the various electronic sensors and actuators used in a modern engine management system

But if it is the ECU shouldn't it give trouble all the time? My car doesn't, there will be times when it runs for a few days with no problems. But the consumption is bad with or without the engine trouble. Which other electronic components do you think could be malfunctioning? The air fuel sensor and throttle body have just been replaced recently. A few days now i have noticed the smell of petrol from the engine bay, it's quite strong. Had it checked but couldn't find the problem.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
DBain
CF Enthusiast

O2 sensors often control the air/fuel mixture. My mechanic told me when I was having a misfiring problem. I told him I went through a big puddle and it stalled on me one day when we were flooded up here and he said if water went through the motor onto the sensor it would mess with the mixture and cause the issue.
It wasn't the actual problem, but it's possible, especially if it is running rich and smelling of gas.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote