Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

1987 Chevy Spectrum Harmonic Balancer/Crankshaft Dampener..

Story is, headgasket went out, blah blah blah have it back together, go to crank it over.. timing is off.. whatever, hasnt been running in 7 years i expect that, adjust everything, go to put timing belt back on, snaps. Sort of expected that looks like it has never been changed at 160,000 miles.

And it all comes down to the harmonic balancer, I CANT GET IT OFF!

I've considered left hand thread, ive heated it up, i've gone in reverse and forward for about 5 minutes with the impact trying to break it loose but it just won't budge.. Chilton's way of doing it is: "Remove the dampener to remove the timing belt". Is it just really stuck on there, or am I missing something?

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.. its -10 degrees outside and the less time i spend in the garage (which only gets to about 30, due to not being insulated) is more time to be not freezing my nads off.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett
shad0wslay3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Besides impact Gun the only other way i have seen it done is first just crank the engine over and make sure you know which way it spins, usually clockwise, so you find a good impact socket and a long bar and you wedge it on a part of the frame where it cannot come off, everyone stands a good distance away and you crank the engine over just enough to turn the motor over once, you only have to crank for a millisecond, SOMETHING WILL GIVE wheather it breaks your socket, the bolt or the Johnson bar or the starter, it has worked 4 outa 4 times for me soo far but i gurantee nothing and can promise you will get injured if you dont do this right, meanin be nowhere near it except the guy cranking the car over, whos inside the car
Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Use the longest breaker bar you can find, and then add a piece of long hollow pole to it, this way you are able to apply alot more pressure/leverage to the bolt in question. It does depend on just how much spare space you have available though!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

Well, I'd rather not try shoving stuff in and trying to stop it from turning over, lol.

I'll take the hood off and get my new breaker bar on it.. and put my nice 7 foot lead pipe on the end.. i'll see how that goes, lol
Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wslay3r
Well, I'd rather not try shoving stuff in and trying to stop it from turning over, lol.

I'll take the hood off and get my new breaker bar on it.. and put my nice 7 foot lead pipe on the end.. i'll see how that goes, lol
Yes, if you have enough room, a 7-foot pipe sounds great, lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

Well .. I tried the breaker bar and putting it under the frame, no luck. Starter doesnt have enough torque. I thought the battery was low, but charger says its fully charged. I can bust it loose with the breaker bar, I just can't figure out how to keep the actual gear from moving while turning the wrench
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

any other ideas
Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

1. Your car does not now nor has it ever had a harmonic balancer. Never. It has a crankshaft pulley. The terminology is not interchangable.

2. The crank pulley bolt is torqued at the factory to 147 N.m which is equivilent to 108.5 lb/ft. Additionally it has thread locker applied. The bolt will loosen easily with a decent impact wrench. Your 7-foot long cheater bar is useless unless you have some way to safely lock the flywheel. Even then, you might twist the crank. Air is the only safe way.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

I'm using my matco impact... I heated the whole thing up because I am assuming that they use red threadlocker..
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wslay3r
I'm using my matco impact... I heated the whole thing up because I am assuming that they use red threadlocker..
Good idea. Get it nice and hot so you can melt the crank seal and take the heat treat out of the crank. Awesome. Matco is a short name for "almost as expensive as Snap-On but only a little better than Campbell Hausfeld". If you're not turning it, you don't have the gun, hose or pressure. Maybe all three.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #11
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

Well maybe it is just my ignorance but how else do you loosen red thread locker with a 3/4 drive impact wrench and a 5 hp air compressor.... constant 110 psi
Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

I can tell you that whenever I am confronted with a screw that has thread sealer, I give it's head a sharp rap with a hammer ... the hammer varying from a few oz ballpeen for turbocharger screws to 5lb gympie/lump/bolster for crank pulley/damper/balancer screws. Just don't get carried away, because there are thrust bearings in that there crankcase.

Heating sealer can cause it to harden even more.

Rattlegun with adequate torque and air pressure is the way to go.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #13
shad0wslay3r
CF Newbie

I'll give it a few more smacks with the hammer, think an impact hammer would be a little too much?