Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
bottell
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Unhappy Overheating when in slow moving traffic.

Can any one help a dumb blonde. I have found that when I am moving in slow moving traffic or my vehicle is stationary with the engine running, the temperature with in the engine will overheat and my stop warning light comes on. After a few seconds the fan will kick in and it will cool down. When I am travelling in normal traffic its fine, as the cool air will keep it cool. I have had the temperature thermostat replaced , but this has not helped at all. Please help !!!
bottell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
is your check engine light on??
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
TokyoJoe
CF Newbie
 
TokyoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 67
Radiator could be sludged or system may need flushed, i'm assuming was done with the t-stat? What type of car? Pump may need replacing.....
__________________
TokyoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
smiley100480
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 19
perhaps you can invest in getting an electric fan put in. my husband has done that, so that way there is air cooling the engine the whole time, even when stopped in traffic. hope that helps somewhat .
smiley100480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Valter
CF Enthusiast
 
Valter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley100480
perhaps you can invest in getting an electric fan put in. my husband has done that, so that way there is air cooling the engine the whole time, even when stopped in traffic. hope that helps somewhat .
That is not a good thing to do.
The engine needs to work in a defined temperature. Not less, not more.

I'd suggest to bleed the coolant solution and/or remove any air that might be in the system.
__________________
Valter
FIAT Tempra Stile 1995
165bhp@5250RPM
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Valter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
smiley100480
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 19
hey, i try. lol. my husband did suggest taking a look into the sensor??? i just know when a car overheats, its a huge pain in the ass.
smiley100480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
Valter
CF Enthusiast
 
Valter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley100480
hey, i try. lol. my husband did suggest taking a look into the sensor??? i just know when a car overheats, its a huge pain in the ass.
hehehehe don't worry...

The sensor would be a good shot.
However, I still don't believe that's the case, since the fan does kick in after some temperature... This usually indicates there's air in the cooling system.

Check the sensor too! It might have gone bad and might be "reading" a wrong temp.
__________________
Valter
FIAT Tempra Stile 1995
165bhp@5250RPM
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Valter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valter
hehehehe don't worry...

The sensor would be a good shot.
However, I still don't believe that's the case, since the fan does kick in after some temperature... This usually indicates there's air in the cooling system.

Check the sensor too! It might have gone bad and might be "reading" a wrong temp.
If there was air in the cooling system the fan wouldn't cut in at all, or I've never known them to anyway!

Although she'll probably not be back, I'll chime in anyway, lol. When you say that the engine overheats, does it actally overheat to the extent that you have steam belloeing from the engine bay? I just wondered, as you said the STOP light comes on, but you don't say how hight the guage is reading!

I'll move this, too!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valter
That is not a good thing to do.
The engine needs to work in a defined temperature. Not less, not more.

I'd suggest to bleed the coolant solution and/or remove any air that might be in the system.

why is it not a good idea? they make universal fans that you can set to come on when the engine needs it to and shut off when a desired temp has been reached. i have one on my 81 monte carlo (that originally didnt come with one) and it works fine.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
what kind of car are we talking about anyway?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
Valter
CF Enthusiast
 
Valter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
why is it not a good idea? they make universal fans that you can set to come on when the engine needs it to and shut off when a desired temp has been reached. i have one on my 81 monte carlo (that originally didnt come with one) and it works fine.
Isn't that what comes stock on the car?
__________________
Valter
FIAT Tempra Stile 1995
165bhp@5250RPM
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Valter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.