Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 05:54 AM   #16
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Frankley I have no need. So I skid abit, I think I just need to tone down starts when its wet. Im 16, I dont need to have more grip at starts-- could make me more likely to want to push my accelerations and race.
Yes, but if you need to make a sudden stop, having more performance oriented tires (not slicks of course) really can help you. The thing with performance tires is that there is more rubber on the ground.
Lets say that this is your conventional tire.

And lets have this be your more performance oriented tire.

Now I know what you might say..."those tires only come on low profile cars. But lets look further. From your sig I assume your Camry is a 99ish. So I will now go to TireRack and get you photos of what is available for your car.

This is for your car in your size. For $49 a piece they are H rated (meaning overall better performance and higher speed capability). Not saying that you will use it, but at normal driving, they will perform better than these next tires.

In the first tire, there are bigger cuts (this is used to keep more airflow and keep the tire nice and cool to precent overhating and a possible blowout). Also the first tire has more rubber to the ground, so this means better cornering (performance or otherwise). The issue of safety here is that the performance tires have more rubber to the ground, so if you need to make a sudden stop to avoid an accident, you know they wont give out on you and skid. This is just one of the things you should discuss with your parents before getting new tires. Performance tires/brakes are designed for higher needs, but will perform better with regular driving than your standard OEM replacement part.
P.S. Keeping your tires cool will ultimately prevent one of these
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 02-19-2006 at 05:57 AM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yes, but if you need to make a sudden stop, having more performance oriented tires (not slicks of course) really can help you. The thing with performance tires is that there is more rubber on the ground.
I agree, StiMan, You could argue with your parents and say that decent tyres aren't a form of souping your car up......just a safety measure lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by salim
ok I have a few quewstions about manual. When in first going into second do you have to equalize the clutch and gas like from stop to first gear?
No, not unless you shift gear far too early, anyway. Yes, it requires more clutch control thsn say if you were shifting from 4th to 5th, but not a great deal more

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote