Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
dander99
CF Newbie

won't start after sitting 2 days or more

I have a '99 Chevy Astro with around 108,000 miles on it. I have had it for close to two years (only 8000 of the miles are mine, though) and it has been a pretty solid vehicle. It could use some work on the front end (maybe a whole new one) and the power steering system leaks like a dirty secret in politics, but I mostly like it.

Last Thursday, after sitting for two days, it coughed a couple of times and died when I tried to start it. I immediately tried again and got a similar result. If I kept cranking it, the starter would turn but there was no combustion. I tried feathering the gas peddle. I tried pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. All the same result: a couple of fires, and then nothing. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and tried again and it started right up.

I drove it all weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) without any trouble. But I didn't move it yesterday and this morning (Tuesday) it would not start again. I tried sevaral more times again, this time without screwing with the throttle. Again, only after letting it sit for a couple of minutes did it fire up.

On a previous posts with similar problems (all GMs, I noticed) I saw suggestions about using electronic component cleaner in the ignition. Something about cleaning a security system sensor. There is a security system (now who's idea was that? Who the *%^& would want to steal an Astro?) so who knows? For just a couple bucks I think I'll give that a shot.

Before perusing previous posts here I had two theories:

1.) A small leak somewhere between the fuel pump (in tank) and the injectors that took two days to empty the lines.

2.) A dying fuel pump.

Any input? Thanks in advance,
Dan
dander99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
dander99
CF Newbie

Thanks for the input

Check engine light is not on (which is the only way I have of accessing trouble codes). I believe it has OBD II so you can't access the codes by shorting two poles together, right? And there are some funky issues with the computer on '99 Astros on top of that. I can provide more detail, if you are interested.

I presume it is a fuel issue, but I have not done a pressure test. I have never done one and don't know how it is done (would it be in my Haines manual?).

Every time I try to start it, I can hear it fire a few times, so I don't believe spark is the issue. It sounds to me like it is fuel starved. Not very technical, but that is still my opinion.

I had it towed to a garage this morning. No codes. It started right after the tow (why do they always do that?!?). The mechanic says the fuel pressure is fine (55 psi at idle, 61 under load) and he thinks it may be as simple as the battery. One cell was weak. I have had the vehicle for two years and never changed the battery, so he could be right.

Thanks again for the input, and I will let you know what it turns out to be.

Dan
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
dander99
CF Newbie

P.S. It was not the security issue I mentioned in my first post.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Valter
CF Enthusiast

Try pouring gasoline through the TBI (Throttle Body). You may have to disconnect the air hose and open the throttle wide open. Try starting it up again...

To check for leakages or pump problem I'd disconnect the fuel tube (the one that feeds the injector(s) or the carburettor) and try to start it up.

Let us know what the problem is once you find out! Will help our common knowledge base (the Forum!)

EDIT: Almost forgot: I meant to tell you to start your car with the air hose that goes into the TBI disconnect, because we don't know it there isn't anything obstructing the air passage through the hoses!
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Last edited by Valter : 10-20-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Valter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
dander99
CF Newbie

update

Sorry, I have not been back here in a while. But here's what has been happening:

For several days after the new battery was put in everything was fine. I bought a fuel filter with the intention of replacing it the next day, but did not get a chance to do so.

On Wednesday afternoon I finally had a chance to replace the fuel filter. But I could not get it started to get it into the garage. This was the first time in 5 days it had not started. I tried several times, letting it sit, feathering the gas, flooring it, etc... just like the first time I noticed this problem. After 10 minutes it started, again just like the first time. I pulled it into the garage, changed the fuel filter, and since then (two more days) I have not had any trouble again.

At this point I would like to get the fuel pressure tested again to see if it improved with a new filter, but I don't have a gauge and I believe I have to take the engine cover off inside the vehicle to do this and that is a royal pain in the on this van. Instead I will probably just drive it until I have more trouble...