Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #16
boothe
CF Addict

I don't know, people said the same thing about the Neon and it stuck around forever. The Caliber is supposed to go after the first time car buyers (20-30 years old) - and definitely attracts them with the exterior styling and the gadgets like the iPod holder, musicgate speakers, etc. I'm going to test drive one soon, so I'll let you know what I think.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #17
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothe
I don't know, people said the same thing about the Neon and it stuck around forever. The Caliber is supposed to go after the first time car buyers (20-30 years old) - and definitely attracts them with the exterior styling and the gadgets like the iPod holder, musicgate speakers, etc. I'm going to test drive one soon, so I'll let you know what I think.

I haven't driven one, but of the reviews online I've read none seemed too impressed with the test drive. Most people thought the CVT couldnt find it's way around and the car feeled incredibly slow until you reached about 30-40mph when it actually started to "Accelerate". I can see how the exterior attracts buyers but I seriously think this thing honestly cant last long if they dont put some typical massive rebates on it, like they did the Neon. IF people just test drove this and other cars around it's class (MAtrix, Civic, MAzda 3) they would most certainly buy one of the latter vehicles. All are much more impressive. The only thing I think that reels in most buyers is price compared to competition, but if you option up the Caliber to other cars it's actually near the same price. Even the SXT I was in was $18,400.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

I saw one on the highway here yesterday,
im guessing it was one of the loaded-up ones
It was a silver one with nice looking alloys(not covers)
I dunno about everyone else but I thought it looked pretty good
for a hatchback/wagon

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #19
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Sales should slow down quick. I dont understand how anyone can like the interior of that car. It's cheap, badly put together/thoughtout and doesnt make too good use of a wagon design.

I guess they'll sell pretty well for a few months then really slow down.
Alot of people thought that the PT Cruiser wouldnt do well, and it has, according to what I heard, been selling fairly well every year since it came out. Of course, the Caliber may just die as you said, but who knows. We will just have to see what the market thinks about it.

But again, who needs a fridge glovebox? It is supposedly to hold your water and keep it cold... wtf...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
boothe
CF Addict

Sales for the Caliber are pretty strong, this was in a Yahoo business article about Dodge's sales improvements this year (1% up over this time last year) - partially credited to the Caliber.

Led by strong retail performance and driven by new products such as the Dodge Caliber and Jeep® Commander, Chrysler Group reported U.S. sales for March 2006 of 216,412 units, an increase of 2 percent over March 2005 sales of 212,978. Quarterly sales for the Chrysler Group totaled 562,244 units, an increase of 3 percent compared to 2005 first quarter sales of 546,732 units. All sales are being reported as unadjusted since the number of selling days is equal to last year...

Monthly sales for the Dodge brand rose 1 percent to 113,719 units, compared to March 2005 sales of 112,105. Sales of the Dodge Ram improved 9 percent to 38,709 units. Sales totaled 35,531 last year. The all-new Dodge Caliber posted sales of 6,541 units and established its popularity by remaining on dealer's lots an average of 10 days. Sales of the Dodge Sprinter rose 49 percent to a monthly record 2,060 units as the company continues to make significant progress in the commercial vehicle market. March 2005 Dodge Sprinter sales totaled 1,384 units.

As far as comparos, I think the issue the Caliber has is that no one's clear on what "class" it's in and it's getting compared against a whole range of vehicles, and they often use the base model Caliber - there are several engines available - all of which have gotten a from C/D and others...

I'm going to test drive soon so I'll keep all this in mind and let you know what I think.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote