stay away from hondas
because...?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 AM   #17
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariman666
stay away from hondas

when he was 10 he was mallested by a man that owned a honda, it's scarred him for life.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 AM   #18
JDMprelude92
CF Newbie

GET ONE THAT CAR WILL LAST YOU FOREVER
MY FREIND HAD ONE AND HE LOVED IT UNTIL
HIS FREIND FOLDED IT AROUND A POST AND
THERE PRETTY FAST< AND HANDLE LIKE A
MOTHER ****ER
Old 08-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #19
HyundaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMprelude92
GET ONE THAT CAR WILL LAST YOU FOREVER
MY FREIND HAD ONE AND HE LOVED IT UNTIL
HIS FREIND FOLDED IT AROUND A POST AND
THERE PRETTY FAST< AND HANDLE LIKE A
MOTHER ****ER

handles like a mother ****er? not sure if i'm familiar with that term.... anyway, i would seriously suggest a FWD/AWD type of car for your first, they handle excellently.

RWD's are a fun factor, in my personal opinion, RWD's are excellent to be a moron in, FWD's and AWD's are just fun for street racing and circuit racing... oh.. and everyday use.

Honda's, Mazda's, Nissan's, Toyota's, Suzuki's, Daihatsu's, Subaru's, Mitsubishi's, Daewoo's, Hyundai's = excellent cars to use as first car's.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #20
fudge
let's fighting love

VTEC model pushes out 150hp at uber high revs. Prices unlike the AE86 are very cheap so it's a good base to start from and its light as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #21
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
for a decent first car, i'd suggest a Mazda 323 Familia, either a GT, GT-X or GT-R, obviously they're all different models, GT = non turbo, 140hp, GT-X = turbo, 180hp, GT-R = larger turbo and fmic, 207hp.

also, a '84 Nissan Pulsar ET Turbo is a great choice, even though they've only got a SOHC E15ET engine, they're still capable of 200kw or so, since they're so light, 200kw in a car like that would make it a street demon. stock i believe they've got 97kw (around 130hp) and they can be upgraded easily (universal fmic, exhaust, intake) to take them to about 150hp... then just raise the boost 5lbs and watch her fly!

Most of those we don't get here in the US (or the few that we did have long since gone to dust). We got the 323 GTX, in one flavor, and they are hard to come by as there were only 1500 of them imported from '88-89, and they got used heavily for SCCA pro Rallye.

It's much simpler to stick with the CRX. I had an '86 Si, which was still the first gen. Fun, agile, and economical if you get one in good shape (and expensive to repair if you don't). The '88-91s are easier to find, but tend to be more expensive (though a co-worker recently bought a CRX for $300, it took $1000 to get it to pass inspection)

They make such great dual purpose autocross/daily driver cars...

Another nice alternative, though even harder to find on the east coast, the A1 Scirocco. I absolutely love these cars, and they have a lot of potential...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #22
Inygknok
El del Supra

"buy a hyundai excel"................ wow hyundai guy, u really must love hyundais a lot in order to tell someone to buy an excel and call it a fun and good car......

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #23
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

arnt the 89 CRX's alot lighter than the others? correct me if im wronge
Mx3Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3Kid
arnt the 89 CRX's alot lighter than the others? correct me if im wronge

The '88-91s were all the same cars, adn IIRC, they are slighlty heavier than the '84-87 versions, though different trim levels could overlap.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #25
HyundaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
"buy a hyundai excel"................ wow hyundai guy, u really must love hyundais a lot in order to tell someone to buy an excel and call it a fun and good car......

wow, you're one sarcastic sun of a gun! go ahead, tell him to go buy a fuel eater like that supra of yours!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #26
mx3_monster
im completely sane

yeah the hf's are slow but remeber they are also geared for the highway. My buddy had one it used to be his daily drive and when he took it out to the track it was in 2nd gear doing 80mph
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #27
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds
I'm lookin' to buy my first car, and I've got about $1500 saved up so far. My Dad's willing to put in about $2000, which is good. Currently, I'm set towards buying a CRX Si, seeing as they're reliable (?), and are pretty speedy. I'd like a VTEC DOHC, but I know those are hard to find nowadays. I live in the Los Angeles area, by the way. All I know so far is that; one: it absolutely has to have low miles on it unless there was an engine swap, two: if it did have an engine swap, it must have been done by an experienced technician or professional, and three: needs to be atleast an Si, because the HFs and DXs seem underpowered. Am I correct with all this so far? It's not like I'm gonna turn this thing into a racer, I just want a fun car to drive around.
I've pretty much only looked at Hondas, because my Dad says they're the most reliable. Any suggestions on things to watch out for when buying, or basically any other car i should look into?

Thanks,
Matt

If you dont want a car thats underpowered why are you getting a car from America's Honda brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
when he was 10 he was mallested by a man that owned a honda, it's scarred him for life.

Actually, he told me that story. But in the real version, he outran the Honda owner with his bike
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #28
HyundaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Actually, he told me that story. But in the real version, he outran the Honda owner with his bike

mine sounds better.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #29
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
If you dont want a car thats underpowered why are you getting a car from America's Honda brand?

Because their engines like the VTECs has a good design for low rpm drivability as well as high top end power. Also you can turbocharged them to good effect.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:10 AM   #30
odds
CF Newbie

wow, i goto vacation and come back to find all this helpful information.
unfortunately, there are hardly any reasonable crx's here anymore. because i need the car pretty soon, i'm looking more into civic si's, integras, and eclipses. of course, they still need to run around $3500 or lower. any ideas or things i should steer clear from?
thanks again
odds is offline   Reply With Quote