Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
mike turnvall
CF Newbie

1992 buick

i have a 1992 buick lesabre it keeps stalling as im driving down the road i bought a scan tool (acton cp9001) it gave me code 17 witch it says is cam sensor replaced it still doing it any suggestion
mike turnvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike turnvall
i have a 1992 buick lesabre it keeps stalling as im driving down the road i bought a scan tool (acton cp9001) it gave me code 17 witch it says is cam sensor replaced it still doing it any suggestion
Run your codes again.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ding, ding, ding. This is why we diagnose and isolate BEFORE perfoming repairs. DTC 17 does not now and never has told you to replace the CMP... It tells you there's a problem within the circuit. Based on many years experience with this engine, most likely the magnet has come loose or fallen out of the cam gear. Sounds like it's time for a little more investigation and a lot more work.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 AM   #4
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Ding, ding, ding. This is why we diagnose and isolate BEFORE perfoming repairs. DTC 17 does not now and never has told you to replace the CMP... It tells you there's a problem within the circuit. Based on many years experience with this engine, most likely the magnet has come loose or fallen out of the cam gear. Sounds like it's time for a little more investigation and a lot more work.
I was this close to looking up the code, but figured if someone was smart enough to pull a code they'd atleast get the code matched to it's meaning. I guess if I'm going to help out here I should go the extra mile for people that don't.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
I was this close to looking up the code, but figured if someone was smart enough to pull a code they'd atleast get the code matched to it's meaning. I guess if I'm going to help out here I should go the extra mile for people that don't.
No, they should go the extra mile to help you help them, you're doing fine. How many times have you heard me bitch about people who want help but won't help themselves? This is just such a common problem that with experience on this engine you know to look for it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
mike turnvall
CF Newbie

Quote:
checked magnet & wiring ok code also refrences rpm signal problem
Old 11-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
checked magnet & wiring ok code also refrences rpm signal problem
Okay, so what does the toubleshooting tree in your service manual tell you to do?

Old 11-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
mike turnvall
CF Newbie

Quote:
IT DOSENT REFRENCE RPM SIGNAL AT ALL I WAS THINKING MAYBE COIL PACK OR MODULE BUT EXPENSIVE GUESSES
Old 11-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
IT DOSENT REFRENCE RPM SIGNAL AT ALL I WAS THINKING MAYBE COIL PACK OR MODULE BUT EXPENSIVE GUESSES
Okay, I'll ask the question one more time. Okay, so what does the toubleshooting tree in your service manual tell you to do?

Old 11-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
mike turnvall
CF Newbie

Quote:
OK AGAIN IT DOESN'T REFERENCE RPM SIGNAL PROBLEM
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
OK AGAIN IT DOESN'T REFERENCE RPM SIGNAL PROBLEM
Your a dumbass.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:09 AM   #12
mike turnvall
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Your a dumbass.
whatever

Last edited by mike turnvall : 12-01-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #13
mike turnvall
CF Newbie

Question

Quote:
eat me
would anyone else maybe have any suggestions I did what the haynes manual told me to do ie check magnet,wiring and connections they all seem fine again I cant find anything on rpm signal problem also code 17 is not in haynes book just the manual that came with the code reader