Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #31
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
What? It's trying to look like a custom car?

The idea behind doing something like that is still valid. I'd bet with differnt wheels and a good photoshoot, that LHS could be considered a nice ride. So what's wrong with suggesting HOW to make something like that come together to be attractive instead of just saying stupid remarks like "luxury cars can't be such and such." That's just so much narrowminded bullshit.

I think it's a perfect candidate for VIP style, and wonder where that body kit came from (the picture is so blurry it's hard to tell exactly how it fits on there). Heck, it might be possible to adapt a more subtle fiberglass kit from something else, paint it body color, choose the right wheels, lower it slightly, and have an excellent cruiser. Considering the buy-in for the project is free, it makes EVERYTHING cost effective, as you COULD make all your money back if you decide to sell.

Yes it is valid, and in viewed some of the cars from your link and they don't look bad but that particular bodykit on that car just doesn't seem to look right to me personally. I am referring to that only car in particular not any kind of custom cars.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #32
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Yes it is valid, and in viewed some of the cars from your link and they don't look bad but that particular bodykit on that car just doesn't seem to look right to me personally. I am referring to that only car in particular not any kind of custom cars.

And I'm referring to the sentiment in this thread that said "look at this car. it's proof that you shouldn't do anything custom to these cars (or luxury cars in general)."

And to be honest, from what I could see of that particualr car, only the wheels were really not the way I might do it. I'd probably go with something like this:

or this:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #33
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
And I'm referring to the sentiment in this thread that said "look at this car. it's proof that you shouldn't do anything custom to these cars (or luxury cars in general)."

And to be honest, from what I could see of that particualr car, only the wheels were really not the way I might do it. I'd probably go with something like this:

or this:

I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #34
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
...Considering the buy-in for the project is free, it makes EVERYTHING cost effective, as you COULD make all your money back if you decide to sell.
O yeah, didn't think of that.

But my point is, he shouldn't spend money on it unless he plans on keeping it. If he wants to keep it for awhile(and from my experience, people usually want to get something else after they've had their first car for a few months-a year), by all means, go crazt with it. I personally like the "VIP" style if it's watered down a little form those pics from your Google search.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #35
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
O yeah, didn't think of that.

But my point is, he shouldn't spend money on it unless he plans on keeping it. If he wants to keep it for awhile(and from my experience, people usually want to get something else after they've had their first car for a few months-a year),

Well, maybe they want something different because they didn't do anything to MAKE the first one the way they want? I know a number of people who still have their first car and have been customizing it along the way.

Hell, I customized my first car within a few days of being given it. And I customized my next one, and the next after that. It's a lot of how I learned about cars. I've had over a hundred cars in the last 25 years, and if I only customized or had fun with cars I was planning on keeping, then I'd never have enjoyed ANY of them.

That's why they call it a HOBBY. It's what you do for FUN. Look how much money people spend on video games they aren't going to play after a few months, or spend on whatever else that they want to do as a hobby (like skiing, or whatever...).

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #36
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

or this:

See you didn't specify that at first, you simply referred to everyone that was making fun of the car.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 12-06-2005, 09:24 PM   #37
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Well, maybe they want something different because they didn't do anything to MAKE the first one the way they want? I know a number of people who still have their first car and have been customizing it along the way.

Hell, I customized my first car within a few days of being given it. And I customized my next one, and the next after that. It's a lot of how I learned about cars. I've had over a hundred cars in the last 25 years, and if I only customized or had fun with cars I was planning on keeping, then I'd never have enjoyed ANY of them.

That's why they call it a HOBBY. It's what you do for FUN. Look how much money people spend on video games they aren't going to play after a few months, or spend on whatever else that they want to do as a hobby (like skiing, or whatever...).
Seems like if it was his hobby he'd go buy his own car instead of taking a free one, remember, it's his hobby, he spends money on it. Unless he just wants what he's getting enough to not pay for something he wants more, which i kinda doubt, if this is indeed his hobby.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #38
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Seems like if it was his hobby he'd go buy his own car instead of taking a free one, remember, it's his hobby, he spends money on it. Unless he just wants what he's getting enough to not pay for something he wants more, which i kinda doubt, if this is indeed his hobby.

There's nothing wrong with getting something for FREE in a hobby either. A large percentage of the cars I've gotten in my hobby have been FREE. The HOBBY part means enjoying it. If that takes spending money, then it does. If it takes finding good deals on cheap or free stuff, then there's no reason not to do THAT, either. The HOBBY is playing with cars. It doesn't REQUIRE spending money, NOR DOES IT REQUIRE NOT SPENDING MONEY. It only requires personal enjoyment! Jesus F*CKING Christ, does it physically hurt to be as dense as you are being????!

Seems to me you just want to have an excuse to put down yet another car that isn't YOUR favorite.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #39
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
See you didn't specify that at first, you simply referred to everyone that was making fun of the car.

? Are we in the same conversation? I just went back and looked and I STILL don't see what you're trying to say with this post...

My very first post indeed specified it. In fact, my first SENTENCE did.

newyorker: but I would be pretty embarrased driving that black car I posted. Its like a nightmare on wheels.

Me: Change the wheels slightly and it's not.

Then you said it's trying "too hard" to be something it's not. And nowhere does it indicate it's trying to be ANYTHING but a custom car.

So I don't know where you're going with your accuastions...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #40
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

ChrisV, do you ever feel like you're wasting your time? Because...you are. If they don't get it at this point they never will.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #41
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
ChrisV, do you ever feel like you're wasting your time? Because...you are. If they don't get it at this point they never will.

Funny is that everyone bitched when all I did was agree tih them, saying "opinions are more important than knowing what you're talking about. Everyone is right, no one is ever wrong."

Hell, everyone gets A's in school with that method, 'cause I'm sure all their teachers will agree with them when they say, "I wasn't wrong on that test, I was merely expressing my opinion!"

Yeah, I get tired of the closed minded bullshit.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #42
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Funny is that everyone bitched when all I did was agree tih them, saying "opinions are more important than knowing what you're talking about. Everyone is right, no one is ever wrong."

Hell, everyone gets A's in school with that method, 'cause I'm sure all their teachers will agree with them when they say, "I wasn't wrong on that test, I was merely expressing my opinion!"

Just keep in mind these people don't want to learn, they want to be right even when they're wrong. It's all that matters to them.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 AM   #43
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=vip+style+car

BTW,it's interesting to note the the only people talking about laughing at these cars are people that have already proven that they don't know much about cars... Kinda makes you think, huh?

This is what I was referring to, but I now see what your saying, I had thought for awhile that you grouped me there, when infact I was referring to the one black car, not the sentiment of the thread as you posted.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #44
newyorker
MXman

ChrisV is a really smart member of the forums. He is in NO WAY wasting his time, because his posts are usually the voice of reason, and answer many members questions.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #45
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:

OK Chris, your turn to be ignorant. Actually I'm homeschooled and taking courses at a community college, so I get my A's by putting down the right answers. No, my parents don't give me any slack, and the professors at the college sure don't either.

And I see your point about the hobby thing now, so you win. Happy now?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV