FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
EDIT: looking at a couple of articles here, we're both right in a way

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

apparently, the only similarity betw/ the ls motors and the original small block is the bore centers....

more ls7 stuff...

http://superchevy.com/technical/engi...ng/0504sc_ls7/
Hence the reason that bore centers are the primary determining factor between small and big blocks. Another thing that people wrongly believe is that displacement is the determining factor. For example the new LS7 is a small block and has a displacement of 427 cubic inches but Chevy built for years (and maybe still does) a big block of 366 cubic inches. And we all know about the 396 big block which is smaller (displacement wise) than the 400 small block.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #17
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Hence the reason that bore centers are the primary determining factor between small and big blocks. Another thing that people wrongly believe is that displacement is the determining factor. For example the new LS7 is a small block and has a displacement of 427 cubic inches but Chevy built for years (and maybe still does) a big block of 366 cubic inches. And we all know about the 396 big block which is smaller (displacement wise) than the 400 small block.

fine... point taken... how 'bout those 350 & 360 chrysler motors, huh? don't forget them...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #18
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
i said production big block, as in still being factory installed in new vehicles....
Chevy is most assuredly still producing a big block for production vehicles... Not cars, but current year production vehicles none the less. What do you think pushes around most Ryder, U-Haul, etc big trucks. You got it, an 8.1 liter, gas V8, big block.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #19
dodger65

Quote:
Chevy is most assuredly still producing a big block for production vehicles... Not cars, but current year production vehicles none the less. What do you think pushes around most Ryder, U-Haul, etc big trucks. You got it, an 8.1 liter, gas V8, big block.

i was under the impression that most were diesels...

ok, fine! they can call it a big block then...

Old 12-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #20
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The small block/big block differnce generally was a Chevy thing. Fords used a lot of different engine types, and Chrysler used letter designations for the different engine families.

On the chevies, another engine family trait is teh valve layout. Generally, the factory small blocks used inline valves on a wedge head, while the big blocks used canted valves.

Small block head:

Big block head:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #21
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Wow. This subject raises a lot of generalities none of which answer the real question. I've never given it much thought, as it's not all that important seeing as it just groups up engines into a small or big block family. However, I've always noted that it seems to have to do with out ward physical size. Just another generality to add to the pot. A big block is a big block, and a small block is a small block. An apple is an apple and a peace is a peace.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #22
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
An apple is an apple and a peace is a peace.

A peace is a peace? What is a peace?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #23
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Wow. This subject raises a lot of generalities none of which answer the real question. I've never given it much thought, as it's not all that important seeing as it just groups up engines into a small or big block family. However, I've always noted that it seems to have to do with out ward physical size. Just another generality to add to the pot. A big block is a big block, and a small block is a small block. An apple is an apple and a peace is a peace.
Generalities? Somehow using the words archetecture and especially bore spacing seems fairly specific to me.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #24
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Generalities? Somehow using the words archetecture and especially bore spacing seems fairly specific to me.
Of course. What I'm saying is there is no universal statement to be applied here. No one can say "small blocks can be identified by...and big blocks can be identified by...." All I'm saying is there is no one sure way to distinguish between the two. So far everyone has just said a lot of small blocks and big blocks have this in common, which is a generality and not a specific way to determine which is which, and why a small block is called a small block and a big block a big block. For the mopar part of this deal you have their small block family and big block family. 350(RB)-440CID in the big blocks. Small blocks you have 273 - 360CID. WITHIN each family (SB & BB) they are basically the same engines but with different bore and stroke measurements. When you look at a small block and a big block, their most obvious notable difference is ******d physical size. FOr this matter, I'm saying this is the reason they call their big blocks big blocks and their small blocks small blocks. Makes sense to me. One group of engines (basically the same, just different bore X stroke measurements) has the smaller block, and the other group has the bigger block. Makes sense to me. This isn't always the case, as it's the same with every other response to the question of what makes a BB a BB and a SB a SB. SO like I said, generalities such as what I just stated don't really answer the question, and there is no universal statement to distinguish the two. Therefor a SB is a SB and a BB is a BB. Peaches are peaches, apples are apples (Peaches is what I meant in my last post...not peaces.)
Old 12-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #25
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Of course. What I'm saying is there is no universal statement to be applied here. No one can say "small blocks can be identified by...and big blocks can be identified by...." All I'm saying is there is no one sure way to distinguish between the two. So far everyone has just said a lot of small blocks and big blocks have this in common, which is a generality and not a specific way to determine which is which, and why a small block is called a small block and a big block a big block. For the mopar part of this deal you have their small block family and big block family. 350(RB)-440CID in the big blocks. Small blocks you have 273 - 360CID. WITHIN each family (SB & BB) they are basically the same engines but with different bore and stroke measurements. When you look at a small block and a big block, their most obvious notable difference is ******d physical size. FOr this matter, I'm saying this is the reason they call their big blocks big blocks and their small blocks small blocks. Makes sense to me. One group of engines (basically the same, just different bore X stroke measurements) has the smaller block, and the other group has the bigger block. Makes sense to me. This isn't always the case, as it's the same with every other response to the question of what makes a BB a BB and a SB a SB. SO like I said, generalities such as what I just stated don't really answer the question, and there is no universal statement to distinguish the two. Therefor a SB is a SB and a BB is a BB. Peaches are peaches, apples are apples (Peaches is what I meant in my last post...not peaces.)
Okay, I understand what you're getting at. One reason that I explained it the way I did, besides being the correct answer, is the fact that most of the people on this forum have and probably never will see an engine block outside of an engine bay stripped of accessories. To them, most any V8 looks big enough to be be a big block. Couple that with the fact that the critical dimensions vary among manufacturers and it is somewhat of an ambiguous description.

On the other hand, how many people know what is meant by bore, stroke, bore spacing or maybe even architecture?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #26
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Okay, I understand what you're getting at. One reason that I explained it the way I did, besides being the correct answer, is the fact that most of the people on this forum have and probably never will see an engine block outside of an engine bay stripped of accessories. To them, most any V8 looks big enough to be be a big block. Couple that with the fact that the critical dimensions vary among manufacturers and it is somewhat of an ambiguous description.
Okay.

Quote:
On the other hand, how many people know what is meant by bore, stroke, bore spacing or maybe even architecture?
I wouldn't know.

PS I wonder why ******d (out ward) is filtered.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #27
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well when I was a boy, the general guide was small blocks up to 6 litres, with a couple of oddball 6.6 litre chevs thrown in. 6 litres and over were generally considered big blocks.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:06 AM   #28
dodger65

Quote:

i have no idea what you are talking about w/ all this bore/stroke buisiness...

Old 12-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #29
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
I have a 6.2L(6.27L) small block chev
Old 12-06-2005, 04:34 AM   #30
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0307_454/