Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
kcooley
CF Newbie

Best 4-wheel/all-wheel drive car?

Hi,

My wife and I are going to move to either Indianapolis or Kansas City sometime this year. We've been to both cities during winter weather and have found that our 2-wheel drive vehicles (Toyota Highlander and Mazda Protege) don't do well in icy/snowy conditions. (I couldn't get up my sister's icy driveway in my Highlander, but their 4WD CR-V went right up with no problems. We're from the south, so we don't need 4WD like my sister does in KC.) My wife's job (Medical Resident) will mean she has to be able to get to the hospital, so we are looking at getting her a 4-wheel drive replacement for her Protege. The biggest thing she's driven is my Highlander and she's not real crazy about driving it. "It's too big!" She feels like she's driving a truck. What are the best options for a vehicle that will get her to work when there is incliment weather? I'm sure she can learn to drive a smaller to mid-sized SUV like the CR-V or Highlander if necessary. What are your suggestions for our situation?

Thanks,
Keith
kcooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley
Hi,

My wife and I are going to move to either Indianapolis or Kansas City sometime this year. We've been to both cities during winter weather and have found that our 2-wheel drive vehicles (Toyota Highlander and Mazda Protege) don't do well in icy/snowy conditions. (I couldn't get up my sister's icy driveway in my Highlander, but their 4WD CR-V went right up with no problems. We're from the south, so we don't need 4WD like my sister does in KC.) My wife's job (Medical Resident) will mean she has to be able to get to the hospital, so we are looking at getting her a 4-wheel drive replacement for her Protege. The biggest thing she's driven is my Highlander and she's not real crazy about driving it. "It's too big!" She feels like she's driving a truck. What are the best options for a vehicle that will get her to work when there is incliment weather? I'm sure she can learn to drive a smaller to mid-sized SUV like the CR-V or Highlander if necessary. What are your suggestions for our situation?

Thanks,
Keith

Dude! What about a 4wd subaru outback? Its not considered an suv, but the wagon has plenty of cargo room for grocery runs etc.
My dad has a 98 4wd mistsubishi montero sport...its a nice ride, plenty of room, and pretty reliable.
Uhm....and maybe, if you'd consider a truck, tr a toyota fullsize tundra.
Man those are nice.
Well, hope my input helps.
-b

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Yea, for your purposes I would suggest a subaru, the legacy would probably suit you best. Subarus all come in all wheel drive and are reliable, refined vehicles with many ammenities. Plus they have such a various collection of vehicles that you can find something you really could fall in love with. Good luck, I hope I helped.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

There are a few different models of Subarus that would suit you best, all depending on fuel economy, power, offroad capabilities, etc. On the truck side, I would recommend a Toyota Tacoma instead of a Tundra. You can get 4 and 6 cylinder models and they have 4 wheel drive.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
SuperJew
I like pie.

wow, this is rare. an actually educated and well thought out question! kudos to kcooley!

but yeah, for your wife a Subaru would be your best bet - the Legacy series is a good bet. you can choose if you want the wagon or sedan...but it has everything your wife wants, from what you tell us. good luck with the move!

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #6
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
wow, this is rare. an actually educated and well thought out question! kudos to kcooley!

Rare indeed. Definetly one of the most productive threads in a while.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Sweet, a thread I can give first hand advice on. My parents drive a 2001 legacy GT, and I can say that it's definitly worth the money. We're at 60,000 miles with ZERO maintence problems (besides the tires) and the 4wd seriously helps with snow and ice driving.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
CarEXPERT
Banned

WHAT is the diffrence between a 4wd and a AWD?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:37 AM   #9
shev
CF Enthusiast

I made a thread that asked that, apparently its the obvious. awd is perma-4wheeldrive.
shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #10
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

yea, 4wd can be turned on or off, awd is all-time.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 AM   #11
~SK~
CF Newbie

holy sheepshit batman no one is arguing in this thread...wow...I am shocked

anywho I have noticed a lot of the smaller SUVs are now coming in AWD rather than 4wd...pretty interesting since like everyone has been raving bout the Suburu haven't they been doing AWD for years with that ugly ass brat (i think it was called a Brat)
Old 01-19-2005, 05:56 AM   #12
fatbass
CF Newbie

Would it be better to get an 4wd or an AWD car for normal urban driving, with ocasionally going up skiing or what not.
fatbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #13
~SK~
CF Newbie

I would think that it really mattered on what type of vehicle you are looking for. It is nice to have AWD cuz you have better traction all the time. If you go with 4WD you have the option to turn it off, however on some hefty trucks you have to walk your lazy butt outside in the freezin cold to lock the hubs on the front tires (if it is manual 4WD)

So to answer your question it really just depend on what type of truck or SUV you want since there are so many differences.