Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2005, 05:17 AM   #46
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
I have to take my 1990 Buick to the test center next month to see if it passes smog inspection
Could always fill it up with higher octane and let it run for awhile before you take it in (i hear it helps alittle). Good luck with it. And also good luck to you TalonChik, hope you solve your problem without spending a ton of money.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #47
97Talonchik
discombobulated

UPDATE!!!

Someone got a smilie face on their Emissions Test
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #48
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Also, with this set of OBD tests, I have seemed to acquire another code on my computer (go me!!). Now I am getting a P1495 code (Open or shorted condition detected in the leak detection pump (LDP) solenoid circuit) as well as my EVAP small leak detected (P0442). Can anyone explain what this means? Is this just one of the solenoids that needs to be replaced or is that telling me my LDP needs to be replaced?

**Luckily, the emissions tester bypassed the OBD test and just performed a tailpipe test which I passed with flying colors. That's how I got my smilie. I found out that the state provides each county with a ASE certified mechanic who will perform a diagnostic and help you figure out why you aren't passing the emissions FREE OF CHARGE. Boy, I wish I had that information about 2 months ago, lol. Anyways, that's who passed me. He said I have to get it fixed before next year when I renew because he can't bypass again.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:11 AM   #49
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
well the open or shorted condition on the LDP might be wiring, if the pump tests fine i would be checking wires and oddly enough maybe the first code has something to do with the other one, i would be finding the open or short in the ldp first good luck maybe your boyfriend who thought he would throw in some pimp speakers drilled a hole through the wires, i see it weekly, what good is a boyfriend if he can't fix your car thats what i don't get, a guy came and asked me for pliers to get the cap off his valve stem on his tire today. so i let him have it he brought em back with no luck then dissapeared, i came out at five o'clock and there he was with the tow truck and his girlfriend, right outside the shop and the CAA or AMA or AAA tow truck guy was there checking the tire pressure meanwhile he pulls out a dilbert comic book and starts reading it while dude pumps some air in his tires,Talon... your a woman....is this proper, should i have bitch slapped him in front of his woman cuz thats what i wanted to do, lazy ignorant dick, if it truly was survival of the fittest he woulda been gone long time ago. anyway sorry to rant goodluck talonchick hope you find the problem, i would wanna get it fixed sooner than later cuz if your check engine light stays on then when a real engine problem occurs you wont know cuz that damn light is always on
Old 07-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #50
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Fortunately, I am single. No boyfriend to mess up my car. Besides, I'd just push him aside and say "you're not even doing it right, geez!". The light has actually been on since my last engine was replaced. It never occured to me that there might be something wrong, I figured they just forgot to turn it off since I didn't notice any difference in drivability (that's my own bad for assuming, I should have had it tested back then). I'll probably just end up taking it to Chrysler and see what they say. If anyone is familiar with LDP's it would be them. Thanks for answering though!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #51
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Fortunately, I am single. No boyfriend to mess up my car. Besides, I'd just push him aside and say "you're not even doing it right, geez!". The light has actually been on since my last engine was replaced. It never occured to me that there might be something wrong, I figured they just forgot to turn it off since I didn't notice any difference in drivability (that's my own bad for assuming, I should have had it tested back then). I'll probably just end up taking it to Chrysler and see what they say. If anyone is familiar with LDP's it would be them. Thanks for answering though!
How does a girl like you NOT have a boyfriend?!
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #52
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

not by posting pics of naked women on your signature.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #53
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Based on both trouble codes,

If the hoses are soild (this has been verified) and the wiring is in good shape (check for loose connections, broken wires, etc.) then the canister vent valve/leak detection pump is probably bad)
Old 07-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #54
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Thanks, I'm hoping it's just a broken wire somewhere, which would explain the open/shorted code. Hey bax, good luck on your testing.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #55
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Thanks, I'm hoping it's just a broken wire somewhere, which would explain the open/shorted code. Hey bax, good luck on your testing.

I shouldn't have much trouble - I don't have vacume leaks (at least those I have been able to detect) which would cause the car to fail NOx and the car is running too well to fail CO and HC

by the way, you are doing the right thing by troubleshooting in a logical manner instead of replacing a bunch of parts.