Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #46
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Okay, I'm starting to see a pattern here. First let me thank everyone who has posted there opinions and extended a computer dummy a helping hand in this thread. Also let me give an extra thanks to those of you who went the extra mile to PM me about the subject.

I don't have enough knowledge to look at the minimum/optimum sytem requirements and figure out if the was something there not available in an off the shelf computer system. From reading the majority of the responses it seems that's not going to be a problem. You've pretty much all confirmed what I was thinking all along... Buy a Dell system with a few minor upgrades and I'll be in for under $1k, so I guess the basic dilemma is settled. Please indulge me in one more very specific question.

I still need to have three DVD/ROM drives so I don't have to keep loading and unloading information disks. Most computer cases (terminology?) I see have one installed and one expansion bay. Is there such a thing as a stand alone unit, and if so, what is it called?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM   #47
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Yes, you can get external USB drive DVD/CD writers, for about $120-150 at your local best buy. Easy to use. Cheaper if you go to Newegg or someplace like that. (first one I googled was $109 at Tigerdirect...)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:15 PM   #48
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Yes, you can get external USB drive DVD/CD writers, for about $120-150 at your local best buy. Easy to use. Cheaper if you go to Newegg or someplace like that. (first one I googled was $109 at Tigerdirect...)
Are those the ones where they're stacked up, sort of like a mini-tower? All I'm coming up with are seperate units. I don't want to have three of them laying around.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #49
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Are those the ones where they're stacked up, sort of like a mini-tower? All I'm coming up with are seperate units. I don't want to have three of them laying around.
You can put 2 of them in your main computer case and then have your third one external. Set up the third one as the drive you don't use as often.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #50
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

No, if you get the two in the machine already, then you're just adding one small external box that you can either set up top of the computer, or have under the monitor (if you have the monitor on one of those little raised stands, like I do at home). That'll give you three total.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #51
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Yeah, that all makes sense. I was just thinking that if I was gonna have a remote location for the info disks, I could have them all grouped together. Then I could just use the drive on the CPU for the occasional music CD, etc. The info disks only have to be changed out quarterly so they could be completely hidden from sight and the prying paws of my favorite feline friends.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #52
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

That's almost a prime candidate for a home network...

I'm doing a similar thing with a cheap ass bok with a couple big harddrives and a short stack of cheap internal DVD drives, connected by ethernet cable to my wireless router, so that all the comps on the home network can access them.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #53
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
That's almost a prime candidate for a home network...

I'm doing a similar thing with a cheap ass bok with a couple big harddrives and a short stack of cheap internal DVD drives, connected by ethernet cable to my wireless router, so that all the comps on the home network can access them.
Whoosh... There it goes over my head again. All I want or need is one computer in the house so I don't think a network has much future for me. Just out of curiosity, WTF is a bok?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #54
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Whoosh... There it goes over my head again. All I want or need is one computer in the house so I don't think a network has much future for me. Just out of curiosity, WTF is a bok?

It's box, spelled phonetically, minus the "s," and using the correct finger of the wrong hand when typing really fast... (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

Yeah, in my houe I have my work computer, my stepson's school computer, the laptop that is in the kitchen that my wife pays bills from and logs in to her work from, as well as her palm computer (that also connects wirelessly). When the new garage gets finished, I'm also going to have the cheap and cheesy computer with the keyboard cover so I can pull up the manuals I have on CD and log into the web for quick searches for info (like downloading info for paints). And I want a centralized location for everyone to store music and movies on to play either through their individual machines or through the home theater (just set the computer to play randomly for parties, etc.)

And of course, occasionally the three of us play quake arena against each other from different parts of the house.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 12-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #55
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
...And of course, occasionally the three of us play quake arena against each other from different parts of the house.
Gotta love family time.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 AM   #56
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
I still need to have three DVD/ROM drives so I don't have to keep loading and unloading information disks. Most computer cases (terminology?) I see have one installed and one expansion bay. Is there such a thing as a stand alone unit, and if so, what is it called?
Do you need ROM's or writers? Are you backing up to DVD, or just reading for whatever reason?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #57
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Okay, I'm starting to see a pattern here. First let me thank everyone who has posted there opinions and extended a computer dummy a helping hand in this thread. Also let me give an extra thanks to those of you who went the extra mile to PM me about the subject.

I don't have enough knowledge to look at the minimum/optimum sytem requirements and figure out if the was something there not available in an off the shelf computer system. From reading the majority of the responses it seems that's not going to be a problem. You've pretty much all confirmed what I was thinking all along... Buy a Dell system with a few minor upgrades and I'll be in for under $1k, so I guess the basic dilemma is settled. Please indulge me in one more very specific question.

No problem man. I dont know how useful my walklthrough was to you, but since you were good to me with the ASE books and other things, I just couldnt not return the favor. If you need anytihng else just let me know thanks man.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #58
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Do you need ROM's or writers? Are you backing up to DVD, or just reading for whatever reason?
I need them to read DVD's, not as a back-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No problem man. I dont know how useful my walklthrough was to you, but since you were good to me with the ASE books and other things, I just couldnt not return the favor. If you need anytihng else just let me know thanks man.
The important thing is you tried to help. You and everybody else gets an E for effort.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:51 AM   #59
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, why would you need to read 3 DVD's simultaneously, swapping them every quarter?

Does it need to be read straight off the DVD? What I'm getting at is: do you really need the 3rd external drive, or could you just buffer 1 DVD to hard disk for the 3 months that you'd be using it for?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #60
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

The important thing is you tried to help. You and everybody else gets an E for effort.
Why an E?
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote