Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #61
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Those are a nice improvement. I don't know if you're skill has increased or if it's just a background that works well with a silver car, but yes, very nice.
Thanks man. I have lighting issues in some (particularly last 2) but the lighting in the spot sucks and I dont have strobes, a fill flast might have worked but its too late for that theory now lol

Im waiting for STiman to come in here and give some feedback
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 06-27-2008 at 07:36 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #62
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Can you upload them to something besides facebook? It compresses the quality and shrinks the images.

They look good though.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #63
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Can you upload them to something besides facebook? It compresses the quality and shrinks the images.

They look good though.
FULLSIZE!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #64
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Yes, definitely better, but I do have some suggestions:

I'll go image by image I think.

The first one is really nice -- pretty good composition. There's some digital noise present in all of these images but it's most pronounced in the first one because there is so much sky. Try out a noise-reduction program like NoiseNinja -- it does wonders. Also, (this goes for all of them) there seems to be some weird color cast on them. I think you're really right when you said fill flash could have helped because the longer exposure in a city, the more light pollution you get in the image leading to weird color casts. Still, the first one has a pretty good composition.

Second image is quite good also but suffers from a problem in all of them: the exposure is too long. All of the lights are blown out and the highlights are totally blanked. A fill flash would really have helped to capture both the car and the background action. I think you've got a good idea in the PP version, but bokeh (out of focus background that the blur tool you used seems to have been going for) is really best done in the original capture with really shallow DOF (depth of field). Because this image was taken at 45mm, I'd suggest getting a 50mm f/1.8. It's cheap and having a "fast fifty" is always a good idea. It's really good at getting that shallow DOF.

Also, the PP doesn't work too well because you blurred too much of the car.

The second to last image is the one that I think had the most potential of the bunch. I think if you retook it with a fill flash to shorten the shutter speed so that the highlights weren't blown and you had the Maxima oriented the other way (nose towards the left), you'd have a winner. Also, there's a good deal of noise again in the sky -- you could crop it a little and be good.

The last on is OK, but the blown out highlights ruin it IMHO.

Overall:
1) Nice job.
2) Use fill flash to shorten shutter speed to minimize blown out highlights.
3) Get a noise reducer.
4) Watch for light pollution in a city.
5) Look into getting a 50mm f/1.8 or faster.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #65
newyorker
MXman

Thanks man, but I do have a nifty fifty already, I think I took some of the pictures with it. The exif should still be there for most of them, and as far as the bokeh, I think I just set my apperature too low and didnt get the whole car in focus, only a piece of it.

edit: yea picture 3 was taken with my 50mm at f/1.8 but I think i overshot it..should have raised the apperature a bit.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #66
newyorker
MXman

2 more if u wanna feed back some more

Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #67
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

for the second one, couldn't you at least take it on the green grass on the other side of the street? I also thing the speed limit sign takes away from the picture. I also don't care for non action pictures where there are people in the cars, some how it just makes it look like the picture wasn't thought out.

for the first one, the hole in the trees looks like a gouge in the paint at first glance, and the angle makes it look as though the car is about to slide down the hill.

I am by no means a photo expert, I am just adding that popped into my head.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #68
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
for the second one, couldn't you at least take it on the green grass on the other side of the street? I also thing the speed limit sign takes away from the picture. I also don't care for non action pictures where there are people in the cars, some how it just makes it look like the picture wasn't thought out.

for the first one, the hole in the trees looks like a gouge in the paint at first glance, and the angle makes it look as though the car is about to slide down the hill.

I am by no means a photo expert, I am just adding that popped into my head.
They really werent thought out. I went to a bbq and just saw people takin pix of their cars so I dedcided to join for a minute.

Another from today, part of a "for sale" set

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #69
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I think on the first one the composition could use some work. The angle really kills the body lines of the car and the main part of the picture, the side of the car and the wheels, really isnt anything special. If it has some nice CCWs or iForged stuff on it, it'd be different but overall its a pretty boring pic.

Also green and blue rarely go well together.

The 2nd pic. Loose the shadow, the street and something else. Its not bad its just not one of those pics thats like WOW thats awesome. Also Silver cars usually look great against a green back ground.

If the 2nd car was in the green grass and the blue car was in the dead grass I think theyd be much mroe interesting.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #70
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
I think on the first one the composition could use some work. The angle really kills the body lines of the car and the main part of the picture, the side of the car and the wheels, really isnt anything special. If it has some nice CCWs or iForged stuff on it, it'd be different but overall its a pretty boring pic.

Also green and blue rarely go well together.

The 2nd pic. Loose the shadow, the street and something else. Its not bad its just not one of those pics thats like WOW thats awesome. Also Silver cars usually look great against a green back ground.

If the 2nd car was in the green grass and the blue car was in the dead grass I think theyd be much mroe interesting.
Agreed. If I had it my way I would have moved them, but I am usuallly faced with situations where I cant move the car or ask the owner

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #71
97Talonchik
discombobulated

The first pic all I can focus on is the reflection of the people standing nearby.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #72
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
The first pic all I can focus on is the reflection of the people standing nearby.
Yea thats when a polarizer comes in handy...unfortunately I still havent ordered one cause im waiting for a sale (no way am i paying 65 dollars for what is basically 58mm of tinted glass)

Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #73
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
thats what that is, I was just seeing the guy's white shirt and thought it was a gap in the trees, but it's still anoying.