Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #106
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
if i was you, i'd be looking into gettin' a new torque converter and a new diff, cause that's what ****s itself when you drift automatics.

what type of car do you have?, that accord of yours?

Im not trying to make a drift car. and yes its an accord. i just had fun for a few nights before. i prob won't even do it again in my accord. so scary when you almost hit something lol.

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:35 AM   #107
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaDie4TheGov
Im not trying to make a drift car. and yes its an accord. i just had fun for a few nights before. i prob won't even do it again in my accord. so scary when you almost hit something lol.

so, you never drifted it, you just hand braked it and over steered, dropped the brakes and hit the gas to counter steer with understeer, i used to do that in my excel quite a bit, it was entertaining until my brother gave me a high powered RWD Drift car.

drifting isn't just pulling a hand-brake, it's hard to explain.. grr.. um.. hmm...

ok.. well.. easiest way to explain it is, you don't drive with over-steer, drifting is a dangerous, fun, fast and expensive sport.

to drift, you need to lose rear traction and keep front traction to help you steer the way, but you can't pump the gas so hard that you just smoke it up or you wont have enough rear traction to push the car in the direction that you want.

summing it up;
front traction 92%
rear traction 8%

^^ those should be teh figures that you use when drifting, to obtain higher speeds, you obviously use more rear traction and eventually equal it out to 50/50.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #108
relicensed
CF Enthusiast

I wouldn't say it's drifting but...when ever I've had a fwd I've always been able to get the arse out with the old "lift off oversteer".

I found that out when I overcooked it going into a corner in london with the metel concreate bollards on the corners (put there wisely to protect pedestrians), panic set in and all I done was keep it steering right and lift off the gas then round she went before I had time to even touch the brakes, tucked nicely into the corner and off we went!
Gave the poor guy waiting to cross at the junction a heart attack I'm sure, one second I'm gunning towards him tyres sceaming, the next round she goes and passes him engine valve bouncing all the way. I later killed that car when I found the abs was faulty in the worst way wrote off my rover 220 gti, had to pay the guy I back ended to replace teh plastic bumper sleve on his volve 240. his car was virtually unmarked while mine was half it's original size.

As for drifting, damn it's hard to learn. I've tried here and there and keep coming too close to writing off cars. I have learnt the main lesson though, as you said hyunda, don't nail the gas or you lose too much traction. most times going right round in to a full 360 spin rather than sideways. The best car I've tried in was a non-turbo 3.0lt supra, much easyer throttle to feather compared to some turbos that throw power at you suddenly and send ya round to full 180 and 360s
relicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:07 AM   #109
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicensed
As for drifting, damn it's hard to learn. I've tried here and there and keep coming too close to writing off cars. I have learnt the main lesson though, as you said hyunda, don't nail the gas or you lose too much traction. most times going right round in to a full 360 spin rather than sideways. The best car I've tried in was a non-turbo 3.0lt supra, much easyer throttle to feather compared to some turbos that throw power at you suddenly and send ya round to full 180 and 360s

my brother taught me in an A15 powered 120Y w/ a welded diff and a close ratio transmission.

as for REAL drifting goes, i've a Holden Commodore VL Turbo (RB25DET) tuned to around 360hp at the moment (brother built it for me) for drifting, last time i drove it i nearly smashed into a poll (for the second time) because i over-looked an S-Curve and never realised how sharp it was, so instead of Reverse drifting like you do during an S-Curve, i just braking drifted the start and then didn't see the next corner, coming towards a sharp corner at 130km/h and having drums on the back (he took them off so i learn how to drift without the hand brake) and having a near ****ed gearbox as it was, i smashed the brakes as hard as i could and i heel/toe'd down from 4th to 2nd, the car swapped around and i drifted the second corner.

as you said, instinct kicks in and you do shit you didn't think possible.

anyway, driftings fun, learn to drift with weight transfer and then i'll say you're as good as me.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote