Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Buying a DVOM aka DMM

I'm buying a Digital Multimeter fairly soon. I'll be using it for electrical diagnosis at work on BMW's, as I'll be getting more into diag as my apprenticeship moves forward.

I have been eyeing the Fluke 88 Series V Automotive. Most techs recommend Fluke meters, and the 88 seems to be popular. Any other ideas, or if you agree, know a good place to buy one at a good price?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I'm buying a Digital Multimeter fairly soon. I'll be using it for electrical diagnosis at work on BMW's, as I'll be getting more into diag as my apprenticeship moves forward.

I have been eyeing the Fluke 88 Series V Automotive. Most techs recommend Fluke meters, and the 88 seems to be popular. Any other ideas, or if you agree, know a good place to buy one at a good price?
The Fluke 88V is an awesome peice of equipment and will do most anything you will ever ask of it. However, I would personally step up to the 88VA because you get additional needed leads, probes, etc in the package. That link also provides where I would recommend getting it from.

That being said, the one downfall of the Fluke is that it does so much it can be confusing for someone just learning to use it and cumbersome in daily use for simple tasks. For general daily use, I find the OTC-3505 to be a superior tool. Simple to use, quick to set-up, auto ranging and will handle 99% of your needs. It doesn't match the Fluke in outright performance or features, but it'll be easier to learn and if you have both in your toolbox, probably more often used. The fact that it's substantially cheaper is just a bonus.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The Fluke 88V is an awesome peice of equipment and will do most anything you will ever ask of it. However, I would personally step up to the 88VA because you get additional needed leads, probes, etc in the package. That link also provides where I would recommend getting it from.

That being said, the one downfall of the Fluke is that it does so much it can be confusing for someone just learning to use it and cumbersome in daily use for simple tasks. For general daily use, I find the OTC-3505 to be a superior tool. Simple to use, quick to set-up, auto ranging and will handle 99% of your needs. It doesn't match the Fluke in outright performance or features, but it'll be easier to learn and if you have both in your toolbox, probably more often used. The fact that it's substantially cheaper is just a bonus.

Wow, that is the best deal I have seen on the Fluke 88VA yet, unfortunately,

Quote:
International Shipments (Including Shipments to Canada): Delivery is available via FedEx or UPS only. Actual shipping cost is dependent upon order weight and volume, and is not available on orders below $1000.00. You will be notified of shipping cost prior to processing your order.

So you're saying you use both meters, the OTC for simpler tasks, and the Fluke for something more complicated?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Wow, that is the best deal I have seen on the Fluke 88VA yet, unfortunately,

So you're saying you use both meters, the OTC for simpler tasks, and the Fluke for something more complicated?
1. Alrighty then. How about this?

http://www.ntxtools.com/Merchant/mer...Category_Code=

2. Yep, the OTC is just quicker to use, but there is no doubt (in my mind) the Fluke is a superior tool. Then again I'm from the old school. You'd be surprised what you can test with only a test light and/or a paper clip.* On the other hand, I move from make to make using various test procedures. If you're working strictly on BMWs I think you may find that you do exactly the same thing over and over and will be able to be set up quicker. Remember, you're going to use 10% of the DMMs functions 95% of the time. Familiarity with a piece of equipment does wonders for efficiency.

* No, I'm not being entirely serious.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
1. Alrighty then. How about this?

http://www.ntxtools.com/Merchant/mer...Category_Code=

2. Yep, the OTC is just quicker to use, but there is no doubt (in my mind) the Fluke is a superior tool. Then again I'm from the old school. You'd be surprised what you can test with only a test light and/or a paper clip.* On the other hand, I move from make to make using various test procedures. If you're working strictly on BMWs I think you may find that you do exactly the same thing over and over and will be able to be set up quicker. Remember, you're going to use 10% of the DMMs functions 95% of the time. Familiarity with a piece of equipment does wonders for efficiency.

Do you order tools online very often, or do you go through the dealers, ie the Mac or Snap-on guy?

* No, I'm not being entirely serious.

Oh ok, thats not too bad, $35 for shipping it would be. One of my coworkers may be able to get me a deal on one, as he knows someone who owns a company that buys large numbers of them, though he doesn't know if he still does. Apart from that, I may just use that site....thanks!

Do you order tools online very often, or do you go through the dealers, ie the Mac or Snap-on guy?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Oh ok, thats not too bad, $35 for shipping it would be. One of my coworkers may be able to get me a deal on one, as he knows someone who owns a company that buys large numbers of them, though he doesn't know if he still does. Apart from that, I may just use that site....thanks!

Basic hand tools are purchased mostly from the Snappy truck. Specialty items and test equipment is purchased most often online from www.thetoolwarehouse.net and disposable tools used for making custom special use tools are purchased online from http://www.harborfreight.com/ or a local el-cheapo chinese junk store.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....da&dir=catalog

this was the first meter i bought, was the right price and like Hobo Said the guy drives right to the back door, what a great way to sell stuff. but the Fluke was my first choice and always will be.....especially if you accidently drop it out of a helicopter
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....da&dir=catalog

this was the first meter i bought, was the right price and like Hobo Said the guy drives right to the back door, what a great way to sell stuff. but the Fluke was my first choice and always will be.....especially if you accidently drop it out of a helicopter

Yes I've heard its very durable