Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2002, 02:00 AM   #1
Kenny73

Just got my first car

Okay, just to let you all know some background, I am dead broke and still in high school. Next year i will be going on to NYu. A nice car was something that I always dreamed of having but never thought that it was possible because I don't really have any way of getting money for a car. But out of the blue my dad just decided to buy me a car. this might not seem too odd to you all right now, but I forgot to throw in the fact that I've only talked to him twice in my whole life. lol Not only did he buy me a car though, he bought me a 2000 eclipse.

Now with the background out of the way, I hope it didn't bore anyone, time to get to the point. having a really nice car is really great, but I want to take customize it some. Does anyone have any suggestions? The sound system in it is fine. Getting turbo chargers and lights on the inside, you know...stuff to make it look and feel more sporty, is what I'm looking for. Any info is good info
Old 12-04-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
Loophole
CF Newbie

Re: Just got my first car

Hi Kenny73!
welcome to the boards man!
it was a nice background information, especially:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny73
Not only did he buy me a car though, he bought me a 2000 eclipse.

Luck bastard!
well, i'm not very much into mods but i'm sure some member with some reasonable knowledge will help you soon.
Loophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:52 AM   #3
labido

Ya man thats great news. Gettin a car that your proud of really does something for you, or well it does for me. Mods...if ure lookin at a TurboCharger..unless it already has one its gonna be expensive. Like 2 grand or more. But main mods would be cold air, exaust, underdrive pully, computer chip/ecu, just things like that. Anyway have fun with your new toy.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:30 AM   #4
Loophole
CF Newbie

see Kenny, i told ya.
welcome to the boards labido
you got some pretty provocative sig there.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:44 AM   #5
Unfedfat
Site Admin

Welcome to car-forums.com guys!
hope you enjoy your stay here...
Unfedfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:46 AM   #6
Loophole
CF Newbie

Old 12-05-2002, 03:29 AM   #7
Kenny73

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I had no idea that a turbocharger would cost that much money. That's crazy. lol Can someone explain to me what "cold air, exaust, underdrive pully, computer chip/ecu" I'm going to look them up, but I have a feeling that the definitions I find will be written in greek...well that's how I'll see it anyway.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:04 AM   #8
labido

Cold Air-Your car comes with an air filter assembly, however this is usually somewhat restrictive when it comes to air flow, for best proformance we want to get as much fuel and air into the cylinders as we can, so by replacing the stock assembly with a cold air unit this provides better airflow. Cold air also does exactly what the name says, it provies relatively cool air, cool air is more dense than warm air, so the cooler it is the more air you could flow.

Exaust-we find that our cars also come with a factory exaust, manifolds, cats, muflers, piping. However much like the intakes, the stock exaust is highly restrictive, which causes the engine to work harder to push the exaust from the engine. The more work the engine has to do the more power it takes away from where you want it, at the wheels. By replacing this low flow exaust with a high performance one it gains horsepower, as well as makin them sound alot better, usually.

Underdrive pully-there is a pully system that is used to run your accessories, ac, alternator, etc. An aftermarket underdrive pully changes these gear ratios if u will so that your assesories run slower, also removing some of the load on your engine, producing more horsepower. Kind of like turning your ac on and off.

Ecu/computer chip-Is exactly what it says it is, the brains of your car, tells everything what to do and when. Better..or well different ones can be used to do different things, the one you would want would change air/fues mixture timing, etc. producing more power and lowering gas milage.

Hope i helped
Old 12-05-2002, 05:26 PM   #9
Kenny73

You definitely helped. Simple explanations that were straight to the point, just the way I like them. Thanks a lot. I think putting in these different things will violate my warranty though. So I'm going to have my car checked first by the Mitsubishi service people( I think there's a small problem with the transmission right now) Then I'll start hooking it up. I can't have my baby's transmission messing up on me.
Quote:
Gettin a car that your proud of really does something for you, or well it does for me.
Most definitely. I'm obsessed with my car right now. lol
Old 12-05-2002, 05:51 PM   #10
labido

Im not sure about a warranty, i dont have any new cars. My Stealth also has some transmission problems, the syncros are goin out. That really isnt good, it still shifts, but speed shiftin into second doesnt work, and third will grind every time, so i have stopped using it. Its cool that even with this problem i have the fastest car in school. Im gonna do the work myself, for one i dont trust any mechanics around here with a Stealth, and two a normal shop would want like $1700 to fix it when the parts only cost like $300 or so. Glad i could help.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:06 PM   #11
Kenny73

Oh, you do some of your own repair work? That's something I was hoping to get into doing myself. How did you learn how?

My car seems to not want to use the first gear. So I start out with really weak pick up. I'm taking my baby to the mitsubishi service people on tuesday. I have coverage up to 60,000 miles. Do you know what could be causing my baby to skip the first gear or could it be one of a whole bunch of different possibilities?

I have been doing some reading on turbochargers and I was wondering if you would still need the cold air intake thing if you get one. This one site was describing their turbochargers and it seems to me like it has a lot of the same functions as the cold air intake.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:41 AM   #12
labido

I got into doin my own work because my uncle who was a truck driver lived with my family while i was growing up. He was a big car guy, used to own a shop, then worked for a company that rebuilds engines. Soo with him being there i was always with him, helping out. I soon went from being the go for guy to the guy who did all the work while he told me what to do. to the guy who did half the work while he was doin the other half. Ive grown up with alot of fast cars, and pretty much anything to do with cars. The only problem is that my expirence is more with old cars than with new ones, but im learning quickly. Your trany problems, im not sure why your car is skipping gears, are you sure it is? Shift it manually, see if it helps alot. If so then it is goin straight to second, if not then its a problem in your engine, probably at low rpm's. The turbochargers, the cold air wouldn't help as much with a turbocharged engine as with a n/a engine, however the colder you can get the air goin into the the turbines, the cooler it will come out. But no it wouldnt be as important. But would still add a cool sound effect to your car. What you are talking about is the intercooler, as air goes through the turbo, it gets heated..alot. The intercooler is like a radiator for air, gets rid of excess heat and cools it back down.