Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
TWiTCHY
CF Newbie
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Posts: 6
My First Car - Sports cars?

Now, I'm new here, so go easy on me if I mess something up. I'm 15 and I'll be starting driver's ed soon. And if this is important to you guys in any way, I'm Asian - dunno, my friends say it affects my driving skills - poorly .

Aside from that, I come from a more wealthy part of Washington where people are driving BMWs and Porsches and the occasional Escalade which pops up every now and then.

My sister received her first car in late 2006 in the form of a 2006 BMW 325i Sedan. Used. Mildly. Oh man, I was jealous. But I knew when the day came, I'd get my own car. Of equal price. I hope.

My parents have "silently" promised me a sports car for my first. Well, at least, they're considering it, as they don't need another sedan and having a coupe might be a little bit of fun.

So I presented my weapon of choice to my parents, and they were slightly disturbed by my tastes.

The list below contains choices that I have researched on mildly and thought that would fit within my estimated budget of $35,000 (that's around how much my sister's BMW costs at the time).

Tell me what you think of these cars, or point out facts that may be of interest to me. If a car you like is not in this list, suggest it, but I'm pretty sure I've looked through every sports car possible, and have excluded those that I don't really like from the list.

THE LIST!

BMW 128i Coupe - My parents are all about safety and reliability. They don't want a car that will breakdown in the middle of nowhere, and at the same time, a car that won't display this family's expensive taste in cars. A BMW is a BMW. I chose this car, and my parents agreed after experiencing the quality in materials that my sister's BMW had. If this is the same for the 128i, then hell, I won't get to choose my car. They'll get this one right away.

Nissan 350z - A lot of power for the money. 306HP in a V6 for $27,000 base. Sounds good, but the I've heard that the quality is a little lacking in the interior. It's understandable as the 350z is a new body, but I just LOVE how it looks and performs. I could care less for the parts in the interior. What do you think?

Audi TT - Highly doubt I'll get this. People say it's a woman's car. From the back, I agree. But the front shows it's masculinity. The 2007 and 2008 models really shows the Audi TT's new target consumer: Men. The entire front looks much more aggressive, but you still get that round bottom at the back. Quality wise, I'm pretty sure Audi is on-par with BMW. Plus, my mom loves this car. The only thing that may put this off is the price. Pretty expensive.

Used Acura NSX - All parents agree that a child's first car should be used. Well, this is my choice of a used car. I found a 1993 Acura NSX for $30,000. Except, now that I'm writing this, I'm remembering the horrors of those pictures. The exterior looks great, but the interior looks a little damaged. The area around the stick has rusted. A bad sign. Maybe a used car shouldn't be as old as me.

Mazda Rx-8 - My parents don't trust in the quality and safeness of Mazdas. Apparently they've had a bad experience with these cars. But what about the Rx-8? Anything special? Probably not. I might as well wait for the newer one to come out and then suggest it again.

Used BMW Z4 - The looks of this car is stunning. On the road I've heard it's a hassle to drive, but I can't get over the outside. Just as long as you look at it head on and slanted at the side, it's fine. Just don't look straight on at the side. It begins to look like a large shoe with wheels. Other than that, I doubt I'll get this either as when the BMW 1 series is released, all attention will be drawn to them.

But if I were to choose one, I think I'd go with the 350z. A very unique look. I think all BMWs look the same, but that's just me. Until the release of the 1 series, I won't be changing my mind anytime soon. For some reason, I just love the 350z. If you could, I'd like to know more about it - specifically it's safety features, as that's what my parents are looking for. I've done my own research and it doesn't look too good.
TWiTCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Buy the new Accord coupe. It gets good gas mileage, its good looking, sporty, and fairly inexpensive.

But if you like your "list" then go for the BMW 128i coupe or 3 door, i'd personally take the 3 door.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
I'm really tired of these threads!
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
how about this

get a job
work
buy a good starter car

that way you wont look like a spoiled prick when the police are scraping you off of the sidewalk because mommy and daddy bought you that sports car you wanted
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
how about this

get a job
work
buy a good starter car

that way you wont look like a spoiled prick when the police are scraping you off of the sidewalk because mommy and daddy bought you that sports car you wanted

Haha, wow. Isn't someone angry at life. "Starter car" could mean a myriad of things... from Toyota Corolla to SL AMG. It would probably be best to let his guardians decide that for him. I'm sure they won't base their financial decision on what WE think.

Science forbid that ever happen .
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Haha, wow. Isn't someone angry at life. "Starter car" could mean a myriad of things... from Toyota Corolla to SL AMG. It would probably be best to let his guardians decide that for him. I'm sure they won't base their financial decision on what WE think.

Science forbid that ever happen .
No im just tired of hearing about kids who just got their licences dying in car accidents becasue they were driving sports cars...and its always the same story "_____ grew up in the suburbs, _____'s parents said when they bought ______the car, they never imagined this happening" and its always some little snotty mother****er with a car he cant handle. Its always the same story with these idiots too sometihng like "im better than you because my mom and dad have more money and give me whatever i want, and ive never done any hard work in my life because everything has been given to me and done for me, it must really suck to be you seeing that you dont have someone spoon feeding you your entire life."
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.


Last edited by newyorker : 01-09-2008 at 08:13 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No im just tired of hearing about kids who just got their licences dying in car accidents becasue they were driving sports cars...and its always the same story "_____ grew up in the suburbs, _____'s parents said when they bought ______the car, they never imagined this happening" and its always some little snotty mother****er with a car he cant handle. Its always the same story with these idiots too sometihng like "im better than you because my mom and dad have more money and give me whatever i want, and ive never done any hard work in my life because everything has been given to me and done for me, it must really suck to be you seeing that you dont have someone spoon feeding you your entire life."
Wow, this poster didn't display any of that. Somebody looks jealous! Grow up.

Kid, it seems like you've got your heart on the 350, and if you get anything else you'll regret it. Just remember that you're human and bad things will happen if you're stupid.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY
.

My sister received her first car in late 2006 in the form of a 2006 BMW 325i Sedan. Used. Mildly. Oh man, I was jealous. But I knew when the day came, I'd get my own car. Of equal price. I hope.
My parents have "silently" promised me a sports car for my first. Well, at least, they're considering it, as they don't need another sedan and having a coupe might be a little bit of fun.



No Giant, he doesnt look like a spoiled prick at all.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Science forbid that ever happen .
hhaha .... gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No Giant, he doesnt look like a spoiled prick at all.
There's a difference between being spoilt and knowing you're lucky that your parents will be able to afford a good car for you.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
TWiTCHY
CF Newbie
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Posts: 6
First of all, sorry to upset you, but where I live it's the norm. Kids at my school, usually sophomores up to seniors drive completely new cars - I've only seen a couple people get used cars, including my sister, but again, it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Simply put, everyone around here works at Microsoft, Boeing, or is a doctor, and gets well paid. The amount of Microsoft campuses and orthodontic offices overwhelm this part of Washington, and it's probably more than you will ever see anywhere else around the world.

I understand that where you live, wherever it may be, could be different. I didn't realize that it would affect anyone this much. I'm only here to look for help.

But in response to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No im just tired of hearing about kids who just got their licences dying in car accidents becasue they were driving sports cars...

I'm not the type of person looking to go as fast as I can down a street. In this part of Washington, cops are trained to pursue speeding drivers. If the car I choose supposedly reflects my personality, then I guess sports cars aren't for me. The only reason I want one is because I love how they look and perform - not to show off how filthy rich I am.
TWiTCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY
First of all, sorry to upset you, but where I live it's the norm. Kids at my school, usually sophomores up to seniors drive completely new cars - I've only seen a couple people get used cars, including my sister, but again, it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Simply put, everyone around here works at Microsoft, Boeing, or is a doctor, and gets well paid. The amount of Microsoft campuses and orthodontic offices overwhelm this part of Washington, and it's probably more than you will ever see anywhere else around the world.

I understand that where you live, wherever it may be, could be different. I didn't realize that it would affect anyone this much. I'm only here to look for help.

But in response to:



I'm not the type of person looking to go as fast as I can down a street. In this part of Washington, cops are trained to pursue speeding drivers. If the car I choose supposedly reflects my personality, then I guess sports cars aren't for me. The only reason I want one is because I love how they look and perform - not to show off how filthy rich I am.
Don't listen to him mate.... you seem to have your head screwed on. Unlike some others...
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No Giant, he doesnt look like a spoiled prick at all.

I'm glad that you have a profound insight into personality via the internet. You should publish a book or something... Seriously. I'd read it.

Anywhos...

TWiTCHY, if your parents are into safety, I can assure you that 2 seater coupes won't convey it in their mind. Because nothing spells safety like a 2 seat metal contraption of death. Ultimately the decision is up to your parents, but there are ways to "allude" their minds into thinking safety while still getting what you want.

Like the 335i/G35 coupe... Synonymous with "safety and reliability", but they still give you that performance you're looking for.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
TWiTCHY
CF Newbie
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Posts: 6
Well, my parents aren't big car people, and they don't really judge car safety and reliability by models, but by make. If a single car make has a bad reputation, they won't buy any of those cars.

And while I agree with you that coupes may not be the safest cars around, what would you consider the safest sports car there is?

I never really liked the G35, and I'm not sure what my parents think of Infiniti. I kind of consider it the luxury side of the 350z.
TWiTCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Dude as long as you dont put up a front and act big cause your parents got you a car, and drive realizing that its a sports car and isnt exactly your typical toyota camry you are ok
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No Giant, he doesnt look like a spoiled prick at all.
Just because somebody is showered with gifts doesn't make them spoiled in my book. Look at the word spoiled...means it went bad. This kid seems fine, if the money negatively affected him he would indeed be spoiled.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.