Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
ELMER'S
CF Newbie

I Need Help With A 68 Impala!!

Hey, my name is Nick and i have found the car for me. It is a bright red 68 Impala. I could defintely afford the car but i cannot find any insurance company that will insure me. The reason for this, i am only sixteen years old. If you have any advice for me then let me know.
ELMER'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
fc7gtx
CF Newbie

Nothing new for your age group. I'm a bit surprised you can't find 'any' company to insure you. When I turned 16 I was able to get insurance but it was costly. Not sure how strict they are today. You're at the mercy of the insurance companies. I think my Classic insurance company requires that you be at least 18 so that is out. All I can say is look around before you buy that car. It might be that at your age maybe something else would be better for the time being. The only thing you could do it get your parents to insure it as them being the primary driver's and you would be insured as an (other) driver. They might kill me for giving you that advise. Good Luck!!!
fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
ELMER'S
CF Newbie

thanks

thanks man, i have still been lookin and i am havin a hard time finding any insurance.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

you might want to try progressive or geico. i'm not sure of their policies concerning younger drivers, but they were fairly reasonable when i needed high risk coverage...
dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Doctor Diesel
CF Newbie

Farmers' Insurance did well for my young son

At 16, when my son started driving, I insured him on our State Farm family policy 'til within 6 weeks he had an expensive $$$ accident... his fault...

State Farm kicked him off... and later when we bought an old beater for him to drive w/o collision coverage, every insurance co. we visited gave us horrid prices around $3000... until we walked into a Farmers' office where the agent nicely listened to our tale of woe... banged away thru his computer and said "We''ll give him another chance for $900. !!!"

We've had a warm fuzzy feeling for Farmers' ever since... Try 'em & let me know...
Doctor Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
ELMER'S
CF Newbie

Thanks for the advice. The only problem for me is the gas milage of the Impala. I am already really busy with school and sports so it will be hard enough for me to make car payments. My parents will take care of the insurance, but i will have to pay for the car and gas. Considering the price of gas now-a-days i dont think i could afford it. I love that Impala and some day i am going to get a car like that and fix it up and show it. But i do not think that at this point in my life it would be an intelligent buy. I did however look at a 1974 VW Bus (which gets better gas mileage) but it isnt reliable. It would be breaking down constantly. I know i could work on it. But i also want a car that i can get in start up and go. I dont want to have to worry about it breaking down. When i am older and i have a little bit more money i am going to buy a classic car an it will be my baby.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
dametrius
CF Newbie

Nick,

let me tell you something. I dont know the finanical status of your parents but if I were you. I would beg my parents to help me buy the car. Just tell them you will pay them a monthly amount. Im only 23 and I had a 68 ss427 impala for 5 yrs. and i had offers everyday to buy it. Until some drunk ran me off the road.
Do what we import guys do. Have a nice ass show car that we drive on the weekends and a little everyday car that we drive to work. Trust me people will look at you in a whole different way. Put your money into your classic car. A classic car is the next best thing to a financial investment. I now make a living off of finding, buying, restoring, and selling classics. This is just my input.

Plus it would be a great project car for you to work on!!!

Last edited by dametrius : 05-11-2005 at 09:20 PM.
dametrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Also, you said your parents would be paying the insurance so if thats so then it doesnt matter AS much if you have to pay a little more on gas cause thats pretty much the only thing you gotta spend money on other then resto process). I think its a good deal and IMO i wouldnt even think twice. I myself am already looking for a pre 1975 car and have plenty in mind. I will have to pay for everything myself but the only thing i ever wanted was an old car as my first car and i'm sticking to it. Who cares if its not as practical as say a Honda, its yours and its something you can show off and be proud of. And ya you could always use it as a cruising car and have some beater as a daily driver.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote