Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Need help with Battery wires!!!

Ok so my car had been starting funny lately so I took it to have the alternator and battery tested. Well they were both fine but the connectors (as shown in pic) were very corroded and when I got home to clean them One of them simply broke. Well I got the need connectors for the end of the wires but I do now know what these two small wires comming out of them are, and I do not believe the connectors have room for them. SO I need to know if those two small wires are ground wires or what they do, and if I need them what the next step to take is.

As you can see the wires comming from the red positive wire is not connected to anything, and the wire connected to the black negative is connected to something (as you can see the end of it in the white arrow) I do not know what pirpose these wires serve, and if I need them or not, and the replacement connectors I purchased look a little different and don't look as if the small wires will fit in with them, but I am not sure. Here is the one I purchased-

Sry best pic I could get.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."

Last edited by Pythias : 02-21-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Ok so my car had been starting funny lately so I took it to have the alternator and battery tested. Well they were both fine but the connectors (as shown in pic) were very corroded and when I got home to clean them One of them simply broke. Well I got the need connectors for the end of the wires but I do now know what these two small wires comming out of them are, and I do not believe the connectors have room for them. SO I need to know if those two small wires are ground wires or what they do, and if I need them what the next step to take is.

As you can see the wires comming from the red positive wire is not connected to anything, and the wire connected to the black negative is connected to something (as you can see the end of it in the white arrow) I do not know what pirpose these wires serve, and if I need them or not, and the replacement connectors I purchased look a little different and don't look as if the small wires will fit in with them, but I am not sure. Here is the one I purchased-

Sry best pic I could get.
Do NOT cheap out or waste your time just replacing the terminal clamps. Step up and spend the few extra dollars and replace the entire positive and negative cable assemblies. If the terminal/cable junctions are that corroded, you'll also find the cable has degraded inside the insulation where you can't see it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people replace the clamps only to end up replacing the entire cable shortly there after.

Fix it right the first time and you'll only have to fix it once.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

usually to change the terminals is you just take the wires out of the old ones, cut them a bit shorter and strip them if they are really corroded and put them inside the new one and tighten her up. Then just place it back on the battery and you are good to go. No Idea what those wire you are pointing at are for(not really a clear picture either)
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do NOT cheap out or waste your time just replacing the terminal clamps. Step up and spend the few extra dollars and replace the entire positive and negative cable assemblies. If the terminal/cable junctions are that corroded, you'll also find the cable has degraded inside the insulation where you can't see it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people replace the clamps only to end up replacing the entire cable shortly there after.

Fix it right the first time and you'll only have to fix it once.

I know I wanted to do that but my mother went to get them because I had to work tonight Trust me I don't cheap out on stuff for this car, because I plan on having it a long time. But my question remains about those two wires comming out of the positive and negative cable assembalies, what are they and what purpose do they serve? Also when I buy the new ones will they come with it?

ALSO I it is parked behind my mother's truck and blocking it in the garage, so I think If I can just change the one clamp that is broke then take it to Autozone and buy the new ones and change them all that will do it but like I said I still don't know about that one extra little wire on it.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."

Last edited by Pythias : 02-21-2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I know I wanted to do that but my mother went to get them because I had to work tonight Trust me I don't cheap out on stuff for this car, because I plan on having it a long time. But my question remains about those two wires comming out of the positive and negative cable assembalies, what are they and what purpose do they serve? Also when I buy the new ones will they come with it?
From your picks it looks like the positive is just a dead pigtail and the negative is a body ground pigtail.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
From your picks it looks like the positive is just a dead pigtail and the negative is a body ground pigtail.

What do those do? And do I need them?

Old 02-21-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What do those do? And do I need them?
What does it sound like a dead pigtail does? Is it hooked up to anything? That pretty much tells you something right there. As for the body ground pigtail, well let me think. I wonder if it grounds the body? Yep, that might be it. If it wasn't there for a purpose, Ford wouldn't have installed it. Besides, when you get your new cables, it'll have one pre-installed.

What does your manual have to say about it? You do have a manual, don't you?

Old 02-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
What does it sound like a dead pigtail does? Is it hooked up to anything? That pretty much tells you something right there. As for the body ground pigtail, well let me think. I wonder if it grounds the body? Yep, that might be it. If it wasn't there for a purpose, Ford wouldn't have installed it. Besides, when you get your new cables, it'll have one pre-installed.

What does your manual have to say about it? You do have a manual, don't you?

Only the Hayne's, original manual did not come with it and I am watching out for manuals on ebay for my year car. And I was just making sure for the dead pigtail. But like you just said, why would Ford put it there if it did nothing, that's why I just wanted to make sure because to move my car I have to replace at least that one. But thanks for all the info I appreciate.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #9
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

would the positive one go to the starter? or altinator?... just throwing those ideas out there

Tech_N9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_N9ne
would the positive one go to the starter? or altinator?... just throwing those ideas out there
That's not an idea, that's a question. What is your point?

Old 02-21-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

i was just saying the wire that goes from the altinator is about the same size as the one straying from the positive battery cable...

Old 02-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
i was just saying the wire that goes from the altinator is about the same size as the one straying from the positive battery cable...
No, you weren't saying anything, you were asking a question, but let's put that aside. What is your point about is being the same size as the one to the "altinator", commonly known as the alternator, and what does the starter have to do with it?

Old 02-21-2006, 05:21 AM   #13
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
No, you weren't saying anything, you were asking a question, but let's put that aside. What is your point about is being the same size as the one to the "altinator", commonly known as the alternator, and what does the starter have to do with it?
man do u have to pick apart everything i say?? i was just asking if either of them could be at the other end of the wire....

Old 02-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
man do u have to pick apart everything i say?? i was just asking if either of them could be at the other end of the wire....
How in the f*ck am I or anyone supposed to know what it is you're trying to say.

This is what you said in your first post in this thread;

Quote:
That is not "asking if either of them could be at the other end of the wire". It's not my fault you have a severe communication deficiency. If you have something to say or ask, do so in a clear and concise manner so others can understand you. Otherwise EXPECT to be quizzed about what you're trying to convey.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 AM   #15
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

sorry i cant be perfect for you, Also I'm sorry that you cant read/understand anything but perfect english grammer and spelling...my bad(that means i did it and im sorry)
I'm done here, forget everything that was said(typed) by me...

Last edited by Tech_N9ne : 02-21-2006 at 05:33 AM.