Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 03:57 AM   #46
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
some times its unbeliveable, you know if you had euro carsthey would be doing 40+mpg

yeah...i like European cars...

and now our price for 87 (as of this evening..) was $2.01/gallon.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:24 AM   #47
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Got my Jeep back and went driving tonight....... man Iowa is lonely at 11:00 at night. Anyways way out in the country it is $1.99 a gallon
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #48
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
some times its unbeliveable, you know if you had euro carsthey would be doing 40+mpg
And what about the modern diesel car...your talking 60-70mpg in some cases. I know it's not 'gas'..but it's fuel lol, I went to Ireland a while back and over there (due to there being loads of tractors etc I guess) diesel is cheaper then petrol!....which would mean even more miles to the pound...although having said that, there aint much difference in the prices of Petrol and diesel these days anyway
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #49
karburator
CF Spain HQ
 
karburator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
[...] I went to Ireland a while back and over there (due to there being loads of tractors etc I guess) diesel is cheaper then petrol!
[...]

Also in Spain and Portugal, and maybe France, too

También en España y Portugal, y puede que en Francia también
__________________
Ciao!!
>Supported by Happy Modem

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)

Last edited by karburator : 05-15-2004 at 10:46 AM. Reason: adding trnaslation
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #50
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
I looked at the C3hdi and that was doing 76mpg, and there is the VW lupo that does 100mpg.

One thing that the yanks have got agaisnt them is that US gallons are smaller than Imperial Gallons.

Imperial Gallon 4.54 litres
US Gallon 3.78 litres

they have smaller pints and i definately couldnt do with any one reducing how much beer i get! lol.

Then there is the issue of octane rating you can buy 87 octane in the us, lowest here is 95, which means you can advnce the ignition timing makes them more efficent and more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
And what about the modern diesel car...your talking 60-70mpg in some cases. I know it's not 'gas'..but it's fuel lol, I went to Ireland a while back and over there (due to there being loads of tractors etc I guess) diesel is cheaper then petrol!....which would mean even more miles to the pound...although having said that, there aint much difference in the prices of Petrol and diesel these days anyway
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #51
karburator
CF Spain HQ
 
karburator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 171
This thread is really interesting -at least for an economics student like me

There's something I don't understand. If speed limits in America are so low, why do you americans use so big engines? When I have a look at american car-makers sites I see most of the models are sold with (at least) 2.0L, 2.5L engines or greater engines. In Europe, that engines are reserved for sporty cars, and only the most radical models (like Alfas 147 and 156GTA, VW R32...) use 2.5L or greater V6 engines (and sometimes this isn't a good point, because big engines cause hard dynamic effects).

Este tema es verdaderamente interesante -al menos para un estudiante de economía como yo-.

Hay algo que no entiendo. Si los límites de velocidad en América son tan bajos, ¿porqué los americanos usáis motores tan grandes? Cuando echo un vistazo a sites de fabricantes americanos veo que la mayoría de los modelos se venden con motores de (al menos) 2.0L, 2.5 o mayores. En Europa, esos motores se reservan para coches de tipo deportivo, y solo los modelos más radicales (como los Alfa 147 y 156 GTA, VW R32...) usan motores de 2.5L o más (y a veces esto no es algo bueno, porque los motores grandes causan difícules efectos dinámicos).
__________________
Ciao!!
>Supported by Happy Modem

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #52
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Well a number of reasons from what i understand. Some of it is due to the low octane rating of there fuel. Some is to do with the anal nature of the emison regualtions. I think the bigest factors are cheap fuel, which means they can afford to run big engines, all the cars are much bigger its like euro cars are 3/4 size. The metality of american public, they like V8's. They were also late getting on the technology wagon.

Overhead Cam engines are relativly new in the usa, we have had them for donkeys years. In the late 70's early 80's there was a rebellion almost from the mechanics in the dealerships whenever there was the surgestion of an engine without push rods. Back in blighty lotus and cosworth have been into them for years. triumph produced the dolomite sports in '78 which had disc brakes allround and a 2 litre DOHC.

Nearly all engines rolling of the production line today are DOHC. If it wasnt for the jap/rice cars making a stand in the usa agaisnt the pony cars they would probibly still with those pushrods.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
This thread is really interesting -at least for an economics student like me

There's something I don't understand. If speed limits in America are so low, why do you americans use so big engines? When I have a look at american car-makers sites I see most of the models are sold with (at least) 2.0L, 2.5L engines or greater engines. In Europe, that engines are reserved for sporty cars, and only the most radical models (like Alfas 147 and 156GTA, VW R32...) use 2.5L or greater V6 engines (and sometimes this isn't a good point, because big engines cause hard dynamic effects).

Este tema es verdaderamente interesante -al menos para un estudiante de economía como yo-.

Hay algo que no entiendo. Si los límites de velocidad en América son tan bajos, ¿porqué los americanos usáis motores tan grandes? Cuando echo un vistazo a sites de fabricantes americanos veo que la mayoría de los modelos se venden con motores de (al menos) 2.0L, 2.5 o mayores. En Europa, esos motores se reservan para coches de tipo deportivo, y solo los modelos más radicales (como los Alfa 147 y 156 GTA, VW R32...) usan motores de 2.5L o más (y a veces esto no es algo bueno, porque los motores grandes causan difícules efectos dinámicos).
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:38 PM   #53
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
This thread is really interesting -at least for an economics student like me

There's something I don't understand. If speed limits in America are so low, why do you americans use so big engines? When I have a look at american car-makers sites I see most of the models are sold with (at least) 2.0L, 2.5L engines or greater engines. In Europe, that engines are reserved for sporty cars, and only the most radical models (like Alfas 147 and 156GTA, VW R32...) use 2.5L or greater V6 engines (and sometimes this isn't a good point, because big engines cause hard dynamic effects).

I believe it has nothing really to do with octane ratings.

I believe it has more to do with the history of the countries. Americans have really not felt too much strife. The early struggle was for freedom and some strife was felt (in comparison with Europeans) Then the market crash of the '30's (?) and there was a short time of hard time (in comparison to Europeans) There were wars...but none really on American soil. On the whole, Americans have never really felt war (other than those IN the war). There has never really been a time of real struggle for America as a whole.

On the other hand, history shows us that Europe has been through war after war after war. Dictators storming smaller countries, taking people prisoners and mass genocide. Europe has been the center of strife for over 2000 years and more if you include the Middle East...where life began (as I believe). Europeans, from generation to generation, have been taught the value of having only what one needs. The value of being able to get up and go in a hurry has been learned.

There's much more to this, certainly...but I think I've made my point.

IMHO.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #54
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
<-------agrees with Bav 150%.

americans have been spoiled over the ages. what bav mentioned is very true.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #55
karburator
CF Spain HQ
 
karburator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I believe it has nothing really to do with octane ratings.

I believe it has more to do with the history of the countries. Americans have really not felt too much strife. The early struggle was for freedom and some strife was felt (in comparison with Europeans) Then the market crash of the '30's (?) and there was a short time of hard time (in comparison to Europeans) There were wars...but none really on American soil. On the whole, Americans have never really felt war (other than those IN the war). There has never really been a time of real struggle for America as a whole.

On the other hand, history shows us that Europe has been through war after war after war. Dictators storming smaller countries, taking people prisoners and mass genocide. Europe has been the center of strife for over 2000 years and more if you include the Middle East...where life began (as I believe). Europeans, from generation to generation, have been taught the value of having only what one needs. The value of being able to get up and go in a hurry has been learned.

There's much more to this, certainly...but I think I've made my point.

IMHO.
.
.

Thanks for your explanation, Bav.

I'd add another point: Sometimes I've heard that the USA have suffered the "pioneer's disadvantage". This means that the USA have usually had newer technologies before the rest of the world. Then, what other countries do is to improve north american developed technologies, and as result they achieve more efficient and more modern methods and machines.

I agree with this... partly. And you?

Gracias por tu explicación, Bav.

Yo añadiría otro punto: Algunas veces he oído que los Estados Unidos han padecido la "desventaja del pionero". Esto significa que los EE.UU. habitualmente han tenido tecnologías más nuevas antes que el resto del mundo. Entonces, lo que hacen otros países es mejorar las tecnologías de desarrollo norteamericano, y como resultado obtienen métodos y máquinas más eficientes y modernas.

Yo estoy de acuerdo con esto... en parte. ¿Y vosotros?
__________________
Ciao!!
>Supported by Happy Modem

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:03 AM   #56
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
.
.
I do agree, Karb.

The problem there is beauracracy (sp!!)...there's so many hoops to jump through for the pioneers of anything...that just getting the initial idea out is quite difficult! Anywhere besides America...they have a much wider door to go through and knowledge and progress sometimes excels.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:09 AM   #57
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
.
.
I do agree, Karb.

The problem there is beauracracy (sp!!)...there's so many hoops to jump through for the pioneers of anything...that just getting the initial idea out is quite difficult! Anywhere besides America...they have a much wider door to go through and knowledge and progress sometimes excels.
.
.
What a crock of sh*t. If you are not a politician, you should be. I hope you clean the shit out of your Christmas turkey before you feed it to your family. Your a MORON!
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:19 AM   #58
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
The problem there is beauracracy ,AND maybe beer crazy
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:24 AM   #59
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
There is alot less over there and there is in the eurozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
.
.
I do agree, Karb.

The problem there is beauracracy (sp!!)...there's so many hoops to jump through for the pioneers of anything...that just getting the initial idea out is quite difficult! Anywhere besides America...they have a much wider door to go through and knowledge and progress sometimes excels.
.
.

Prices went up again today to 83.9 pence a litre. i think the $ has moved in the other direction so its about static from your point of view. If your bothered theres 3.78 litres to a us gallon and you can find the exchange rate on www.xe.com
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #60
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
What a crock of sh*t. If you are not a politician, you should be. I hope you clean the shit out of your Christmas turkey before you feed it to your family. Your a MORON!

Maybe you could give some reason other than simple name calling, spouting profanity and euphemism?

To give you an example...I live in So. Cal. and within a two hour (or so) drive to Mexico. I was in need of some medication. The medication I needed, I couldn't get here without a prescription. I can get a prescription easy, that's not the problem, but the medication I needed was close to $400.00 for one months worth. (It's not covered under insurance because it is not "needed"... sounds like Viagra...but no.) Considering I needed at least 3 months worth of the medicine, I'd be forking out $1,200.00 for it. I find that with a little research that one company that makes the medicine is better...and the same company that supplies the U.S. market under a different name!! I get the same medicine in Mexico for 1/12 the cost. I get 3 months of it for $100.00 over the counter. Medicine is one example of what I mentioned above. Other countries, while there are drawbacks certainly, are more open to trying new and innovative ideas. Americans have law suits to worry about because we here are all law suit crazy.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.