Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2004, 04:06 AM   #1
gerald13
CF Newbie

jettas

Could anyone tell me how long vw jettas last in terms of miles? Is there a maximum amount of miles that I should take into account when buying a used jetta? Thank you.
gerald13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: jettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald13
Could anyone tell me how long vw jettas last in terms of miles? Is there a maximum amount of miles that I should take into account when buying a used jetta? Thank you.
Oh my. You didn't think that question out very far now did you. If you had you would have realized that just like any other machine, lifespan is directly proportional to the quality and timeliness of maintenance and how it was used.

For example, my '85 Jetta is pushing 300k miles and the cylinder head has never been off. That being said it also gets meticulously over-maintained and has since the day it was picked up from the factory in Germany. If you want a good answer, please ask a good question.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
gerald13
CF Newbie

sorry

Sorry, I know very little about cars. I guess I was wondering if different cars have different lifespans. The people I know who own jettas seem to have few problems with them, so I was interested in buying one. For example, cars like volvos seem to last for a while, but other cars seem to die faster. The make and model of a car has to have something to do with how long it lasts, and some cars, despite good maintenance, are probably more prone to problems than others. So, sorry my question was bad, but I guess I was more wondering if jettas last for a lot of miles if they are well maintained, and if they are prone to any problems that may shorten how long they last. So, if you know anything about jettas, could you tell me about them in general? Thanks.
gerald13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald13
Sorry, I know very little about cars. I guess I was wondering if different cars have different lifespans. The people I know who own jettas seem to have few problems with them, so I was interested in buying one. For example, cars like volvos seem to last for a while, but other cars seem to die faster. The make and model of a car has to have something to do with how long it lasts, and some cars, despite good maintenance, are probably more prone to problems than others. So, sorry my question was bad, but I guess I was more wondering if jettas last for a lot of miles if they are well maintained, and if they are prone to any problems that may shorten how long they last. So, if you know anything about jettas, could you tell me about them in general? Thanks.
That's still very general, but at least I know what you're looking for now. Yes, I highly recommend a Jetta, they're great cars. Jettas and Golfs when properly cared for will last a long time. As with any car the things most likely to shorten it's life is lack of maintenance and abuse.

As with any used car look for one that has as few miles as possible, preferably one owner and preferably from the owner, not a dealer. Buying from a private party usually costs less for the same quality of car and you get the added bonus of learning more about how it was used and taken care of.

If you have a limited knowledge of cars, your best bet would be to take it to an ASE certified tech for a good looking over. The small amount you'll pay is cheap insurance in the long run. If the owner or dealer selling the car won't allow you to do this, do not walk, RUN away from the car as fast as you can. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-04-2004, 06:30 AM   #5
vwmaniac
CF Addict

I recomend one too!Right now I have a 2003 Jetta VR6.But I think that you are reffering to the older ones right?
I had an 86 jetta and later an 86 golf.Both were fantastic cars!!!!
My Golf when I sold it had 360 000km on it and the only thing that went wrong was the manual transmission that had to be repaired because my friend wanted to learn how to drive a manual and it didn't go too well.(I will never do that again. :o )
My 86 jetta had 479 000km on it when I sold it!I had it since 220 000km.Not a thing went wrong.I am telling you if they are very well maintained cars they will satisfy you very much!!
I personally love the cars!! 8)
Old 02-28-2004, 05:15 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Thank you for allowing us to answer your question. No thanks needed, really. Asscheese.