Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 03:38 AM   #16
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I see, my friend pointed out to me that a turbo is mroe expensive to tune or somethin, He said around 1k if someone were to turbocharged a 5.0. Is this true? Around 800-1000 to tune a turbo on a V8? Or is a tuning same on a V8 or 4cyc?

More expensive to tune? You'd probably better ask him why. There's no generic statement as to which is better on a absolute scope (or even on one car). Comparing a 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra to a 1998 GSX, the cobra is easier to tune, seeing as how all you need is a 2.8 pulley, as opposed to something like a 20G turbo ( ) and a new wastegate, new BOV, (I believe) new piping, AND a computer to change the fuel input across the powerband.

There is no absolute answer for money costs into tuning, either. As for turboing the 5.0, it'd probably be a custom job. I've never seen any cheap pre-made kits for it, as opposed to Eaton's that are sold with kits for the 5.0 all the time.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #17
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
More expensive to tune? You'd probably better ask him why. There's no generic statement as to which is better on a absolute scope (or even on one car). Comparing a 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra to a 1998 GSX, the cobra is easier to tune, seeing as how all you need is a 2.8 pulley, as opposed to something like a 20G turbo ( ) and a new wastegate, new BOV, (I believe) new piping, AND a computer to change the fuel input across the powerband.

There is no absolute answer for money costs into tuning, either. As for turboing the 5.0, it'd probably be a custom job. I've never seen any cheap pre-made kits for it, as opposed to Eaton's that are sold with kits for the 5.0 all the time.

Do any of these count?
http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbokitpage.php
If not would it cost more to turbo a 5.0 rather than supercharge it?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #18
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

There are companies mass producing turbo kits for 5.0 'Stangs from '87 all the way to current models(will work on '79-'86 models if converted to later model EFI). Hellion is a company formed by mustang racer John Urist, very potent kit, includes everything you need...only for 5-speed cars. A recent test vehicle dyno'd 190rwhp and 275rwtq in stock trim...with just the Hellion turbo kit, it produced 392rwhp and 487rwtq at a modest 9lbs.

Pro Turbo is another company. MM&FF also has a turbo'd project(Project Hooligan Hot-Rod) car which runs an HP Performance turbo kit. They got the car to run 10's with an AOD 3.31 gears 31 spline axles, slicks/skinnies, and some suspension parts...they had the Lentech Strip terminator trans with the trans-brake feature. The used a bone stock engine from the junkyard and had to o-ring the block because they kept blowing head gaskets...at that time they added new bearings and did a quick hone on the cylinders. The car was running 11's without slicks/skinnies, no trans-brake, no suspension mods, stock 28 spline axles and 3.73 gears(was cruising through the traps at about 6000rpm).

Racer Walsh, is another company that makes turbo kits for mustangs with just about any factory engine size. Their 5.0 kits start at around 3k with the actual turbo being almost 1k additional.

Don't tell me there aren't any mass produced bolt-on turbo kits for 5.0 'Stangs. There are probably 5 more that I can't remember off of the top of my head.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote