Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
V-Tec
CF's student post whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
You COULD do it on an invention to reduce the ammount of tire blowouts that happen.
when did u come back?
__________________
I always tell the truth,
even when i lie
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
You are a bit to late to get fired up over a topic like this. Systems that can be accessed remotely and watch your vehicles progress are already out there. I'm sorry, but it looks like we are already loosing the war on being able to do whatever we want in our vehicles. I'm not a big fan of big brother either but the general public in the US seems too complacent to do much about it.

So back to the topic at hand, you may have noticed that I did offer a "non-big-brother" option with zapping the driver if they don't behave. I like to explore all the options. And I left the door open for you to come up with your own versions.


Yes, you were offensive. Do you always resort to sarcasim to try to make your point? As for me being defensive, I so no reason to defend myself. First, there would have to be a good offense.

.

Yes I usually do because I joke around alot but don't always include the necessary smilies such as or And systems that can watch our vehicles from remote locations, is MUCH different than some little laser that stays with us and zaps us everytime we do something wrong. So that argument doesn't really apply. You offered a "non big-brother" solution but that in no way makes it better. It is still doing the same general thing by invading our freedoms. So by my argument that isn't a great solution either and sort of contradicts what you just said as well.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 AM   #18
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Yes I usually do because I joke around alot but don't always include the necessary smilies such as or And systems that can watch our vehicles from remote locations, is MUCH different than some little laser that stays with us and zaps us everytime we do something wrong. So that argument doesn't really apply. You offered a "non big-brother" solution but that in no way makes it better. It is still doing the same general thing by invading our freedoms. So by my argument that isn't a great solution either and sort of contradicts what you just said as well.
Would you like some music with that tap dance? (I'm not going to spend a lot of time looking for appropriate smilies)

How does offering a "non big-brother" solution not make it better? You can have the big-brother approach where the car sends the info to the cops, or you can have the non big-brother approach with a zap. Or you could have both. Like I said, I like to explore the options.

And then there was the first solution which just gave feedback. So by my count, I offered 2 non big-brother solutions to 1.

Or are you saying that it is an invasion of your freedoms to be corrected on the way you drive?

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 AM   #19
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Would you like some music with that tap dance? (I'm not going to spend a lot of time looking for appropriate smilies)

How does offering a "non big-brother" solution not make it better? You can have the big-brother approach where the car sends the info to the cops, or you can have the non big-brother approach with a zap. Or you could have both. Like I said, I like to explore the options.

And then there was the first solution which just gave feedback. So by my count, I offered 2 non big-brother solutions to 1.

Or are you saying that it is an invasion of your freedoms to be corrected on the way you drive?

.

If by corrected you mean every movement you make monitored, then yes. I think its a simple concept to understand really. Invasion of privacy? That doesn't just include your home. Sending the info to the cops or getting a little zap, is doing both of those.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:33 AM   #20
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
is there an invention that keeps windows from fogging up at night or when its cold in the mornings? That would be pretty cool so you don't have to put your defroster on for 10 minutes
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #21
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
is there an invention that keeps windows from fogging up at night or when its cold in the mornings? That would be pretty cool so you don't have to put your defroster on for 10 minutes
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
If by corrected you mean every movement you make monitored, then yes. I think its a simple concept to understand really. Invasion of privacy? That doesn't just include your home. Sending the info to the cops or getting a little zap, is doing both of those.
So then having a teacher correct you for your mistakes in school is also an invasion of privacy? Or, so it's not a complete stretch, having your driver's ed teacher correct you while on a training drive would be an invasion of your privacy?

I'd like to hear that one at the examination station.

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:02 AM   #23
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
So then having a teacher correct you for your mistakes in school is also an invasion of privacy? Or, so it's not a complete stretch, having your driver's ed teacher correct you while on a training drive would be an invasion of your privacy?

I'd like to hear that one at the examination station.

.

There's a line between things too far-fetched and things not so far-fetched. School? How is that in anyway similar? Are you not in a learning environment there that is MEANT for teachers to point out mistakes? Driving school? You are there to learn how to drive. Rather than driving on a road getting zapped everytime you do something wrong? I mean sure I guess you are right if you are content being in driving school everytime you step into your car. I'm sure there are many people who would agree with you on that one. If that were the case we might as well be walked through every single thing we do.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #24
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
There's a line between things too far-fetched and things not so far-fetched. School? How is that in anyway similar? Are you not in a learning environment there that is MEANT for teachers to point out mistakes? Driving school? You are there to learn how to drive. Rather than driving on a road getting zapped everytime you do something wrong? I mean sure I guess you are right if you are content being in driving school everytime you step into your car. I'm sure there are many people who would agree with you on that one. If that were the case we might as well be walked through every single thing we do.
We're talking about correcting bad driving habits. That falls under learning.

Eventually, we shouldn't have to be walked through everything if we are doing it correctly.

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #25
ride3k
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 385
i think trying to change driving habits can only be affected BEFORE the person achieves thier lic. I think instead of having more hours with your parents, most likely bad drivers but not allways, you should have to have more behind the wheel sesions with and instructor. Also, i think they should make the test more like real world driving, and not penalize you because you stoped for 2 and a half seconds instead of three at a stop sign. And the probation period is a good idea, but there should be a way to test out of it because not all new drivers are bad. infact, i bet you the ppl that have had thier lic the longest are ussaly worse than the 1yr driver
__________________
Rollin' 18's on my 3k

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #26
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
i think trying to change driving habits can only be affected BEFORE the person achieves thier lic. ..... infact, i bet you the ppl that have had thier lic the longest are ussaly worse than the 1yr driver
To your first point, yes, it is better to have the proper habits developed during training. But that is not the only way.

Otherwise, your second point would indicate that "good" driving habits decline over time. There may be some bit of truth to that but then it also indicates a need for some sort of training or refresher course to make those seasoned drivers aware that they have developed some "bad" driving habits. People who have been driving a while may not even be aware of their "bad" habits. They, and society too, may benefit from some software that provides corrections for their developed bad habits.

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 AM   #27
ride3k
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
To your first point, yes, it is better to have the proper habits developed during training. But that is not the only way.

Otherwise, your second point would indicate that "good" driving habits decline over time. There may be some bit of truth to that but then it also indicates a need for some sort of training or refresher course to make those seasoned drivers aware that they have developed some "bad" driving habits. People who have been driving a while may not even be aware of their "bad" habits. They, and society too, may benefit from some software that provides corrections for their developed bad habits.

.

yes, true, i was also implying that people learned bad habits and never had those corrected, plus, the oldetr you get, the less careful you are b/c you think you are "more experienced" which is generally true.

and a refresher course is a great idea, instead of just mailing in re-registration for your lic, you should go take a laws or a full drive test, but that could take up to much time
__________________
Rollin' 18's on my 3k

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.