Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #31
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Your book is wrong. Sorry, but you're stepping on a pet peeve of mine: kids that think that if it doesn't make it go significantly faster, it's stupid and rice. Rice is making a car look like a race car when it isn't. but cosmetic mods in and of themselves are NOT RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you saying that a '50 Merc with rounded hood and door corners, mild chop, '53 buick side trim, '55 DeSoto Grille, '57 Kaiser taillights, lowered to the ground with Oldsmobile hubcaps is rice? It's a traditional '50s custom! Just because someoe want's to customize a modern car doesn't make it Rice!

My '63 Comet is getting custom paint, shaved trim, a '60 falcon nose with custom grille, custom taillights, polished 17" wheels, and lowered on air bags. And it's not rice at all.

How about the Bug in my sig? Stock engine, with chrome on it, custom paint, lowered on chrome wheels. None of the mods make it faster, so you're saing it's rice?????

if you don't want to do anything to your own car to make it look better to you, fine. But don't even THINK of insulting those that do. That's no better than Jay-G and his retarded insults of cars that HE does't like.

I don't think I can ever match Gay-J but I wasn't really insulting his opinion, I was really just stating mine and I'm sorry if it seemed to come off wrong
Old 06-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #32
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
I don't think I can ever match Gay-J but I wasn't really insulting his opinion, I was really just stating mine and I'm sorry if it seemed to come off wrong

Well, I was responding to your opinion. Your opinion may be that things that don't improve performance are rice, but the BASIS for that opinion is a mindset that is simply mistaken.

Whether it's '50s customs or modern customs, making a car look different than stock, or making it look more to your liking is part of car ownership for many enthusiasts. Mass produced cars are compromises, both for performance and visually. If someone likes the stock performance, but thinks the car could look better with a few custom mods, then that's not automatically a bad thing.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #33
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Well, I was responding to your opinion. Your opinion may be that things that don't improve performance are rice, but the BASIS for that opinion is a mindset that is simply mistaken.

Whether it's '50s customs or modern customs, making a car look different than stock, or making it look more to your liking is part of car ownership for many enthusiasts. Mass produced cars are compromises, both for performance and visually. If someone likes the stock performance, but thinks the car could look better with a few custom mods, then that's not automatically a bad thing.

True but in the eyes of some people, things turn ugly. Like 22's on Caprices and Impala's. Bodykits on Hyundais and Kias, nitrous on Civics. Okay I can agree with you there about a few custom mods, it just has to be tasteful, most of the people that do it want people to look at the car and say its nice but it doesn't always turn out that way
Old 06-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #34
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
True but in the eyes of some people, things turn ugly. Like 22's on Caprices and Impala's. Bodykits on Hyundais and Kias, nitrous on Civics. Okay I can agree with you there about a few custom mods, it just has to be tasteful, most of the people that do it want people to look at the car and say its nice but it doesn't always turn out that way

Oh, I agree. but just to say that anything that doesn't increase performance is rice is simply a Jay-G mindset waiting to happen...

So don't say " dont' do it." Say "don't do it poorly or tastelessly if at all possible."

I mean, look at the car in my sig. I lowered it 2 inches and painted it in a non-stock color. Both are modifications. Neither improve performance, but simply make it look better to me.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 06-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #35
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Oh, I agree. but just to say that anything that doesn't increase performance is rice is simply a Jay-G mindset waiting to happen...

So don't say " dont' do it." Say "don't do it poorly or tastelessly if at all possible."

I mean, look at the car in my sig. I lowered it 2 inches and painted it in a non-stock color. Both are modifications. Neither improve performance, but simply make it look better to me.
I'll keep that in mind
Old 06-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #36
Oomba
Banned

Quote:

It all depends on how you do it. If you lower the thing so its practically scraping the ground, thats stupid. If you paint it an obnoxiously bright color, thats rice.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #37
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Um...Turboed cars dont have headers

Yes, some turbo cars run TURBO HEADERS.

http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/ken_h7.jpg
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/turboheader/
http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-headers.php

Normally people run turbo exhaust manifolds though because it's cheaper andlets face it, it's hard to crack them.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #38
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
It all depends on how you do it. If you lower the thing so its practically scraping the ground, thats stupid. If you paint it an obnoxiously bright color, thats rice.

See, there you go again. I've lived with cars and trucks with an inch and a half of ground clearance and less. Think '50s and '60s customs again...

And my Comet is going to be bright tangerine/yellow pearl.

It'll also have a custom frame with air bags allowing it to set the rockers on the ground.

My last Falcon had an inch and a half ground clearance, and was a daily driver. AND was a bright color AND had no perfromance improving mods. But it was cool!

I've had Bugs that were lower yet (One inch clearance at the lower apron...)

Again, I'm saying quit using universal statements of absolutes as the basis for forming opinions.

This is not rice:

But it's very low, with custom wheels, and a non stock paint job.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 06-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #39
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Do you do all of these yourself?

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #40
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Those are nice cars. I'm sure he ment that lowering looked bad on newer cars but thats not true either
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #41
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

I've been decieved

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #42
99integra
CF's Florida boy

wtf are you talking about?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #43
Oomba
Banned

Quote:

But it's very low, with custom wheels, and a non stock paint job.

That is rice d00d
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #44
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
That is rice d00d

No it's not.

Rice would be someone going around the street in this:

Last edited by GreekWarrior : 06-27-2005 at 10:44 PM.
GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #45
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
No it's not.