Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
JORD88
CF Newbie

Regular or synthetic?

Hi first post here(okay technically its my 2nd post since I did introduce myself)

I own an 89 Mustang gt(25th anniversary), its a great car and very fun to drive!
I was wondering whether or not I should change my car's oil to synthetic or if I should leave it alone. The guy that sold me the car said that he had tried synthetic and it didnt like it. I've heard different opinions about switching to synthetic in older cars. My mechanic (who specializes with Ford's) told me that if it were his car he would switch to synthetic and he asked me why I didnt want to my answer being that i didnt know enough to make the decision. we both came to the conclusion that possibly next time I got an oil change i would change over to the synthetic.
He's probably right but I'm a little skeptical about to whether i should make the change. I know why synthetic oil is better and it would probably make sense to put it in my car but I dont know how well it would work and I'm little worried that it could possibly not do well with my engine and components being an older car that never needed synthetic like some cars require today.
I'm curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this and if anyone's tried putting sythetic oil in their older generation muscle cars especially a late 80's/early 90's Mustang or really any car for that matter!

Last edited by JORD88 : 07-12-2007 at 08:29 AM.
JORD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Lets discuss what synthetics are then give you an opinion only - the ultimate decision is yours.

Synthetics are either Polyalphaolefin (PAO) based group IV base stock such as Mobil 1 or highly refined Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized API Group III base stock such as Castrol GTX, and several other oils Both base stocks have highly sophisticated anti-oxidant and dispersant additive packages in order meet Diamler-Benz, Volkswagen and other manufacturer's specifications requiring this type of oil.

Most other engines use non synthetic oils.(group III and some group II base stock with additives)

Main advantages of a synthetic: on some cars, longer drain intervals (commercial users may want to verify the correct drain interval with an oil analysis), improved viscosity stability in hot weather ind high speed driving situations

Main disadvantages; Cost

I have read articles published in some lubrication magazines indicating the PAO's don't have a much different coefficient of friction than the mineral oils (dont reduce friction any more or less.)

Opinion - use a good quality (recognize the name brand) oil of the proper viscosity grade and API service classification (I buy whatever is on sale @ Autozone or Wal-Mart for my cars. I have used Shell, Texaco, Mobil, Exxon, Castrol, Penzoil, etc.)
Basically what you are saying is correct. It also helps protect certain parts of the engine, not just operate better. Honestly though, I pay 35-40 dollars for one oil change doing it myself cause I get the best oil, and the best filter, but knowing that everything in the car is working properly gives me the peace of mind that 40 dollars otherwise cant buy.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
JORD88
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
I have read articles published in some lubrication magazines indicating the PAO's don't have a much different coefficient of friction than the mineral oils (dont reduce friction any more or less.)

So I should probably get a Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized API Group III base
synthetic oil then rather than a PAO based synthetic.

Last edited by JORD88 : 07-13-2007 at 05:49 AM.
JORD88 is offline   Reply With Quote