Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
ZondaC12s
CF Newbie

xenon lights

Any body have these lights i'm wondering how they are. I've heard they were good
ZondaC12s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Depends on the Kelvin rating?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZondaC12s
Any body have these lights i'm wondering how they are. I've heard they were good

Annoying and way too bright. I thoroughly enjoy being blinded by them.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
ZondaC12s
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik

haha so they are annoying
Old 05-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Xenons are only too bright if you get the 'xenon wannabe's' from a parts shop that cost all of £10 lol...real xenon gas bulbs are far brighter than standard bulbs but are still within the legal limit. I guess they could appear too bright due to their piercing blue light, but no so as they'd dazzle you....unless the headlight aim is too high of course.....or they're on full beam...

Proper Xenons cost far more than their cheap imitations though, and are much more worth the money you pay for them! I'm still not sure if you'd get the same effect as ya see on BMW's and Merc etc though, as I think some of those are complete headlamp units (as far as I know), and are made especially for the manufacturers!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Xenons are only too bright if you get the 'xenon wannabe's' from a parts shop that cost all of £10 lol...real xenon gas bulbs are far brighter than standard bulbs but are still within the legal limit. I guess they could appear too bright due to their piercing blue light, but no so as they'd dazzle you....unless the headlight aim is too high of course.....or they're on full beam...

Proper Xenons cost far more than their cheap imitations though, and are much more worth the money you pay for them! I'm still not sure if you'd get the same effect as ya see on BMW's and Merc etc though, as I think some of those are complete headlamp units (as far as I know), and are made especially for the manufacturers!

I don't know many ricers who will spend $400+ to replace their OEM lights with the HID (which yes, requires a conversion to the complete headlight unit). They'd rather get a similar effect from the cheap knockoff of the blue coated blinding lights where you don't have to convert. As far as "within legal limits" that all depends on which bulb you get. Yes, technically they are marked 55 watt bulbs, but they emit a 110 watt illuminicity (some models). Now, is that really legal?

Elchango and I had a conversation about this a while back regarding (I believe) the same things. He wanted to know about the state law where he lives regarding this type of aftermarket part. Here’s the link: http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=20465
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Elchango and I had a conversation about this a while back regarding (I believe) the same things. He wanted to know about the state law where he lives regarding this type of aftermarket part. Here’s the link: http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=20465
Yup, I'll have pics shortly (as soon as I have time to edit them). I have 55w(110w output) PIAA h3 bulbs rated at 4250K and I love them. I haven't had any problems with the cops since they're more white than blue!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
ZondaC12s
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Yup, I'll have pics shortly (as soon as I have time to edit them). I have 55w(110w output) PIAA h3 bulbs rated at 4250K and I love them. I haven't had any problems with the cops since they're more white than blue!

Wow they sound nice
Old 05-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
MetalManiac
CF Newbie

Too bad they're illegal in California
MetalManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I don't know many ricers who will spend $400+ to replace their OEM lights with the HID (which yes, requires a conversion to the complete headlight unit). They'd rather get a similar effect from the cheap knockoff of the blue coated blinding
Most of the blue coated bulbs we have over here are no brighter, if not dimmer than standard bulbs...they also reflect off Fog lol...I see what you're saying though, we do have brighter immitation bulbs too, but they're only just within the law. Obviously some boy racers buy the rally/off-road bulbs that are no road legal!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote