Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
MCorps1775
CF Newbie

Battery not holding a charge.

I'm really new to this. Alright... I'm in the Marine Corps, and I'm at MCAGCC Twenty-Nine Palms CA, I originally live about 80-90 miles away, and I own a 1995 Nissan Altima. I have been having problems with it, recently I replaced the spark plugs, and recently it started giving me trouble, slowing down when going up hill to about 35-40 MPH, whenever taking on an extended load I suppose you could say. I can hear a leak somewhere in a valve or something, and I assume that it could be the reason, but my real problem is this, my battery is completely dead, no sounds no power locks/windows nothing. I got it jumped about and hour ago and it took a little to get it up and running, I then ran it for a short amount of time to let the battery charge up, I'd say about 10-15 minutes. I then turned it off, and attempted to start it up again. Barely any power left after about 15 seconds of it being turned off. then another 15 seconds later, still trying.... I received the same problem as before, completely and totally DEAD. If you could help me solve this problem, and maybe a hint at the other, It would be greatly appreciated, I don't make too much money and I'm about to PCS or move to another base here pretty soon and I'd like to drive my car there. Thank you. MCorps1775
MCorps1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Lets see. I'd start by putting the battery on a charger and testing it to see if it'll hold any power. You say after a jump it'll stay running so that leads me to believe the alternator is fine and you just might need a new battery.
If you changed the plugs and it started running poorly, I'd start there. Take one out look for any signs oil/gas/carbon. Then check back.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Rob`
CF Newbie

It could still be your Alternator. Just because he boosted it does not mean the battery was totally dead. Just start it, lift off a battery post and if it stalls its most likely your alternator.

Last edited by Rob` : 12-07-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Rob` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob`
It could still be your Alternator. Just because he boosted it does not mean the battery was totally dead. Just start it, lift off a battery post and if it stalls its most likely your alternator.
Not a good idea, a charging battery produces hydrogen gas, lifting off a terminal can cause a spark, gas+spark=boom.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
midwestman
CF Newbie

Yeah, better safe than sorry.... though removing the neg post does work as mechanics do it all the time.... (the crazy ones.. no offense intended )

Just find someone with a tester and have them see how many amps your alternator is drawing.. Sounds like alternator.
midwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Endorf
CF Newbie

With the car running, touch a screwdriver to the center of the pulley on the alternator. If it is working correctly, the pulley will be magnetized. Be careful not to get the screwdriver into the belt while doing this as it could prove to be painful.
Endorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
thefonz
CF Addict

Can't believe what I'm reading
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

Me neither.... exploding Hydrogen, screwdrivers next to moving belts, where do people get this stuff?

Just start the car, pull the -ve lug off the battery post, give it a few extra revs and turn the headlights on. If the engine keeps going it's your battery.