Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
topher98
CF Newbie

'02 Ford Exlorer Suspension Noise

When driving over bumps in the road I hear what sounds like a metal on metal banging noise from the front passenger tire area. Otherwise it drives perfect. It's still under warranty so I took it to the dealer and they said my upper ball joints were out, so they were replaced. The dealer said that should fix it. Problem is, it did not fix the noise, they obviously didn't test drive it after. It must be on the suspension somewhere. I have looked, and to the best of my knowledge everything looks ok visually. Could it be the shock on that side, lower ball joint, something else??? Help.
topher98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Carcass
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher98
When driving over bumps in the road I hear what sounds like a metal on metal banging noise from the front passenger tire area. Otherwise it drives perfect. It's still under warranty so I took it to the dealer and they said my upper ball joints were out, so they were replaced. The dealer said that should fix it. Problem is, it did not fix the noise, they obviously didn't test drive it after. It must be on the suspension somewhere. I have looked, and to the best of my knowledge everything looks ok visually. Could it be the shock on that side, lower ball joint, something else??? Help.

Go back to the garage. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #3
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
check under the hood is the tire jack loose or anything else on that side under the hood ??
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
how aboot sway bar links, broken, or rotten bushings?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:07 AM   #5
carlos
CF Addict

maybe a binding ball joint or tie rod, lift and place jack stands under the A arms, then turn your steering wheel all the way left and then right while somebody listens for any noise
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
topher98
CF Newbie

Ok, I just had the sway bar links replaced under warranty. Did not solve the problem though. I guess I will check all the other bushings on that side. Maybe I should just give up and deal with the noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
how aboot sway bar links, broken, or rotten bushings?
topher98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I just had the sway bar links replaced under warranty. Did not solve the problem though. I guess I will check all the other bushings on that side. Maybe I should just give up and deal with the noise...

Struts. The newer Ford vehicles seem to like to eat up those struts pretty fast, especially the Tauruses. Have them check those out.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote