Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
He's a typical teenageer. Full of opinions that are carved in stone, and no actual knowledge or experience to base those opinions ON. And at 13 already complaining about a car he already HAS...

If my 13 year old stepson was like that, he wouldn't GET a f*cking car.

About your stepsons Comet (I think), what did you pull the Lexus V8 out of (model/year and where) and how much was it.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

His Comet isn't getting the Lexus engine, it's getting the 260 cid V8 that is already in my Comet. The Lexus engine came out of a '92 LS400, and it was $480 plus shipping from a salvage yard in Ohio. Actually got it off of ebay. Picked up the 5 speed W58 trans (out of an '89 Supra) for 450 from a fellow GRassroots Motorsports Magazine reader, and will be getting the trans adapter and flywheel from Castlemaine Rod Shop in Australia.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #18
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
His Comet isn't getting the Lexus engine, it's getting the 260 cid V8 that is already in my Comet. The Lexus engine came out of a '92 LS400, and it was $480 plus shipping from a salvage yard in Ohio. Actually got it off of ebay. Picked up the 5 speed W58 trans (out of an '89 Supra) for 450 from a fellow GRassroots Motorsports Magazine reader, and will be getting the trans adapter and flywheel from Castlemaine Rod Shop in Australia.

Okay, so the engine is going in YOUR comet?

Good find on the Lexus V8. Any major mod plans for it? Or just going to let breathe basically? I know it's pretty stout engine stock being 250hp. How much weight are you gaining going from the OHV 2v 260 to the DOHC 4v Lexus V8?

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #19
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The weight is about the same, going from an all iron small block to the all aluminum Lexus (it's the smallest and lightest of all the DOHC V8s i've seen by a wide margin, with the exception of Ferrari and old Alfa V8s). Both are around 450 lbs in stock form. I COULD make a Ford lighter, using aluminum intake and the like (and it wil lbe getting an aluminum intake when installed in my stepson's car), but this will be "cooler."

I'm not building a race car out of it, so basically it'll just be allowed to breathe a little easier with less restrictive exhaust. But, compared to the Lexus it came out of, the Comet is almost 1500 lbs lighter, so it should move quite nicely, especially with the 5 speed (I just don't feel like dealing with the computer controlled lexus automatic). Originally I had thought about doing the aftermarket cams and ITBs, but the cost is prohibitive, and the added power isn't necessary in this application (lowrider, weekend cruiser)

I can't wait to hear what the 4 liter sounds like with real exhaust and an unrestricted intake setup...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #20
behind_thewheel
CF Newbie

no im not complaining about the car i already have! i just want somthing new to get into... and its not like im losing any money in this, basically im just trading in, and i doubt i'll actually even get a car for 5k.... i was asking for SUGGESTSIONS on cars under 5k....
behind_thewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #21
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
The weight is about the same, going from an all iron small block to the all aluminum Lexus (it's the smallest and lightest of all the DOHC V8s i've seen by a wide margin, with the exception of Ferrari and old Alfa V8s). Both are around 450 lbs in stock form. I COULD make a Ford lighter, using aluminum intake and the like (and it wil lbe getting an aluminum intake when installed in my stepson's car), but this will be "cooler."

I'm not building a race car out of it, so basically it'll just be allowed to breathe a little easier with less restrictive exhaust. But, compared to the Lexus it came out of, the Comet is almost 1500 lbs lighter, so it should move quite nicely, especially with the 5 speed (I just don't feel like dealing with the computer controlled lexus automatic). Originally I had thought about doing the aftermarket cams and ITBs, but the cost is prohibitive, and the added power isn't necessary in this application (lowrider, weekend cruiser)

I can't wait to hear what the 4 liter sounds like with real exhaust and an unrestricted intake setup...

If it was me, I'd run 2.5" straight pipes from a good set of 1 5/8" long tube headers (with 2.5-3" collectors) all the way back

But I dont mind being loud, in the exhaust sense (My 300ZX's B & B Triflo, no cat setup) or in the stereo sense (last reading on a Termlab for my Accord's setup was 153.3dB's).

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #22
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
If it was me, I'd run 2.5" straight pipes from a good set of 1 5/8" long tube headers (with 2.5-3" collectors) all the way back

Probably be 2 1/2" pipes, but I'll be using the factory shorty headers. Very nice tubular bits, ad that way I don't have to spend more than the entire dravetrain on just those two parts. I don't need more power than stock. And fitting it will be easier.

Again, I'm not making a race car. It needs to be comfortable to live with. If I build a performance car, it's a different story (which is why therewere 2 chamber flowmasters on my RX7. Just quiet enough to be legal, but definitely not quiet.

I thought louder was better when I was a teenager, too. Until I lived with my RX3 and an open header... hehehehehe

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 AM   #23
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Probably be 2 1/2" pipes, but I'll be using the factory shorty headers. Very nice tubular bits, ad that way I don't have to spend more than the entire dravetrain on just those two parts. I don't need more power than stock. And fitting it will be easier.

Again, I'm not making a race car. It needs to be comfortable to live with. If I build a performance car, it's a different story (which is why therewere 2 chamber flowmasters on my RX7. Just quiet enough to be legal, but definitely not quiet.

I thought louder was better when I was a teenager, too. Until I lived with my RX3 and an open header... hehehehehe

I once ran just the exhaust manifold on my Accord. WOW, it was loud. Althoguh nothing compares to 153.3dB's at 34hz.

~Blow your mind~