Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
wnabauto
CF Newbie

So many choices all expensive

I hope this is the rite section to put this in because i did not see a tool specific forum section. This is my first post other then my introducing post but lets get down to business.

I am starting classes next semester and i just went through the tool sellers at registration and it was awsome so many beautiful tools just waiting to be ripped off the wall and used but unfortunatly everything costs money and i can only choose one dealer.... I have narrowed the dealers down to 2 but im very iffy about what to choose cause i want to make sure that the tools im buying is worth the loan im taking out :/. The choices ive narrowed it down to are the well known snap-on and the not so well known (atleast around here) matco tools. Im leaning more towards the matco tools, the problem im having(which is why i come to all of you) is everyone i ask around here is 50/50 some say snap on some say matco(of those who know it around here).

If you dont like either of those the other dealers there were arnold motor supply, and craftsman(craftsman is a def no).

I should also tell you the main reason though i have others why i strayed from snap-on(but im not sure if this is true). What i was told from the other dealers were snap-on doesnt fix ur tools when they brake what they do is rip out the shaft part and shove another one in. Is this true because it makes me very nervous about going with this tool.

Sorry for the long explanation but i just want to make sure that the loan is worth it. thank you again and please shine some light on this subject.
wnabauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I've never had any experience with Matco.

My cousin used to work as a diesel mechanic back in the late 80's and into the early 90's and swore by Snap-On tools. He said anytime he had a problem with a tool no matter what, the tool guy would simply replace the tool with no questions asked.

That's the extent of my tool knowledge.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Matco, Snap On, Mac, all of the tools that for the most part you have to get from toolguys on trucks are decent tools. However, unlike Bav's post, these days there is A LOT of questions asked if you break something. Atleast in WI and CO there is. Everytime I break something it's "What were you doing?" "Where you using it improperly?" "When did it break?" "How many times have you used it before it broke?"

The only tools that I will buy anymore is Craftsman. Cheaper, just as good, and a life-time warrenty just as good as the rest.

But since you don't want to go craftsman (Can I ask why please?) I would PERSONALLY go Matco over Snap-on.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
wnabauto
CF Newbie

the reason i dont wanna go through craftsman is becuase there nice tools for the everyday garage repair but for my career choice they arent made of the best quality will break easier and there life time waranty has the most limitations then the other matco said that they will replace tools no questions asked and craftsman makes u fill out forms and if they think u werent using it rite they wont replace it.
wnabauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
DBain
CF Enthusiast

"I should also tell you the main reason though i have others why i strayed from snap-on(but im not sure if this is true). What i was told from the other dealers were snap-on doesnt fix ur tools when they brake what they do is rip out the shaft part and shove another one in. Is this true because it makes me very nervous about going with this tool."
I'm pretty sure all tool companies do that. Re-manufactured is the word.

"the reason i dont wanna go through craftsman is becuase there nice tools for the everyday garage repair but for my career choice they arent made of the best quality will break easier and there life time waranty has the most limitations then the other matco said that they will replace tools no questions asked and craftsman makes u fill out forms and if they think u werent using it rite they wont replace it."
I've never had an issue with that. I bring my craftsman ratchet/wrench/whatever it may be and they had me one either remanufactured (ratchet w/ new guts) or a new one off the shelf, no questions asked. Matter of fact I've gone to yard sales just to buy old craftsman tools for $1 a peice knowing if they are faulty they'll be replaced free of charge. Maybe things are different where you're from but around here whether it's snap-on, matco, or craftsman(which are the three most popular professional grade brands around here) you can get broken tools replaced free no q's asked. Even more interesting is the cheap peice of crap hand tools you buy at advanced auto parts come w/ a lifetime warranty. Yes they are crap, i've broken a few, but they'll give you a new one off the shelf when you come in w/ the old one and they run you like 50% the cost of craftsman.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Most of my tools are craftsman, I started out with one of the huge socket kits when it was on for half price. I also have a fairly inexpensive craftsman box which has been solid so far. Craftsman is great because they are so much cheaper and they seem to rotate the sales, so something is always half price. Also, if I break something they always replace it, no questions asked, no paperwork or receipt needed. Even if I've used a chrome socket for impact use.

Maybe 20% of my tools are Mac, which I get off the Mac truck. I usually buy more "special" tools, or what they have on sale. They usually only have one or two really smoking deals per month. I have a couple of grinders, a 1/4 air ratchet, my main multimeter, etc from Mac. I won't buy craftsman air tools because they are not as smooth and powerful as Mac and others. Also I bought one Mac 7mm hex socket which I broke like 6 times with Craftsman.

Other companies are good also, there is a very good tool store in my area which sells lots of no-name brands for reasonable prices, like hammers, wire brushes, that sort of thing. I also have Chicago Pneumatic 1/2 and 3/8 impact wrenches, which are nice and bulletproof, yet cheaper than Mac.

The point is, don't buy everything from one company, in this day and age you do not have to get Snap-on or Mac for quality, and you don't have to take out a huge loan. I bought all my tools progressively, from paycheck to paycheck.