Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
shizzle
CF Newbie

1978 Porsche 924

I have been lucky enough to soon come into ownership of a 1978 Porsche. The guy with the Porsche is moving so hes giving it to me and well he did not tell me much about it. He basically told me it has flip up lights and a VW engine (im guessing its a 924). My question is: is it a 924 Turbo or regular because its right on the cutoff date (1978). Anyone know by the date if its either one? (hoping on the 924 turbo so I can take it to the track but my guts telling me otherwise) Thanks
shizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Umm, how bout you get off your lazy ass and look for a lil circular thing on your motor
Old 09-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
shizzle
CF Newbie

Its in the guy's garage and he not here for another two weeks. (i dont have it yet)
Old 09-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

If anyones gonna know, Id bet Chris would.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

The engine in the '78 924 is actually an Audi truck engine. Because of the parts interchange between VW and Audi, you will find both logos all over the car. They did not offer a turbo version until 1980.

I still have my '78 924 that I drove in college. It is a fun car but prone to having electrical issues. What is also nice is that many of the parts on it can be cross-referenced with VW or Audi parts. So, instead of spending $200 on a new water pump, you can look up the VW part number and get one for $35.

Once you get it and start working on it, let us know how it's going and post a pic. If you have any questions, let me know and I will see if I can help.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
The engine in the '78 924 is actually an Audi truck engine. Because of the parts interchange between VW and Audi, you will find both logos all over the car. They did not offer a turbo version until 1980.

I still have my '78 924 that I drove in college. It is a fun car but prone to having electrical issues. What is also nice is that many of the parts on it can be cross-referenced with VW or Audi parts. So, instead of spending $200 on a new water pump, you can look up the VW part number and get one for $35.

Once you get it and start working on it, let us know how it's going and post a pic. If you have any questions, let me know and I will see if I can help.
Well never mind. Looks like theman took care of you!

Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
shizzle
CF Newbie

Wow thanks a lot man. Ill be sure to post pictures and do you know if you can install a turbo yourself into this car? And how much that would cost? How much electrical problems can an old car like that have, like alternator and light problems? Anyway thx a lot.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle
Wow thanks a lot man. Ill be sure to post pictures and do you know if you can install a turbo yourself into this car? And how much that would cost? How much electrical problems can an old car like that have, like alternator and light problems? Anyway thx a lot.
I've looked into putting a turbo on mine but most of the Porsche techs I've talked to said the motor would not likely hold up. You may be able to get a motor out of an '80 or later model for pretty cheap though. That would be the best way to go.

As for electrical issues, I have had problems with my gauges(in the center counsle), ingnition switch, and headlights. The gauges in the center counsle do not have a lot of room behind them and the wires kink easily.

Here is a picture of mine.....yeah, it's turd brown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 924atWork.jpg (24.5 KB, 9 views)

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Here is a picture of mine.....yeah, it's turd brown.
Lol, that it is.