Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
adamc44
CF Freak

94 accord oil pan gasket

so sunday i went through doing routine maintenance to my car, plugs, wires, change oil, thermostat, new hoses, wiper blades, coolant flush, well when i went to change the oil i noticed the pan was leaking so i decided to change the oil pan gasket. i dropped the cross suppport bar, the exhaust, the linkage cover off the tranny, the flywheel sheild, then the pan, took the old gasket off, scraped off all the remaining gunk, cleaned the pan out, repainted the outside, then reinstalled the pan with the new gasket, well i get everythinig bolted back up and fire the car up, the gasket is starts leaking around the front of the engine near the flywheel, so i unbolt everything and unbolt the pan agian, reinstall the pan and gasket, reinstall everything else STILL LEAKING..... well frustrated i give up, so today i take everything back off, put a lot of gasket sealer on it, let it sit till tonight and fire it up, the mother f'r is still leaking. what the heck could i possibly be doing wrong??? could the pan be bent???? all the bolts are tourqued acoordingly, nothings lose, the gasket is seated correclty, i dont know any honda experts and opinions on where ive ****ed up would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. i really like this car and would love to be able to drive it again. thanks adam

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

1- clean the engine up

2- check to see that it is actually the pan itself leaking and not some nearby source (broken seal around the area could be the culprit)

3- there was this other stuff used to replace this gasket..... i guess i will have to look for the name of it in the supra forums (and it wasnt gasket maker).

4- this would be the dumbest of all, are u sure you torque'd it correctly? make sure to ALWAYS triple check. when u bolt one side properly, then go bolt the other side, u need to check the first side again.

5- you have really bad luck.

6- maybe it's cracked a little bit and u didnt even notice.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Why is this posted here? (Asian Imports).

I'd definately check that it is sump gasket that was leaking in the first place. So do as Iny says and clean EVERYTHING up. As far as torquing the bolts up goes, I would worry so much about the setting itself, so long as they're tight enough, without being too tight. Also make sure that you tighten them up evenly (far upper left corner to far lower right corner, and vice versa). Then tighten the ones in the center!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #4
adamc44
CF Freak

alright great news, purchased a new gasket and applied some rtv sealant around the oil pump and on the other side of the gasket and retourqed the bolts works perfect zero leaks. so either i had a bad gasket or i over or under tightened them. either way its working now lol, thanks for the help adam

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote