Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
46plym
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4
1946 Plymouth Brake Question

I have a 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coup that I would like to put front disc brakes on. I remember being told that there were a few newer vehicles frames that would simply slide into the plymouth frame and you get instant disc brakes. I don't remember what vehicles they were though. Does anyone know what cars these would be? This way I can get rid on the king pin as well, (not the greatest handling the road). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
46plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46plym
I have a 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coup that I would like to put front disc brakes on. I remember being told that there were a few newer vehicles frames that would simply slide into the plymouth frame and you get instant disc brakes. I don't remember what vehicles they were though. Does anyone know what cars these would be? This way I can get rid on the king pin as well, (not the greatest handling the road). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
It's not a direct fit, but with very little modification a Volare/Aspen subframe will work. Instant discs AND it stays all Mopar.

The Mustang II front end will also work but it's not quite as sturdy.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
It's not a direct fit, but with very little modification a Volare/Aspen subframe will work. Instant discs AND it stays all Mopar.

The Mustang II front end will also work but it's not quite as sturdy.

How do you replace brake pads? Is it easy or do you always need to go to a shop and have it done?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
How do you replace brake pads? Is it easy or do you always need to go to a shop and have it done?
I have elves do mine.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:38 AM   #5
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
hobo, seriously have anyone accually done it themselfe? Is it really hard to do it? Do you just take it out and put the pads on?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
hobo, seriously have anyone accually done it themselfe? Is it really hard to do it? Do you just take it out and put the pads on?


It is very simple. Just make sure you have some loctite handy if you are resusing the bolts, some chord to hold the calipers up and an 8" or 10" G Clamp to push the pistons back. A proper kit will include new pads, anti rattle shims and precoated bolts.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 AM   #7
osborste
the canuck tech
 
osborste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
It's not a direct fit, but with very little modification a Volare/Aspen subframe will work. Instant discs AND it stays all Mopar.

The Mustang II front end will also work but it's not quite as sturdy.
mr vwhobo what make's the mustang II front end not as stury??we did look at a valarie but opted to keep it ford. its on the 52 ford in my avatar
__________________

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:10 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
mr vwhobo what make's the mustang II front end not as stury??we did look at a valarie but opted to keep it ford. its on the 52 ford in my avatar
Smaller ball joints and control arm bushings. Also as I recall the rotors are about 1" smaller in diameter. Don't get your panties in a wad, I didn't say the Mustang front end sucks. One benefit of using the Ford set-up is there are plenty of Fords in the junkyard to chose from.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
osborste
the canuck tech
 
osborste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 875
yes the ball joint's are smaller and the bushings. had me a little worried that it wasn't a good choice i have had no complaint's with it. thanks for the input
__________________

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.