Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
mrmck
CF Newbie

Ch 350 won't start

Continuing problem: Turning over fine, and tried to catch twice (out of +/- 15 tries), but no start. Like it's just not getting gas at all.
A buddy of mine suggested fuel pump a few weeks ago, telling me that sometimes there's a gasket in there that goes instead of the bearing that goes on most Chevys. One of my mechanics tells me that doesn't apply to my fuel pump (again, 5.7L 350). Does anyone know for sure?
I hear "humming" inside my truck (sounds like it's coming from around the middle underneath, similar to a muffled version of the sound a diesel makes when waiting for the points to heat up) that starts when I turn the key, and generally goes for about 3-4 seconds after I remove the key. Is that the fuel pump?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it started, and can anyone tell me for sure if it is/is not a fuel pump problem?

Last edited by mrmck : 03-27-2005 at 08:58 PM.
mrmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
mrmck
CF Newbie

Last-ditch effort to beg for help... can't get to work tomorrow if I can't get it to start...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #18
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmck
Last-ditch effort to beg for help... can't get to work tomorrow if I can't get it to start...
ok you have a long list of parts. question did you or can you compare the old rotor looked up some of the parts and there's two rotor's listed from ac delco for a 350 ???(not likely but worth a check) next how's the timing chain(milage) might be throwing valve timing off enough to give the idling problem check the tbi(throttle body injection)do both injecter's squirt fuel by turning key on and while cranking engine as for fuel pump you should be able to hear it by listening at the tank or fill neck(gas cap) are you getting any spark at the plugs? check this and see

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:33 PM   #19
mrmck
CF Newbie

Bless you...
Hard to tell at this point if getting spark (misting rain & wet dist.'s do this too) but unlikely, as started and ran (poorly, but running) yesterday after I changed the TPS.
New rotor "looked" like old one, but once it's running again, I'll check this to make sure.
TBI - both sprayed fuel as of yesterday, unevenly, but I think that's related to the idle issue (even with one another, just less fuel at "down" part of cycle). This morning, in trying to start it, could see/smell gas in the ports.
My brother suggested unhooking the line leading from the f. filter and trying to start it to see if it was pumping gas. Line was dry at start & finish of this "test" BUT, I can now see/smell gas in the ports again. Odd... line did drip a little when I changed the filter last time. No drip at all today.
As far as checking spray while starting, can't teach dog to turn ignition, I'll have to wait until my neighbor gets home & ask her to help me.
??????
Old 03-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Bless you...
Hard to tell at this point if getting spark (misting rain & wet dist.'s do this too) but unlikely, as started and ran (poorly, but running) yesterday after I changed the TPS.
New rotor "looked" like old one, but once it's running again, I'll check this to make sure.
TBI - both sprayed fuel as of yesterday, unevenly, but I think that's related to the idle issue (even with one another, just less fuel at "down" part of cycle). This morning, in trying to start it, could see/smell gas in the ports.
My brother suggested unhooking the line leading from the f. filter and trying to start it to see if it was pumping gas. Line was dry at start & finish of this "test" BUT, I can now see/smell gas in the ports again. Odd... line did drip a little when I changed the filter last time. No drip at all today.
As far as checking spray while starting, can't teach dog to turn ignition, I'll have to wait until my neighbor gets home & ask her to help me.
??????
how long has the truck sat with out running how much gas was in the tank is it a metal tank or plastic sound like maybe the pickup screen on the fuel pump might be clogged with rust and dirt from the tank(limiting fuel supply)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 03-27-2005, 11:16 PM   #21
osborste
the canuck tech

iac adjustment

in an earlier post you were looking for this

my new toy

Old 03-28-2005, 02:05 AM   #22
mrmck
CF Newbie

Drove it all day Friday (poorly running, but running -- only made the mistake of shutting it off once, barely got it re-started). Changed oil & TPS yesterday. Started it, it ran, still 3-up-1-dn idling, shut it off (total run time maybe 15 minutes). This morning wouldn't start at all. Put old TPS back in for kicks, no improvement.
Roughly 3/4 tank; full before I drove it around but gas mileage has plumetted last week or so.
Metal tank.
Have only let it get very low 2-3x (in 3-1/2 years), not at all since I changed the fuel filter, and added fuel injector/carb cleaner (Slick 50) at the same time I changed the oil.
I'll ask my mech. to check the screen prior to replacing pump *sigh* I'm not set up to drain gas before removing tank to get to the pump, nor have enough daylight time, nor time to be without my only vehicle.

Thank you all for your help -- I'll post back what it is that's wrong once I get it back (assuming anyone can ever figure it out). Happy Easter, y'all!

OH... thank you, orbste, for the diagram -- and for the pointing to something else we can check (I'm about out of ideas, now). I still don't know what an IAC is , but I'm guessing Air Idle Control, maybe?

Last edited by mrmck : 03-28-2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:47 AM   #23
osborste
the canuck tech

yes iac is idle air control you had the distributor out for the intake maybe recheck its timing to no1 cylinder might be out one tooth

my new toy

Last edited by osborste : 03-28-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 AM   #24
mrmck
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
yes iac is idle air control you had the distributor out for the intake maybe recheck its timing to no1 cylinder might be out one tooth

Thanks again. I'm (shamefully) in over my head, now. "recheck timing to no1 cylinder" is definitely out of my range of knowledge of how to do, but these things will be appreciated by whichever of the two mechanics I decide to torture tomorrow. Looking on the bright side, this may finally be the year AAA pays for itself (in towing). :-)
Old 03-28-2005, 03:19 AM   #25
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Thanks again. I'm (shamefully) in over my head, now. "recheck timing to no1 cylinder" is definitely out of my range of knowledge of how to do, but these things will be appreciated by whichever of the two mechanics I decide to torture tomorrow. Looking on the bright side, this may finally be the year AAA pays for itself (in towing). :-)
so fuel pump/timing/setup of the iac valve good luck hope they get it fixed

my new toy