Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Any Auto Mechanics out there?

We obviously all love cars at this site, but I was wondering how many of you are actually certified auto mechanics, who fix cars for a living.

The reason I ask is because I'm going to the BCIT for Auto Mechanics. Its a 10 month course and it specializes in Volkswagens. After the ten months, I will work as an apprentice for four years, at which time I will be a certified journeyman mechanic.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
ThrushGazook
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrushGazook
Excellent to hear that there is somebody learning a trade that pays well,these days is VERY respectable-(remember years back,the 'dumb' kids were the ones labeled as the 'shop' takers in school),now..it's quite the contrary.Cars will be as complex as the space shuttle in 10 years,and as blind as'untrained'folks are now,imagine trying the backyard thing then..Good luck with your career!
ThrushGazook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Well done, I served an apprenticeship as a Mechanic but left the trade shortelly afterwards. To an extent I wish I'd stayed in it for a while longer, still, I could go back one day

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:06 AM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i will be in a couple of years... UTI
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I'd just like to congratulate both of you on your career choice and for being accepted at the schools of your choice. The field you're about to enter is not an easy one to learn and there will be days when you wish you never knew what a car is, but keep your eye on your goal and never give up. I've been doing this for almost as long as both of your ages combined and do not regret a single day. Well that may be a lie but overall being an automotive technician is far beyond satisfying.

If you have any questions that I may be able to help you with (the voice of experience) don't hesitate to ask. Again, congratulations and good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I'd just like to congratulate both of you on your career choice and for being accepted at the schools of your choice. The field you're about to enter is not an easy one to learn and there will be days when you wish you never knew what a car is, but keep your eye on your goal and never give up. I've been doing this for almost as long as both of your ages combined and do not regret a single day. Well that may be a lie but overall being an automotive technician is far beyond satisfying.

If you have any questions that I may be able to help you with (the voice of experience) don't hesitate to ask. Again, congratulations and good luck.

Spoken like a true master. vwhobo could be no closer to the truth with that statement. There are some days that make you just wanna give up and quit. But its the constant change of the automotive industry that you have to learn about to stay interested. Like ChrisV said, there is'nt a car out there that he can't find something to like about.

**EDIT**
Perfect example, I followed the link to vwhobo's signature(because those are some cool looking VW's). "Ollie once again had a career best ET with a 6.15 @111mph against Todd Howard's MEGABUG. " Dayum vwhobo, please don't tell me thats 1/4rth time? The speed appears to slow to be 1/4rth times, I'm thinking more 1/8th trap times. None the less, I learn something new and facinating every day about cars.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 10-03-2004 at 07:41 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:

What kind of formal training have you had? Informal?
Old 10-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
What kind of formal training have you had? Informal?
When I was a youngster there weren't any schools like WyoTech, UTI, etc. So my formal training consists of high school auto shop, community and local technical colleges. I was also fortunate enough to attend VW technical training back in the early '80's. Additionally I attend courses and workshops regularly to this day to stay current with new technologies, some provided by aftermarket manufacturers and some high dollar private stuff.

As for informal, well... working on cars is what I've done all my life. As early as I can remember I was in a race shop with my dad, then as I got older started working on neighbors cars for them. Luckily I "apprenticed" for a real old time VW, trained at the factory in 1949 guy in the '80's. He's the one who got me into the VW program even though I didn't work for a dealer. Really I feel informal training is in progress anytime you're doing a job. Unlike many of our forum members I manage to learn something new everyday, and I've been doing this for 30ish years.

Did that answer the question?

EDIT: I just realised that I never actually answered a question in the first post. Yes, there are some certified techs out here in forumland. I'm ASE CMAT plus L1, X1, C1 and P2. I know that's Greek to civilians but anyone in the industry knows what it means. Anyone with questions look here; http://www.ase.com/

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Last edited by vwhobo : 10-09-2004 at 02:18 PM.
vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Thats greek to me too.

In Canada, training is a little different. Currently, you have to take a course first, then become an apprentice for three to four years. After that four years, you get your certification as an automotive technician. You can't really get higher than that, except specializing.

Our instructor has mentioned the American way being different, using the ASE standard or whatever. I'd check out that link, except right now my computer is dying to lock up on me.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:41 AM   #10
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
When I was a youngster there weren't any schools like WyoTech, UTI, etc. So my formal training consists of high school auto shop, community and local technical colleges. I was also fortunate enough to attend VW technical training back in the early '80's. Additionally I attend courses and workshops regularly to this day to stay current with new technologies, some provided by aftermarket manufacturers and some high dollar private stuff.

As for informal, well... working on cars is what I've done all my life. As early as I can remember I was in a race shop with my dad, then as I got older started working on neighbors cars for them. Luckily I "apprenticed" for a real old time VW, trained at the factory in 1949 guy in the '80's. He's the one who got me into the VW program even though I didn't work for a dealer. Really I feel informal training is in progress anytime you're doing a job. Unlike many of our forum members I manage to learn something new everyday, and I've been doing this for 30ish years.

Did that answer the question?

EDIT: I just realised that I never actually answered a question in the first post. Yes, there are some certified techs out here in forumland. I'm ASE CMAT plus L1, X1, C1 and P2. I know that's Greek to civilians but anyone in the industry knows what it means. Anyone with questions look here; http://www.ase.com/

Yes. Thank you.