Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

K & N

Does anyone here have a K & N air filter? If so, do you like that brand? How long does it last? Do you get any added HP? Would you buy one again if you needed to?

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Bino
Written Off

I have a K&N on both my vehicles, I do like the brand, they are guaranteed for the life of your vehicle (they last a long time). I have never noticed a SOP (Seat Of Pants) performance increase. But, they obviously advertise a power increase. I will buy a K&N for my future vehicles as well.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I do, its worth the 40 bucks, raises like 2 hp and its not noticable, they last literally forever, longer than the life of your car really. And I would buy many others but I don't need to, because remember its good for the life of your car
Old 10-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

i have one on the supra. dont notice any power gains, but i bet it will last longer than wat I will live. hella easy to clean, may i add.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I've used K&Ns on my race vehicles. They do last a long time if taken care of like the manual says. They are surprisingly effective in dirty environments, even though logically if they flow more air, they should let more dirt through. But the filters themselves only add MAYBE 1-2 hp and 1-2 mpg on a good day. Not enough to really feel when driving, but they will allow OTHER improvements to work better.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #6
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

I got one on my car. I think I noticed a slight difference at very high rpm, but not for sure. I still think it's worth the money. It's defintely a better deal than the short ram intakes.
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Bottom line it that K&N is the best choice for air filters period. My dad has one in his Alfa Romeo 164L, and my mom has one in her Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. They do give a pretty decent performance increase, and they do last a long time. We've hadours in our cars for almost 3 years.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #8
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Do I have to special order one or can I just go to a WalMart and get one?

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
adamc44
CF Freak

heres where i went just yesterday....http://www.4filters.com/ they have free shipping over 35 bucks.
you can get them at autozone, advanced or most other auto parts places...

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

I have K&N in both cars as well. In theory, in fall and spring you should see the most imporvemnet in gas and hp output, summer it should actualy less benificail (sp?) In my Jeep I noticed a 2.5 mpg raise in fall and spring, Summer wasn't bad either. Winter...... well my gas mileage in winter is another story. The other car is my mom's Denali, raise in mpg as well. IMO well worth the $40, never needds replacing so it will pay for itself (slowly in gas) as well as replacement filters
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

beneficial my good friend......

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I've used K&Ns on my race vehicles. They do last a long time if taken care of like the manual says. They are surprisingly effective in dirty environments, even though logically if they flow more air, they should let more dirt through. But the filters themselves only add MAYBE 1-2 hp and 1-2 mpg on a good day. Not enough to really feel when driving, but they will allow OTHER improvements to work better.
Chris, of all people I'm surprised that your logic leads you to that conclusion.

The concept is very simple really. Let's say you have an air filter with X square inches of filter area and it flows Y cfm. Make a filter out of the same material that has Xx10 filter area, it'll flow Yx10 cfm. That's why when you pull a filter out of the box, always look at the number of pleats. More pleats equals more surface area and all other things being equal, more air flow. Additionally, unlike a paper filter that is quite thin where the air goes essentially straight through, the K&N is a heavy guaze so the air has to take a circuitous route through filtering more dirt. K&N's are also known for actually working better when dirty because the dirt actually helps to slightly slow down the airflow giving the filter more time to work.

Whew. No I don't work for K&N, but I have run them on cars and motorcycles for years. I have one pair for dual Webers that I've owned and used for over 30 years now on several cars and they still work and almost look new. They're part of my "old skool" goodies now.

Last thought. Be careful using them or any oiled air filter on Mass Airflow sensor equipped engines. I've seen many cases where airflow will pull oil with it and contaminate the MAF sensor heated wire which causes drivability issues and can even damage the sensor.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Chris, of all people I'm surprised that your logic leads you to that conclusion.

I'm trying to balance what all the racers I know use, and the results of tests like this:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...98/index4.html

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 11-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I understand that and have read those findings and ones like them before. There are filters that flow better than K&N and the are filters that clean better than K&N but I think overall for most applications and most people they're about the best going. Let's face it, most people don't maintain their cars properly and a K&N will continue to filter after a paper filter has shut down. Also keep in mind that all three links provided tested different models of different filters in different ways and came up with somewhat different conclusions and I wouldn't call any of them liars.

A road racer, unless they find the gravel pit outside of turn three, lives it's life in a pretty clean environment as does the average drag racer. Dirt track cars CAN be very abusive of filters. Off-road cars will kill a paper filter in no time. Plus anytime a paper filter gets wet they fall apart and stop filtering altogether. What I'm trying to get at is saying that one type or brand of filter is the best for every situation would be stupid and I hope I didn't convey that message. But all things being equal and lots of experience over the years, I think a K&N is the best all around filter on the street.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I agree completely, and have in fact argued with people that ONLY look at those tests and say K&N is apparently overpriced garbage. I mean in the first, diesel test, they said the K&N lets more dirt through AND clogs up faster. Well, that's mutually exclusive. If it's clogging up faster, it's TRAPPING more dirt.

Also the diesel tests are for low rpm engines, which have differnt requirements.

www.midatlantic7s.com