FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 AM   #16
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
hey buddy www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
time to be quiet now.

Notice he doesn't have the balls to "break in" a car. All his research is done on motorcycles...engines made to run high rpms...hmmm

The average car coming off the assy. line is not designed to run at high rpms like a motorcycle...Not even much more than 6k ish rpms...and certainly not to maintain those kinds of rpms. But if you have the cash...do it.

Your turn.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:50 AM   #17
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Notice he doesn't have the balls to "break in" a car. All his research is done on motorcycles...engines made to run high rpms...hmmm

The average car coming off the assy. line is not designed to run at high rpms like a motorcycle...Not even much more than 6k ish rpms...and certainly not to maintain those kinds of rpms. But if you have the cash...do it.

Your turn.
I also noticed that and that it would apply to any engine. Damit man, it has to be true, it's on the internet edit: forgot to say shutup

Last edited by lectroid : 05-03-2004 at 05:52 AM.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #18
DodgeRida67
Banned

That link is a load of crap. Every engine has different wear-in times and more. You have to seat your cam, wear in your rings ( different types of rings require different wear-in times. Some don't even have a wear in period ) , wear in the entire valve train, and tons of other junk. It's crazy to believe there's no break in period and you can race on the way home. That's total n00b bullsh*t.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #19
importluva
Obsessed with imports

i think that its main attraction is the price, albeit in an ugly shell, but its unbelievable bang for the buck.

but if you really want a car that you can mod to 300+ hp, THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU.
bottom line: WRX w/ mods>>>>>>SRT-4 w/ mods

btw, i hate domestics.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:15 AM   #20
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
i think that its main attraction is the price, albeit in an ugly shell, but its unbelievable bang for the buck.

but if you really want a car that you can mod to 300+ hp, THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU.

btw, i hate domestics.
http://www.srt4forums.com/forums/sho...&highlight=500

your joking though right? you do you know incredibly easy is it is to pull 300hp out of a srt4!??!?!

and that break in thing isnt about just Driving the shit out of it when you first get it, its talking about a different type of break in than Going super easy on it for the first couple thousand or so. it talks about putting load on the engine by going up a hill in a certain gear and such, which makes sense..... i mean do you really think it, the techonolgy behind building engines has really changed... that makes alot of sense.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:44 PM   #21
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

btw, i hate domestics.

300 hp in an SRT4? From the dealer. They start out near 240 hp at the crank. The factory warrantied Mopar Stage 1 gets that much power at the wheels (over 260 at the crank) and there are two more stages to go from the dealer!

Not to mention all the other aftermarket companies, like Howell performance (they sponsored my friend Don Howard's neon R/T, which is a 12 second daily driver N/A car...).

And I like the looks of the Neon bettter than the Subie (not saying the Subie is bad, mind you; I like them as well). I just find the Neon to be a bit better looking. I think they are more aggressive and purposeful.

And, hating a car due to where it's made is narrowminded and ignorant. It's an opinion based on mistaken information, and a misplaced desire to look cool to a select group of people, so you can feel superior.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #22
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
and that break in thing isnt about just Driving the shit out of it when you first get it, its talking about a different type of break in than Going super easy on it for the first couple thousand or so. it talks about putting load on the engine by going up a hill in a certain gear and such, which makes sense..... i mean do you really think it, the techonolgy behind building engines has really changed... that makes alot of sense.

All of a sudden, this songbird changes the tune's key...

Old 05-05-2004, 02:04 AM   #23
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Arthur,
sorry i wasnt clear. I realize the srt CAN be modded, but i think FWD is a disadvantage compared to the AWD WRX or RWD. It seems to me that FWD is the only thing holding the SRT back

ChrisV,
i dunno where you came up with "feelings of superiority", please dont concoct ideas and try to present them as mine. I do have a preference for imports, hence my login name, but i dont like/hate domestic cars. not because of where they are made, but b/c exterior designs are not as exciting and the cars used to flat out suck (i realize that they are since catching up and are offering more exciting products), but id still say that a supra, rx7, 350z, skyline, silvia, m5, wrx, evo, etc. would get me more excited than a mustang, vette, viper, ford gt, or any of the oldskool models. Im not saying domestics are inferior, just that i dont prefer them.

i will concede that i use the word 'hate' more often than i should
lets just say imports are my preference, domestics are not
Old 05-05-2004, 03:01 AM   #24
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Arthur,
sorry i wasnt clear. I realize the srt CAN be modded, but i think FWD is a disadvantage compared to the AWD WRX or RWD. It seems to me that FWD is the only thing holding the SRT back

ChrisV,
i dunno where you came up with "feelings of superiority", please dont concoct ideas and try to present them as mine. I do have a preference for imports, hence my login name, but i dont like/hate domestic cars. not because of where they are made, but b/c exterior designs are not as exciting and the cars used to flat out suck (i realize that they are since catching up and are offering more exciting products), but id still say that a supra, rx7, 350z, skyline, silvia, m5, wrx, evo, etc. would get me more excited than a mustang, vette, viper, ford gt, or any of the oldskool models. Im not saying domestics are inferior, just that i dont prefer them.

You'll soon notice that ChrisV requires full explanation to our opinions, likes, and dislikes...he cannot imagine that someone could just not like something for merely aesthetic distaste. We've been down this path before.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #25
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
ChrisV,
i dunno where you came up with "feelings of superiority", please dont concoct ideas and try to present them as mine.[/quuote]

As son as you say you hat something, you ARE using feelings of superiority.

In geeneral, the reasons are that you feel teh cars are inferior, right? that's what you said. You don't like them becaeu all of them, invariably, no matter HOW good they are, are in your mind, inferior.

What you'll find out soon, unlike Bav's rather mistaken assesment, is that I don't like people making unfounded statments of opinion, and holding on to them as though they are uncontrovertial fact. I dislike people that have formed opinions based on generalizations, and then make statements as though they are universal truths. Unlike Bav, I've been in this hobby/industry for a few dacades, and worked with many vehicles from nearly every genre in the automotve realm, as well as vehicles from most manufacturers going back many, many decades.

He can' t understand that forming an unwavering opinion using 2 or 3 years experience with one or two models is a bad thing. He thinks opinion alone is vastly more important that backing that opinion up with decades of experience. He can't SEE the difference between backing an opinion up with decades of experience, and backing it up with a "feeling" brewed over a couple years based on NO actual practical experience. He thinks they are, in fact, the same thing.

I like cars from every manufacturer, and i have no preference for any country of origin. Cars dont' care where tehy come from, and every manufacture has made problematic examples. Individual examples from ANY manufacturer can be great crs, and individual examples from any manufacturer can be rolling piles of dog poo.

Design and engineering is worldwide. the guy who designed the new Viper did Toyotas before this. A Korean is head of the '05 Mustang project. An american designed the Audi TT and before Chris Bangle (an American) took over BMW's design in 1992, Chuck Pelly (also of America) was head of BMW design since the early 80s. The actual design was done in their California studios, which isn't too far from Nissan's design studios where the 350Z was designed, as well as the previous 300 ZX. Ford's designs are by the same guy who headed Audi and VW design last decade, and quite a bit of their work is done in Europe. But an American is in charge of doing Mazda's design and branding. GM is in charge of Subaru, and the design of the current WRX is heavily influenced by designers from GM, though that wil change now that GM moved Alfa's head designer to Subaru. Even management moves around. Lutz is heading GM branding, but he woirked for Chrysler and Ford before that, and ran Ford of Europe after working for BMW and creating BMW's M division (including the incredible M1).

The point is that designers and managers are international, and the ONLY reason anyone thinks one is different than the other is predjudice.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:05 PM   #26
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

No one's ever doubted your expertise, mr hidden. The problem arises when a simple, "I don't like..." is put down because there is no 3 paragraph discourse on the experience and reasoning behind such unfounded thought.

To joke about it is one thing...but you're serious about full disertations on the matter.

Get over it...we are surrounded by 16yr olds that have no firm foundational reasoning behind anything they do or say. It's life in the big city.

All this want from a person that doesn't care whether these "kids" use rim or wheel...

Old 05-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #27
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels

Your turn.

You have to break in sport bikes too. You're not supposed to rev it over 4-5K rpm (even if the redline is 15K).
Old 05-10-2004, 07:34 PM   #28
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
In geeneral, the reasons are that you feel teh cars are inferior, right? that's what you said. You don't like them becaeu all of them, invariably, no matter HOW good they are, are in your mind, inferior.

What you'll find out soon, unlike Bav's rather mistaken assesment, is that I don't like people making unfounded statments of opinion, and holding on to them as though they are uncontrovertial fact. I dislike people that have formed opinions based on generalizations, and then make statements as though they are universal truths. Unlike Bav, I've been in this hobby/industry for a few dacades, and worked with many vehicles from nearly every genre in the automotve realm, as well as vehicles from most manufacturers going back many, many decades.

He can' t understand that forming an unwavering opinion using 2 or 3 years experience with one or two models is a bad thing. He thinks opinion alone is vastly more important that backing that opinion up with decades of experience. He can't SEE the difference between backing an opinion up with decades of experience, and backing it up with a "feeling" brewed over a couple years based on NO actual practical experience. He thinks they are, in fact, the same thing.

I like cars from every manufacturer, and i have no preference for any country of origin. Cars dont' care where tehy come from, and every manufacture has made problematic examples. Individual examples from ANY manufacturer can be great crs, and individual examples from any manufacturer can be rolling piles of dog poo.

Design and engineering is worldwide. the guy who designed the new Viper did Toyotas before this. A Korean is head of the '05 Mustang project. An american designed the Audi TT and before Chris Bangle (an American) took over BMW's design in 1992, Chuck Pelly (also of America) was head of BMW design since the early 80s. The actual design was done in their California studios, which isn't too far from Nissan's design studios where the 350Z was designed, as well as the previous 300 ZX. Ford's designs are by the same guy who headed Audi and VW design last decade, and quite a bit of their work is done in Europe. But an American is in charge of doing Mazda's design and branding. GM is in charge of Subaru, and the design of the current WRX is heavily influenced by designers from GM, though that wil change now that GM moved Alfa's head designer to Subaru. Even management moves around. Lutz is heading GM branding, but he woirked for Chrysler and Ford before that, and ran Ford of Europe after working for BMW and creating BMW's M division (including the incredible M1).

The point is that designers and managers are international, and the ONLY reason anyone thinks one is different than the other is predjudice.

First of all, i forgot about this thread, hence the late reply

im sorry, did you not read my previous post. I believe I explained why i prefer imports over domestics clearly. The CURRENT designs SUCK, i dont care where the hell the designer used to work, i dont like the current cars!! Whether that car is the SRT-4, mustang, camaro, or any oldskool ones like the yanko in Voda's sig, I DONT LIKE THEM!!! Now, if domestic manuf. w/ these so-called experienced designers made a car that appeals to me in the future, along the lines of the new Z or R34 skyline or supra or bugeye wrx (yes, i love those), i will gladly accept them and maybe even change my log-in name.

Make this, inferior aesthetically "In geeneral, the reasons are that you feel teh cars are inferior, right? that's what you said. You don't like them becaeu all of them, invariably, no matter HOW good they are, are in your mind, inferior."

Last edited by importluva : 05-10-2004 at 07:38 PM.