Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

The Stig

Anyone know who he actually is? Incase anybody was wondering (people who dont watch Top Gear maybe?), the Stig is the annonymous racing driver on the show. I have/had my suspisions about who he is, but now I'm not so sure, I initially thought it was ex-touring car driver/TV host Tiff Needell, he has a history with Top Gear and his racing background fits, too. I dunno though, lol. He's obviously someone who can be trusted to drive an F1 car.....in doors (as on the last show). I did think that maybe they varied him, depending on what he'd be driving, like for example, stick the F1 driver who actually drives said car, in the white suit etc.....Any ideas? A good freind of mine said that certain people have seen Tiff leaving the Aerodrome on a number of occassions, but I took it as a pinch of salt.....?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Anyone know who he actually is? Incase anybody was wondering (people who dont watch Top Gear maybe?), the Stig is the annonymous racing driver on the show. I have/had my suspisions about who he is, but now I'm not so sure, I initially thought it was ex-touring car driver/TV host Tiff Needell, he has a history with Top Gear and his racing background fits, too. I dunno though, lol. He's obviously someone who can be trusted to drive an F1 car.....in doors (as on the last show). I did think that maybe they varied him, depending on what he'd be driving, like for example, stick the F1 driver who actually drives said car, in the white suit etc.....Any ideas? A good freind of mine said that certain people have seen Tiff leaving the Aerodrome on a number of occassions, but I took it as a pinch of salt.....?
I think you'll fing the Stig is whowever they can get to drive the car on any given day, no doubt a professional that they couldn't afford to keep on retainer all the time. Why else would they make him a mystery man? If they could attach a real name to him, think of the credibility it would add to the show and their performance testing.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The first Stig (in black) was Perry McCarthy (which is why there was the change from the black Stig to the White Stig). The White Stig was apparently originally Damon Hill, but everyone's pretty tight lipped about it. Most likely it's simply a collection of drivers, depending on availability.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I think you'll fing the Stig is whowever they can get to drive the car on any given day, no doubt a professional that they couldn't afford to keep on retainer all the time. Why else would they make him a mystery man? If they could attach a real name to him, think of the credibility it would add to the show and their performance testing.
I know what you mean about Stig being more than one driver, but I'm not sure about the reasoning, I mean, I think the fact that he's annonymous would do the show more good, in my opinion it just adds to the good humour of the show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
The first Stig (in black) was Perry McCarthy (which is why there was the change from the black Stig to the White Stig). The White Stig was apparently originally Damon Hill, but everyone's pretty tight lipped about it. Most likely it's simply a collection of drivers, depending on availability.
I just done a quick search about Perry McCarthy, I didn't realise that was common knowledge, lol. The way I see it, the reason they changed his colour was because he drove off that Aircraft Carrier and 'died' lol (obviously not really, lol)...hence the white clothing of the current Stig. I see where you're coming from about changing the Stig and his costume though, due to being a new driver 'n all that.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
True_Brit
Has a new job!

It may sound like im lying but my dad met the current Stig in Falmouth ( Cornwall) hes a Rally Driver! Hes sort of polish/swedish/norweigian, he met him in a surf shop where the owner is a family friend apparently and had a little natter with him, but my dad has a memory like a drain and doesnt remember the name

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
It may sound like im lying but my dad met the current Stig in Falmouth ( Cornwall) hes a Rally Driver! Hes sort of polish/swedish/norweigian, he met him in a surf shop where the owner is a family friend apparently and had a little natter with him, but my dad has a memory like a drain and doesnt remember the name
I believe ya....thounsands wouldn't, lol.....just kiddin'

Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

some good stuff there. not much is definite though
I think its more entertaining if you dont know anyways

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Anyone got the vid of him driving off?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I thought he really died in Season 3 or whatever lol...I can't find the video, but it was in a V12 Jaguar where he tried to get it up to 100mph on an aircraft carrier...but ran out of space and flew off lol...But if he wasn't dead, who's glove was floating on the surface?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

welcome to CF

i mean hey your back

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I thought he really died in Season 3 or whatever lol...I can't find the video, but it was in a V12 Jaguar where he tried to get it up to 100mph on an aircraft carrier...but ran out of space and flew off lol...But if he wasn't dead, who's glove was floating on the surface?
I'll assume you're joking....lol. Welcome back by the way!

Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

You were all wrong. Here's a clip form tonight's show.

It's pretty obvious when they show him but totally unexpected...
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #14
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

You saw it on tv? What channel? I record it on BBC America but they're all re-runs.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
You saw it on tv? What channel? I record it on BBC America but they're all re-runs.
Not on TV, I have to download it