Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
DoughboyVT
CF Newbie

2007 Mazda 3s or 2007 Scion tC??

hello all... firstly i'll just apologize cause i know that this topic has come up all over the place in the past, however, im looking to buy one of them, i just cant decide which one. plus i havent been able to find any really recent discussions on the topic...

so please, any advise/opinions on which of these 2 cars would be the better choise overall would be greatly appreciated.
DoughboyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
DoughboyVT
CF Newbie

oh, and its the 3 sedan, just to clarify.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
oplease19
CF Newbie

For the price of one of these cars you could get a low-mileage MKIV Toyota Supra. You'd have a car that looks much better; that performs much better; that very few people have and so stands out; and whose very low production #s, combined with it's popularity due to movies and video games and it's engine that can handle WAY more horsepower than stock, means it will depreciate very little. In six years either of the cars you mentioned will have lost 60 to 80% of their value. The Supra will probably lose from zero to 20%.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

That's a hard decision. The scion looks meaner, but it also weighs about 100 lbs more, which isn't that much I suppose. Then again the scion has a slightly more powerful engine.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 10-09-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
glagon1979
daddy x3

scion tc
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
jaydez
CF Newbie

I vote for Mazda 3. My bro has one and its a great car.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Scion. Toyota quality, and a seemingly vast aftermarket for them (growing also)
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
For the price of one of these cars you could get a low-mileage MKIV Toyota Supra. You'd have a car that looks much better; that performs much better; that very few people have and so stands out; and whose very low production #s, combined with it's popularity due to movies and video games and it's engine that can handle WAY more horsepower than stock, means it will depreciate very little. In six years either of the cars you mentioned will have lost 60 to 80% of their value. The Supra will probably lose from zero to 20%.
Just because it's a car you'd rather have doesn't mean it's the car for everyone else. He's looking at newer cars, and probably just wants something that looks nice and gets him from A to B. Instead you're recomending a sports car. YOU think it looks better, and a non-turbo Supra isn't going to perform that much better, even though the person never said anything about performance. He's considering new cars, which come with a warranty. A ten year old Supra is going to be a lot more costly to run, and likely a lot less dependable. Yes, I would rather have the Supra, but I realize that it's not for everybody.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I'd advise you go for the Mazda3, but only because I have absolutely no experience with the Scion, lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
jaydez
CF Newbie

when I was looking for cars I tested both. the Scion offered way more for the money than the mazda. But the Mazda was by far more fun to drive.

The Scion feels very heavy in turns compared to the mazda3. The bad side is, to get the same features as a base model tC, the Mazda3 would be about 4-5 grand more.

The tC is truly the best bang for the buck in the compact car segment... but go test drive both and make the decision for yourself.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

I've driven the Mazda 3, it's fun to drive. Haven't driven the Scion but IMO it looks better. Wht do you prefer, how it feels or how it looks? Test drive both and see for yourself. They're both pretty reliable cars.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Just because it's a car you'd rather have doesn't mean it's the car for everyone else. He's looking at newer cars, and probably just wants something that looks nice and gets him from A to B. Instead you're recomending a sports car. YOU think it looks better, and a non-turbo Supra isn't going to perform that much better, even though the person never said anything about performance. He's considering new cars, which come with a warranty. A ten year old Supra is going to be a lot more costly to run, and likely a lot less dependable. Yes, I would rather have the Supra, but I realize that it's not for everybody.
I didn't say it was for everyone. I didn't say he HAD to get a Supra. I didn't say he was an idiot if he didn't get one. I offered an alternative that he might not have thought of, and laid out the reasons why I think it's a better choice.
As for performance, everyone considers performance, though everyone may put it in a different place on their priority list. Both the cars he mentioned are sporty cars, so I'm just nudging him towards an actual sports car that has the advantage of being rare. And, yes, a non-turbo Supra has a big performane edge over the cars mentioned. It's 0-60 time is nearly 2 seconds faster, which is an easily felt difference when driving. And it's handling is muxh better than these front-drivers. As for cost, the most likely scenario is that over 6 years he may spend $1200 more on repairs - it's a Toyota, it's probably not going to have a major problem. It'll just need brakes, timing belt, hoses, and one or 2 extraordinary things like a power steering pump or alternator. That $1200 would be more than offset by the retained value.

Last edited by oplease19 : 10-09-2006 at 09:52 PM.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
JKieley
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016

I was going to say something like this but you beat me to it nice.
JKieley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #14
DoughboyVT
CF Newbie

thanks for the input....

i actually have test driven both of these cars... i guess im just a very indecisive person. i basically liked them both. i liked how both drove and how both looked and how both felt... one thing is i have sorta always had a bias against scions since they have come out just because i hated how the first 2 looked i guess. i dunno, also, i dont wanna have the same car as a shit ton of other ppl on the road... i realize both of these cars will probably be popular on the road... but with the scions price and quality, my assumption is that its gonna explode onto the market...

anyway, thanks, keep the input comin.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #15
elchango36
WWJCD

Just wondering, will you be modifying this car? IF so, you might want to lean towards the Scion for it's bigger aftermarket.