Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
navy721
CF Newbie

1991 toyota celica battery light on.

So driving home the other night my battery light goes on right after I put the cruise control on. Does one have to do with the other? I drove about 250 miles with it that day alone... let it sit for a few hours and go back in hit cruise control and although i didnt see the excate moment when the battery light came on... it was very close in time. Car has 175k on it, havent had much of problem with it. The clutch has been slipping for the last month... but I treat it very nice and it gets by. I got home okay, but the next morning I did a load test on the batter and it isnt recharging. The battery is only a month old. I check the wiring to the alternator... they seem secure. I dont have a meter to read what its putting out but I did replace the altnator about 6 months ago. I check some fuses to see if any of them were shot. everything seem fine, dont know what to do about this. I'm a old volkswagen guy... and I'm not into all these wires and fuses and stuff... I use this car as my daily commute... and really need it to work. I dont know a good toyota repair shop in my area of new jersey.
navy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
DBain
CF Enthusiast

First thing you do is check and see if the alternator is charging, whether it be a gauge on the dash or a multimeter on the wiring from the alternator to the battery. Figure out if you're getting between 12.5-13.5V output. If not it's the alternator. Also with it running listen to the alternator and see if the pulleys making noise or the internals are junk. Check your wiring diagram from a haynes manual and see if it's tied into a voltage regulator and where, check those wires. Do this and we'll go from there.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
navy721
CF Newbie

the alternator wasnt charging so i replaced it, it worked for about an hour then the light came on and I checked it again. It wasnt charging. Took it off went back to pepboys, they tested it and it failed light diode. With new alternator in hand went home to install it, again the next time I took it around the block the light comes on. Im so frustrated, I'm afriad of taking it to a shop because I know I will get bent over. I had a friend who is a volkswagen mechanic look at it, and he cant really track it down either. I will check out the voltage regulator and see what that does. I'm completely lost on this one. mean while... my commute is 50 miles each way and I charge my battery daily and get home before dark. Sorta like a vampire.
navy721 is offline   Reply With Quote