Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #16
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Here's a quick scene taken from Keiichi Tsuchiya's Drift Bible:

That my friends is called the Heel-Toe downshifting method.
Here's a clip from Initial D:
Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
I actually like the old stuff like this, "Please stay" and "There goes my baby" are pretty good
Me too....so does my mum lol....I wasn't sure if you younger folk would get my pun (still not sure lol)...in theory I shouldn't be into that kinda music, given it's era, but ya cant beat a bit of "More than a number in may little red book" or "Like sister and brother" lol. Infact, I took my mum to see them a couple of years ago, fair enough, these days it's their off-spring doing the fancy footwork, but they're still amazing performers!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
fudge
let's fighting love

Chris, how did you manage to make a GIF out of a movie? Keiichi's footwork for driting isn't as frantic as other drifters but his brake drift are the best to watch.

As we're still on about footwork I'd like to ask a question, after watching aussie V8 Supercars the other day I was wondering why can those drivers can shift up without using the clutch yet when downshifting they need to use it for heel and toe? (Bearing in mind they use a H pattern gearbox like a normal manual gearbox)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Chris, how did you manage to make a GIF out of a movie? Keiichi's footwork for driting isn't as frantic as other drifters but his brake drift are the best to watch.

As we're still on about footwork I'd like to ask a question, after watching aussie V8 Supercars the other day I was wondering why can those drivers can shift up without using the clutch yet when downshifting they need to use it for heel and toe? (Bearing in mind they use a H pattern gearbox like a normal manual gearbox)
I imported the clip into Adobe Premiere Pro, selected the scene I wanted, converted those frames to gif's, and opened them in ImageReady, then just layer them all
Old 04-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #20
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
This help?
Quote:
Shifting without the clutch

It is possible to shift gears without using the clutch at all, by careful throttle manipulation. When transmissions were unsynchronized this was usually the easiest method, and still works in modern cars, although it requires a lot more practice than the usual methods described above.

Although the technique works in synchronized gearboxes, it is inappropriate in nearly all circumstances. A synchronized gearbox has a small clutch called a synchronizer (or "synchro") in every forward gear which brings the input and output rotation to the same speed before allowing them to engage. Like the main clutch, these synchronizing clutches use friction. These synchronizing clutches will allow for a margin of error when engaging without the main clutch. If the engine speed is somewhat too high or too low, the synchro will essentially take on the job that the fully engaged main clutch isn't doing. However, a synchro ring is not intended to do the job of a main clutch. Its job is to spin up or spin down just the input part of the transmission that is assumed to be disconnected from the engine. It is not intended to speed up or slow down the entire engine. Such experimentation done on a regular basis will prematurely wear out the synchro rings, which will have to be replaced.

On cars with a freewheel, such as the older SAAB with a two-stroke engine, shifting without the clutch is standard procedure. But actually, the freewheel is a form of clutch: one that is disengaged whenever the input rotation is slower than then output rotation. One must disengage the freewheel by allowing the engine revolutions to drop, which is analogous to pressing the clutch pedal.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting without the clutch/car crazy
It is possible to shift gears without using the clutch at all, by careful throttle manipulation. When transmissions were unsynchronized this was usually the easiest method, and still works in modern cars, although it requires a lot more practice than the usual methods described above.

Oh man, I was just gonna explain how to do this lol.....there's no need now, and I feel unimportant lol jk.....Fudge, this is actually easy to do, and to be honest, althought the statement says it takes alot of practice, it doesn't really. Shifting up gears without a clutch is however, easier than shifting down the gears. All you have to do to shift up is take your foot off the throttle and move the gear lever to the next gear. Shifting down requires you to give the car some gas, whilst in neutral, you also have to be travelling at an appropriate speed for the gear ya wanna shift down to. I find it easier to give the car gas whilst i'm putting pressure on the gear lever (as if to shift down, from neutral), when the engine returns to near idle, the lever should slip into a lower gear. The whole process takes literally a couple of seconds!

I wouldn't recommend any of you use this method in preference to using the clutch pedal though, as obviously, modern manual Gearboxes are designed to be used with a clutch lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-27-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote