Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

buyin a bike

well, as of today i began my journey of establishing credit, and in about 3 or 4 months i will be buying a street bike. my roomate just baught a kawasaki rx 10r ninja. 04 to be exact, and my other roomate is about to buy a honda 929, so therefore, i feel as if its about time, i try and get a bike... im thinkin about looking at a 99r6 or something, i dont know for sure (i dont want anything bigger than a 600... might venture out for a 750 gsxr, but i dont feel like killing my self right off the bat, im just gunna get a smaller bike so i can gt the hang of it. but yeah, shoot some ideas
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Sounds sweet, keep us posted on that

I'd suggest either an R1, or an R6, but I've lately started to like the Suzuki GSX600
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

suzuki gsxr 1000 (2005).

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

yeah, one of those gsxrs would be nice, but i also gatta find a decent price range... one of those special edition black gsxrs would be nice,,, i think they have that for the 600s
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Diomedes
CF Newbie

Hell yeah! Another biker! I'm getting ready to take the riders course (mandatory in R. I.) and I'll be getting one of my dad's bikes (he's gonna finance it to me)
Dual sports are the way I went, I wanna do some light trail riding.

BMW !!

Kawasaki!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows

I'd suggest either an R1, or an R6, but I've lately started to like the Suzuki GSX600

600s are still pretty powerful and for a first bike thats a lot of power too.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows

That's the dumbest, least educated, advice you could give a new rider about bikes. Two of my friends are experienced riders (one races GP bikes as a fairly serious hobby). They both owned R1's... they both sold them because they're just on a whole new level of powerful. It's too much bike for most experienced riders... and it's WAY too much bike for a newby.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
That's the dumbest, least educated, advice you could give a new rider about bikes. Two of my friends are experienced riders (one races GP bikes as a fairly serious hobby). They both owned R1's... they both sold them because they're just on a whole new level of powerful. It's too much bike for most experienced riders... and it's WAY too much bike for a newby.
Oops...I don't really know too much about bikes, and I have heard good about it, but alright, scratch that
Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 AM   #9
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

Buy a used kawi 250 for your first while. Sure it ain't the fastest (it'll still hit 100 and get there faster than a lot of cars) but it gets you used to everthing, and if you drop it on it's side, so what? Then once your done with it you can sell it to some other newbie like yourself. Heck you might want to keep it for a runner since it gets great gas milage(sp). My 8 cents worth
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
For a new rider, even a 600 could prove too powerfull. I agree about the R1 though, (Not that I'm calling Chris dumb lol) although it does make me wonder how gutsey they are (the riders that is).

Do you even need a motorcycle license over there? or can you just use your car driving license?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-24-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
For a new rider, even a 600 could prove too powerfull. I agree about the R1 though, (Not that I'm calling Chris dumb lol) although it does make me wonder how gutsey they are (the riders that is).

Do you even need a motorcycle license over there? or can you just use your car driving license?
For a new rider, someone that's never been on something with 2 wheels and an engine, a new 600 IS too powerful. Maybe an older cbr 600 or something.

btw mazda6 I think your on the right track with the older r6. Not as crazy as the new one, which makes 130 HP and revs to 17,500 rpm!
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.

Last edited by Scolson : 02-24-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Deifnatley dont start out with a big super/sport bike, even a 600 is insane.

I remember I was used to only trying out heavier cruisers (biggest one being 1200cc) and 125cc dirt bikes and could handle those with not much effort, first time I tried a CBR-600RR I thought I was going to die everytime a red light turned gree nand I had to accelerate...IT's sickening fast and I dont recommend a sport bike to anyone who is new to riding bikes.

Try and find an older bike (like even a crusier).

They do make sport bikes with smaller than 600cc engines...some have 250cc engines.

For instance the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, has a 248cc twin. Costs right under $3k too, brand new.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote