Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #16
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
1) You do not benefit from hitting the gym almost daily. Your muscles need a day to rebuild. Everytime you work out, you create micro-tears in your muscles. A day off is needed to repair those, which in turn gives you healthier, stronger, and larger muscles.

I agree with you about everything except for this one, yes i agree going daily isn't beneficial if you do the same exercise two days in a row or more but if you work different muscle groups different days that's fine, because you're giving certain muscles groups a "day off".

But I'm looking for a new program so I'm interested in yours.

Last edited by GreekWarrior : 12-16-2005 at 09:13 AM.
GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #17
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
I agree with you about everything except for this one, yes i agree going daily isn't beneficial if you do the same exercise two days in a row or more but if you work different muscle groups different days that's fine, because you're giving certain muscles groups a "day off".

But I'm looking for a new program so I'm interested in yours.

Well, I guess it really depends on how hard you're hitting it. If you're looking to build lots of power, typically that means that you are hitting it pretty hard, so you would benefit from giving those muscles a day off. I guess it is kind of ironic considering how much we did work out for football, but then again, it wasn't the same routine daily

Replied to your PM.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #18
glagon1979
daddy x3

or you could just get a job that keeps you in shape like landscaping or contruction.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #19
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I was told pretty much the same thing that Dodger just explained by the gym teachers at school. They do say you benefit more by working out every other day and resting every other day.

I've been thinking of going to the gym lately or doing various things even around the house/neighbourhood that would help (though outsides probably not a choice now as it's winter). I think adding more muscle would help (with the added weight of the muscle) as I alittle underweight (or so I'm told) at 132 lbs and being about 5'10" or so, plus being 16.

Anyone have any helpful ideas on how to get started, let me know (post here or pm me.. thanks).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
elchango36
WWJCD

Last year I was running, lifting weights (both machine and free weights), an playing ball. This year the only thing I've lifted is beer (and I got the belly to prove it ).
Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I dont go to the gym as it would prove too costly and to be honest I dont have the time. I will soon be getting some weights though....and I resently bought a Mountain Bike, in a vein attemt to keep fit lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #22
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I dont go to the gym as it would prove too costly and to be honest I dont have the time. I will soon be getting some weights though....and I resently bought a Mountain Bike, in a vein attemt to keep fit lol
Hopefully the bike looks nice so if you change your mind about the biking then it'll look nice sitting in the corner

Old 12-17-2005, 04:40 AM   #23
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Last year I was running, lifting weights (both machine and free weights), an playing ball. This year the only thing I've lifted is beer (and I got the belly to prove it ).

damn man, it's not a beerbelly, its an advanced liquid grain handling facility!
Old 12-17-2005, 05:19 AM   #24
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

No offense but most of that is common sense, dunno what those personal trainers told you but I'm willing ot bet my mustang I have mroe knowledge.

1) Who told you this? It is entirely UNTRUE. Depending on your workout plan hitting it almost everyday will not benefit. Common sense tells you if you work out most body parts doing it everyday isn't good.
It only isn't good if you are working out too many body parts.

-Most people hit one MAJOR muscle and one MINOR muscle a day and do that 5 days a week. GREAT workout plan gives enough time for healing

-For your muscle to FULLY heal and develop it is a process that takes anywhere from 3-5days (excluding forearms and abs), just because you can't feel it, that doesn't mean anything.

2) I don't agree with this one either. Depending on what you are capable of and what you are working out for, going for one or the other may suit you. Such as somebody with bad asthma or weak respiratory system. And no those aren't rare cases out there by ANY means.If you want to gain strength then for the most part you must eat more and by running you burn off alot of what could be used to build muscle. On the other hand if you are a runner, hitting the weights may be over doing it.

-As for stretching yes you should do that before and after, before to warm up, after because it tears your muscles a little more.

3) Can't agree either, for muscular strength the best would be about 75% of your max, 5-6 reps of 3 sets, on the last set go to failure, and I mean FAILURE, obviously have a spotter. Also for muscular endurance about 60% of your max for 8-12 reps for a total of 4 sets, last one to failure as well I believe.

4) Concentrating on one major muscle, not one area, for the most part bicepts and chest are among the top muscle groups. The major ones I would list as Bicepts, Chest, Back, Tricepts, and some legs though I don't do much legs. So a good workout may be a 5 day split with those major muscle groups and smaller ones such as forearms abdomen and some others.

-Also having the same routine for an amount of time is O.K. but having the same routine for about over 2 months is not good. Your body adjusts to your routine even if you are still pushing yourself just as much. Every 2 months you should switch up the workouts that you do, it will help you greatly to build muscle.

No offense but it doesn't seem like these personal trainers knew greatly what they were teaching. I too have been working out for some tims, mostly weight lifting, and I have talked to many different people from personal trainer's to reading about pro athletes workouts olympic training workouts and a number of other resources to learn what I Know.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #25
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
damn man, it's not a beerbelly, its an advanced liquid grain handling facility!
LOL, that's right!!! Go College!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 05:48 AM   #26
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Hopefully the bike looks nice so if you change your mind about the biking then it'll look nice sitting in the corner
Yeah, the bike will look nice in the corner lol

I rode from my sisters house on it the other day. It's only about 2-3miles, but I walked atleast half of it lol....I used to be able to cycle 2-3miles with ease when I was at school

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #27
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yeah, the bike will look nice in the corner lol

I rode from my sisters house on it the other day. It's only about 2-3miles, but I walked atleast half of it lol....I used to be able to cycle 2-3miles with ease when I was at school
Haha, that's all I do is either bike or walk. I'm used to it cause neither of my parents drive so if i ever wanna get somewhere then I have to do it myself lol.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #28
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

I use a different type of weight lifting but for some reason only my right arm gets bigger

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #29
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
I use a different type of weight lifting but for some reason only my right arm gets bigger

Spanky + Steve = Reacharound.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #30
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Spanky + Steve = Reacharound.
Whoa whoa whoa whatever you have for steve don't put me in it. I fly solo thank you.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote