Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Computer assistance please

The time has come to consider the purchase of a new computer for home use. Although I have a computer geek who takes care of my business needs, I want to try to save some duckets on the price of my personal system and this is why I'm here asking for your collective expertise. Please take a look at what I need.

Minimum System Requirements
Quote:
Microsoft® Windows XP, Windows 2000 SP2, Windows NT 4.0 SP6, Windows ME, Windows 98 SE
500 MHz Intel® Business class computer
128 Megabytes RAM
3.5" 1.44 MB internal diskette drive
DVD-ROM Drive
17" Super VGA color monitor 1024x768 resolution
8 Gigabyte hard disk drive or greater
Mouse
Keyboard
1 Parallel port
Inkjet printer or Laser Printer with FAX
Broadband Internet Connection capable
Optimum System Requirements
Quote:
Windows XP, Windows 2000* Intel Pentium 4 Business class computer or better
256 Megabytes RAM
3.5" 1.44 Mb internal diskette drive
3 DVD-ROM Drives
Sound Card and speakers (For training videos)
17" super VGA color monitor 1024x768 Resolution
40 Gigabyte hard disk drive
Mouse
Keyboard
2 Parallel printer ports (for multiple printers)
256MB USB Thumb Drive, Flash Drive or similar device to store daily database backups
UPS
Laser or Inkjet printer with FAX
Broadband Internet Connection capable
Okay, kids, this is how I see it. I want to get the biggest bang for the buck without spending to many bucks. After all, I can't write this one off. Who, what, why, where and how much am I looking at for something like this? Thanks.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Depending on the age and condition of your business computer, you could sell it to yourself at a good price, write it off, and then pick up a new business computer.

As for a system recommendation, I'll leave that to the true computer geeks.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Depending on the age and condition of your business computer, you could sell it to yourself at a good price, write it off, and then pick up a new business computer.

As for a system recommendation, I'll leave that to the true computer geeks.
That's a valid and workable idea, but I simply prefer to buy new for home use. Besides, by the time any of my business computers are ready to be retired they're about junk anyway. It's amazing how much abuse equipment takes when the people who are using it aren't the ones paying for it... or at least seeing the money come out of their pockets.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
boothe
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 321
Have you checked out CNet? I think they have a computer board, they know everything....
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothe
Have you checked out CNet? I think they have a computer board, they know everything....
If I do that, then I have to figure out which responder is full of sh*t and who knows what he's talking about. If I had that much computer knowledge, I wouldn't ask for the help. By asking for help on this forum, I already have a pretty good idea who I can trust and who doesn't have a clue. My resource pool is smaller but knowledge of the potential respondees is much better. Thanks for the tip anyway.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
That's a valid and workable idea, but I simply prefer to buy new for home use. Besides, by the time any of my business computers are ready to be retired they're about junk anyway. It's amazing how much abuse equipment takes when the people who are using it aren't the ones paying for it... or at least seeing the money come out of their pockets.
I understand completely.

You wouldn't need to wait for it to get to that point. You could write it off now for book value or a bit less and take the loss. (help you in taxes) Plus you could sell yourself only the CPU which doesn't get as much wear-and-tear as the keyboard. Then use the keyboard and monitor from your new machine with your older CPU. Just another

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
For business just go with something simple like an eMachines. Dont exactly need a dual core processor to run spreadsheets, so I would go for at least
2.6 GHz
512 RAM
250GB HDD (might need to store a lot of data)
Also go with an Intel and not AMD, try for Intel Pentium 4, I wouldnt reccoment celeron.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
For business just go with something simple like an eMachines. Dont exactly need a dual core processor to run spreadsheets, so I would go for at least
2.6 GHz
512 RAM
250GB HDD (might need to store a lot of data)
Also go with an Intel and not AMD, try for Intel Pentium 4, I wouldnt reccoment celeron.
Thanks for telling me... nothing. If I knew enough about computers for that to mean anything to me, I wouldn't have to ask. I'm looking for pretty specific recommendations about what to get and where along with how much to expect to pay. I already have two collections of computer technical jargon, another list doesn't help.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
i dont know what all that crap means but check pricewatch.com. they got some pretty nice deals there.
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
I'll do a search for you, see what I can find, does the monitor matter? Flat screen preferred? Or just a regular monitor? Or are you just looking for the computer itself?
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Thanks for telling me... nothing. If I knew enough about computers for that to mean anything to me, I wouldn't have to ask. I'm looking for pretty specific recommendations about what to get and where along with how much to expect to pay. I already have two collections of computer technical jargon, another list doesn't help.
If that isnt specific enough, then Il PM you a few links to specific machines and you can built from them. Something what youre looking for would be around 600-700. My frined just got one from dell, and they have a free 19in LCD upgrade I believe.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Thanks for telling me... nothing. If I knew enough about computers for that to mean anything to me, I wouldn't have to ask. I'm looking for pretty specific recommendations about what to get and where along with how much to expect to pay. I already have two collections of computer technical jargon, another list doesn't help.
Instead of going multiple parallel ports, have you considered getting either Ethernet or USB print server(s) so you don't need to add extra hardware into the PC itself?

I'd suggest going ethernet, that way, when you get your broadband (if you haven't already got it), get a multi port modem/router, so you can plug your printers into it too ... saves on a switch.

As for where to buy cheap in the states.....????
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Hey Hobo, this would be a bit easier if you also told us where you would be going to buy this PC. Online....Best Buy...... Circuit City.... I mean if you want us to be specific, how bout letting us know where you plan on shopping? I work at best Buy and sell computers so I could spit something out very quick for you. Also have you ever thought of asking someone to build one for you?
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I'll do a search for you, see what I can find, does the monitor matter? Flat screen preferred? Or just a regular monitor? Or are you just looking for the computer itself?
I definately want a flat panel monitor. I'll never own another cathode ray tube again. I'm glad you caught that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
If that isnt specific enough, then Il PM you a few links to specific machines and you can built from them. Something what youre looking for would be around 600-700. My frined just got one from dell, and they have a free 19in LCD upgrade I believe.
That'll work. Lots of bells and whistles, cheap price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Instead of going multiple parallel ports, have you considered getting either Ethernet or USB print server(s) so you don't need to add extra hardware into the PC itself?

I'd suggest going ethernet, that way, when you get your broadband (if you haven't already got it), get a multi port modem/router, so you can plug your printers into it too ... saves on a switch.

As for where to buy cheap in the states.....????
That noise you just heard was all of that jargon blowing right over my head. Yes, I already have broadband, but the rest of is lost on me.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
Hey Hobo, this would be a bit easier if you also told us where you would be going to buy this PC. Online....Best Buy...... Circuit City.... I mean if you want us to be specific, how bout letting us know where you plan on shopping? I work at best Buy and sell computers so I could spit something out very quick for you. Also have you ever thought of asking someone to build one for you?
That's part of the puzzle. None of those stores are within 50 miles of me, so it doesn't really matter. Someplace online would probably be the easiest and cheapest.

And yes, I can have my payrolled computer geek do it, but I'd rather see what else I can come up with.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.