Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
Mattbuyshouses
CF Newbie

Angry 1987 Mazda 626 Rear Wheel Bearing Problem

hello all!

Having an issue with the rear passenger wheel on this 626.

That last time it was driven the rear wheel began wobbling. Just took the wheel off, removed the spindle nut, keyed washer and drum came off just fine.

Looking closely at the drum we saw what was left of the outer bearing (only the outermost ring of the bearings) and pieces of the bearing still wrapped on the spindle.

Once the drum was off we noticed that there was no way to remove the inner bearing (which still remained on the spindle close to the knuckle) due to the remaining outer bearing race that was still on the spindle. It seems as though the outer race has welded itself onto the spindle and WON'T come off!

Has anyone seen this before?

At first we thought that perhaps the bearings were pressed onto the spindle and that maybe the last time it was serviced they used the wrong bearings but now I think my theory of the race welding itself into this position (or forced too far onto the spindle) is (are) more likely.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I have photos and can take better, more clear pix tomorrow during the daylight.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

ps I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. I wasn't aware the repair/maint forum existed as a separate forum. Thought the import forums would be the right place.

Last edited by Mattbuyshouses : 05-15-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Mattbuyshouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

It is entirely possible that the inner race has spun and damaged the spindle making it near impossible to get off. My first concern is that he car would have to be driven quite a distance with a bad bearing making a lot of noise to cause this. Shame on you.

You have two options. One is to score the inner race with a grinder/cutter/torch and then break it with a cold chisel. This will get it off in most instances, but the spindle may still be damaged. If it's not in bad shape you can clean it up with some crocus cloth, slide on a new bearing and roll. If the spindle is trashed, it's time to make a junkyard run for some new parts.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
jelletse
CF Newbie

ex Mazda 626 owner

I can tell you for sure that your inner race has cooked onto the spindle. I owned an 86 mazda 626 for 10 years, great car but utility trailer sized wheel bearings on the rear!
They had to be checked & repacked with grease religiously every year, once I got to know the growling noise coming from the the back end I knew it was time to do some wheel bearing maintenance or replacement! Too many rpms for those little guys.
Pretty tough to clean up a seized inner race! New or used parts might be your only solution.
Good Luck.
Jelletse
a.k.a John

<Link Removed>

No advertising!

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-18-2006 at 05:26 AM.
jelletse is offline   Reply With Quote