Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Taught the kid to drive stick yesterday...

It was a nice day and I had the Fiat out, so His mom and I decided to teach him to drive a manual trans car (he's 14 and getting close enough to driving age to start teaching him). He caught on pretty quick, only stalling the car a couple times. He still has some spacial awareness issues for parking, and he was surprised at how hard it actually was (much different than playing video games, eh?)

Started by letting the clutch out till it started to grab, then pushing it back in. Did that a number of times until he was comfortable with the concept, then had him slowly let it all the way out to get it rolling. Did that a few times until he was comfortable, then had him add throttle slowly while letting the clutch grab slightly then pushing it back in. Took a bit, but it works.

Then did the reverse to come to a stop. That's where he stalled it, from not pushing the clutch all the way in when stopping. Took a bit to get comfortable with that, too.

I'll be working with him over the next year, though, so he'll be good at it pretty quickly.

But when we were done, he was happy that he was able to do something half of the country can't do... And I figure if he can drive the Fiat, any regular manual trans car will be cake.

And even though I tend to "yell" at those who will only drive a manual trans, I think this is one of the essentials of knowing how to drive, along with changing your own oil, tires, and light bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (47.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (54.4 KB, 36 views)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote