Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
dancebaby
CF Newbie

help!

I am trying to buy a decent used car and I have found two cars for the same price $2000. 1st: 92 cadilac eldorado; 139k, v8 4.6L Northstar, needs front brakes fixed. 2nd: 86 BMW L7; 169K, needs ac fixed. Both cars are very clean and have been well maintained without any current mechanical issues.
I have heard that bmw is costly to repair and maintain and i've never heard opinions on cadilac repairs and maintenance. Does anyone have any advice for me? Any feedback or knowlege on these makes and models would be great. thanks!
dancebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Idkk the 7 series will most likely put you more money in the hole than you bought for it and the Caddy I really don't know how good it would be.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
2PInZ
CF Newbie

if i were you and 2k was my budget, i'd look at used toyota/honda models. ive seen pretty solid 93/94 civics being sold for like 2k. i'm not an expert, but from what i've heard, honda/toyota cars are pretty reliable for longer times....and i have a honda and a toyota, and this has been true for my 97 corolla....no major problem yet.
2PInZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
oplease19
CF Newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by a BMW L7, but if you mean a 735 or 750, run from that car as though Dick Cheney was approaching with a shotgun. A cursory Google search reveals those cars to have been maintainance nightmares, far beyond the usual BMW expensiveness. I'd buy a Honda Prelude or Toyota Celica if I were you.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I'm not sure what you mean by a BMW L7, but if you mean a 735 or 750, run from that car as though Dick Cheney was approaching with a shotgun. A cursory Google search reveals those cars to have been maintainance nightmares, far beyond the usual BMW expensiveness. I'd buy a Honda Prelude or Toyota Celica if I were you.

Not for the mid '80s, like he's talking about. It's the '94-95 V8 models that are the real problem, due to Nikasil engine alloys, and also issues with the digital displays. other than that, they are actually rather low maintenance for luxury cars. I know a number of them that have gone over 250k miles.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote